I have an 8800GTS 320mb running FS2004, which is okay, but could be better compared to some videos I've seen.I have an opportunity to get an 8800GTX 768mb for a great price.Would it be worth it, will I see a big difference

Lyn the trucker

FSX - XP11 - MSFS         Ryzen 5900x - Asus X570 VIII Hero - RTX 4090 - G.SKILL Trident 32 GB DDR4 - WD SN750 M2 1TB + Samsung SSD 250GB - HP Reverb G2 - Win 10/64

I have an 8800GTS 320mb running FS2004, which is okay, but could be better compared to some videos I've seen.I have an opportunity to get an 8800GTX 768mb for a great price.Would it be worth it, will I see a big difference
Given that FS9 is a 95% driven CPU application, I don't believe you'll see much difference.From my own experience, on my previous rig (AMD FX-60), at one time I upgraded from a GeForce 7600GS 256MB Silent to a 8800GT 512MB and to tell you the truth; it wasn't the earth shatering experience I was hoping for. It gave me less than 10% fps increase and only marginal better image quality.

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

Given that FS9 is a 95% driven CPU application, I don't believe you'll see much difference.From my own experience, on my previous rig (AMD FX-60), at one time I upgraded from a GeForce 7600GS 256MB Silent to a 8800GT 512MB and to tell you the truth; it wasn't the earth shatering experience I was hoping for. It gave me less than 10% fps increase and only marginal better image quality.
Something is wrong with your config to only receive a 10% quantitative difference in performance moving from a 7600 GS to an 8800 GT. Unless you run really low graphics settings, of course.

Something is wrong with your config to only receive a 10% quantitative difference in performance moving from a 7600 GS to an 8800 GT. Unless you run really low graphics settings, of course.
That's what I've always thought, but I've never been able to figure out what the exact problem was. With other games I saw a hugh improvement, but with FS9 again it was only marginaly. Since the performance was compareable to someone elses rig I know, in the end I just accepted it.Not to say by the way that I had a really bad performance in FS9, but we're always looking for improvements, aren't we.My new rig is still in works (waiting 3 weeks now for delivery of the HD5870 graphicscard), but I have good faith that this baby will run FS9 in all its glory and FSX with descent relatively high settings, especially once I start overclocking it :(

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

fwerff:My mistake, I misread FS2004/FS9 as FSX for some reason. You can still receive a pretty significant increase in FPS in FS9 from a graphics card upgrade, as long as you already run high graphics settings (high res, autogen, lots of AA). Raw FPS is governed by CPU speed in MSFS, though.