Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pres_Clinton

Stuttering Help

Guest Pres_Clinton

I am getting some stuttering still in FSX. I have tweaked it some with buffer pools and affinity mask. It happens mainly when I pan my view. Here are my specs does anyone with a simular system have any tips?[Display]Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor (3399 MHz)Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bitDirectX version: 11.0 GPU processor: GeForce GTX 295Driver version: 191.07Stream processors: 240 Core clock: 576 MHz Shader clock: 1242 MHzMemory clock: 1008 MHz (2016 MHz data rate) Memory interface: 448-bit Total available graphics memory: 4095 MBDedicated video memory: 896 MBSystem video memory: 0 MBShared system memory: 3199 MBVideo BIOS version: 62.00.6C.00.01IRQ: 16Bus: PCI Express x8 Gen2GPU processor: GeForce GTX 295Driver version: 191.07Stream processors: 240 Core clock: 576 MHz Shader clock: 1242 MHzMemory clock: 1008 MHz (2016 MHz data rate) Memory interface: 448-bit Total available graphics memory: 4095 MBDedicated video memory: 896 MBSystem video memory: 0 MBShared system memory: 3199 MBVideo BIOS version: 62.00.6C.00.01IRQ: 16Bus: PCI Express x8 Gen2GPU processor: GeForce GTX 295Driver version: 191.07Stream processors: 240 Core clock: 576 MHz Shader clock: 1242 MHzMemory clock: 1008 MHz (2016 MHz data rate) Memory interface: 448-bit Total available graphics memory: 4095 MBDedicated video memory: 896 MBSystem video memory: 0 MBShared system memory: 3199 MBVideo BIOS version: 62.00.6C.00.02IRQ: 16Bus: PCI Express x8 Gen2GPU processor: GeForce GTX 295Driver version: 191.07Stream processors: 240 Core clock: 576 MHz Shader clock: 1242 MHzMemory clock: 1008 MHz (2016 MHz data rate) Memory interface: 448-bit Total available graphics memory: 4095 MBDedicated video memory: 896 MBSystem video memory: 0 MBShared system memory: 3199 MBVideo BIOS version: 62.00.6C.00.02IRQ: 16Bus: PCI Express x8 Gen2

Have you tried the "unofficial" computer setup and FS tweak manual?http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041Also I'm not sure why your GTX295 is listed four times. Do you have a single GTX295 card? (which is actually two cards in SLI config - might be a cause of the problem)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

One of the most common causes of stuttering is the texture bandwidth mult setting in the FSX.cfgWhat is yours set at?IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Guest Pres_Clinton

295 is listed 4 times becuase I have 2 of them hooked up for quad SLI.

Don't know what the correct setting should be when using SLI but 295 sounds high.I use 120 having experimented with many diffrent settings.Consensus says that 40 is nearer the mark otherwise stuttering will occur.IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Guest 413X3

I have massive stuttering unless I change texturemaxload to 4096

Guest WarpAir

There are many ways to fix stutters , but two things that help a lot are this1 - Turn off Hyperthreading if you using i7, then increase your cpu speed.2- for quad core Set affinity mask to 14 in fsx.cfga good defrag also helps

295 is listed 4 times becuase I have 2 of them hooked up for quad SLI.
that's overkill for FSX - I'm assuming you play other games?Some people have reported micro stutter issues when running SLI, but as you can read above, others have had no issues....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest Pres_Clinton

Ya I play other games as well.

Are your FPS locked or unlimited? Are you running DX9 or the DX10 preview?With my system, If I don't lock the FPS in DX9 I get terrible stutters, especially in turns and when panning the view. I suspect this is because the fps are fluctuating from 90 one moment to 20 the next. I have it locked at 25fps and it's generally smooth, though I stay the heck away from the complex airports.In DX10 preview mode it works much better to set the FPS to unlimited (go figure). I get better fps with DX10 in general, but it's also more ... ummm ... let's say idiosyncratic.

Quad SLI is not doing anything for you, FSX only addresses one (of your 4)GPUs, so I would disable sli (for FSX) and see what happens, frames may even improve.I also get stutters with frames unlocked that smooth out with frames locked, so that could do it as well.

Are your FPS locked or unlimited? Are you running DX9 or the DX10 preview?With my system, If I don't lock the FPS in DX9 I get terrible stutters, especially in turns and when panning the view. I suspect this is because the fps are fluctuating from 90 one moment to 20 the next. I have it locked at 25fps and it's generally smooth, though I stay the heck away from the complex airports.In DX10 preview mode it works much better to set the FPS to unlimited (go figure). I get better fps with DX10 in general, but it's also more ... ummm ... let's say idiosyncratic.
I may have asked you before, but if not, have you tried FPSLimiter.exe? This has been a wonderful find for many, higher end Quad core P4's in particular, and I'm not sure about newer CPUs. But in any case, this is a frame lock that occurs BETWEEN FSX and your monitor, and lets you get the benefits of UNLIMITED frames (in FSX), but ameliorates the fluctuating frames responsible for frame surges n jerks that can happen in UNLIMITED mode. The benefits come from the fact that UNLIMITED in FSX seems to bring in some prioritizations/optimizations that you won't get when you lock frames in FSX. FPSLimiter.exe will allow to lock frames whereever you want, while running FSX in UNLIMITED mode. Plus, you can change the frame lock on the fly, which can be useful in certain situations. For example, when I set FPSLimiter to it's default 30 fps, I notice sometimes road traffic will run herky-jerky: but lowering the frame lock to 25 (incrementally using the F11 key) eliminates this issue with road traffic.Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Having tried all of the above after a fresh install of FSX can anyone suggest a way to reduce stutters.I seem to get them quite a bit and they are becoming annoying, im not even at a busy airport either, so its not like im really testing my system.I may keep playing around with the texture bandwith, i have this set to 80 at the moment, but more tweaking is needed i feel.But in the short term does anyone have any quick fixes or things to try??ThanksTom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722