Sign in to follow this  
falk781

747-400 Path Misalignment & Few Other Questions

Hi everyone, I am a new owner of the 747 for FSX. Everything seemed pretty straight forward, although I have a few questions:1 - Is there a course knob to rotate the VOR display for needle alignment. The the only way I can seem to get it to rotate is via entering a course number on the NAV/Rad page of the CDU.2 - Is there a way to manually adjust the trim. I see it on the quadrant, but there isn't any click spot.3 - If I set -10% for a Derated Take Off, I taxi into position and press the TH button? Nothing seems to happen and I can't engage A/P from the ground.4 - For some reason, as the pictures below indicate, the plane seems to track the GPS line at about a 20 degree perpendicular. I also noticed that the ILS does not line up, even though the frequency is set right. No scenery upgrades, although I found a wiki from PMDG that says it may need the registry update. I ran it and will retest. I read through some of the manuals, but must have missed where these answers were... I spent about 5 hours looking for it during this flight from RJAA to KLAX. Definitley need to work on getting my fuel calculations right. I followed the instructions and had enough to make it, but had the recurring "insufficient fuel" warning the entire way.** Edit ** I have verified the IRS alignment as exampled by the addiitonal picture below, do you think that the few 10ths is making a difference?Any help appreciatedScott FalkowitzASUS Rampage II - 6 G OCZ DDR 3 - Core I7 965 - 1000W P/S - BFG 285 - Radiated and Liquid Cooled

Scott Falkowitz

Core I7 965 - OCZ 6GB - Asus Rampage Extreme - 1000W - BFG 285 - Radiated Liquid Cooled - Twin 300 Raptors - Vista 64

First, the tracking error; this might help: http://ops.precisionmanuals.com/wiki/How_t...Tracking_ErrorsAll radio stuff is via FMS, including CRS.Ready for takeoff, VNAV & LNAV armed, FD on AT armed, click TOGA hotspot once after confirming enigine performance at about 70%. AP will engage after 400 AGL. Manual has pretty good narrative on normal procedures.Trim is either via VC trim wheel or MSFS default trim keycommands, or your game controller.

Dan Downs KCRP

1.- No, there is not.2.- You can do it via the standard trim buttons (up & down) in your joystick. Place the mouse pointer over the trim indicator in the pedestal and you'll see the actual trim reading.3.- What is the TH button?. You must first ARM the autothrottle and then push the TOGA button. A/P can not be engaged from the ground (400 ft altitude or higher if I remember).The insufficient fuel alert does not just mean you may have not enough fuel to reach your destination, it will be triggered if you enter a very high reserve fuel quantity.

1.- No, there is not.2.- You can do it via the standard trim buttons (up & down) in your joystick. Place the mouse pointer over the trim indicator in the pedestal and you'll see the actual trim reading.3.- What is the TH button?. You must first ARM the autothrottle and then push the TOGA button. A/P can not be engaged from the ground (400 ft altitude or higher if I remember).The insufficient fuel alert does not just mean you may have not enough fuel to reach your destination, it will be triggered if you enter a very high reserve fuel quantity.
I can't seem to find the TO/GA button anywhere, other than the FMC. It says armed, but I don't know how to engage it on take off? Also, I can't find any clickspots to change the stabilizer. I've looked now for 2 hours. Can anyone provide a picture or a clear path to what it is?

Scott Falkowitz

Core I7 965 - OCZ 6GB - Asus Rampage Extreme - 1000W - BFG 285 - Radiated Liquid Cooled - Twin 300 Raptors - Vista 64

The TOGA button, in the real plane, is behind the thrust levers. In PMDG Boeings is placed in the screw-head over the Flight Director switch in the MCP (Mode Control Panel). You can also assign one key of your keyboard using the PMDG menu (I use "T" for TOGA).

The TOGA button, in the real plane, is behind the thrust levers. In PMDG Boeings is placed in the screw-head over the Flight Director switch in the MCP (Mode Control Panel). You can also assign one key of your keyboard using the PMDG menu (I use "T" for TOGA).
Hey!!! I found it, well, you found it... thanks alot!! That takes care of that.. Also, it seems to be tracking the plan line better now that I did the registry update. Any idea on where the trim wheel is?

Scott Falkowitz

The wheel is on the throttle quadrant, next to your leg where you can reach down with the right hand and touch it. I use either buttons on my joystick mapped via MSFS control assignment or the default number pad Home and End (turn NumLock off). Same as any airplane.

Dan Downs KCRP

The wheel is on the throttle quadrant, next to your leg where you can reach down with the right hand and touch it. I use either buttons on my joystick mapped via MSFS control assignment or the default number pad Home and End (turn NumLock off). Same as any airplane.
Dan, Is there a clickspot there,because if there is, I can't find it. I see the gauge to the left of the throttle quadrant, but I can't get it to move.

Scott Falkowitz

Not the gauge, but the trim control to the left (I think) of it. Maybe I'll get a screen shot for you if you can't find it.EDIT: Here is an example of my memory loss... there's no mechanical trim "wheel," just as you found. Use either the trim buttons on your controller or the Home and End keys on the number keypad with NumLock off.

Dan Downs KCRP

Not the gauge, but the trim control to the left (I think) of it. Maybe I'll get a screen shot for you if you can't find it.EDIT: Here is an example of my memory loss... there's no mechanical trim "wheel," just as you found. Use either the trim buttons on your controller or the Home and End keys on the number keypad with NumLock off.
Just to close the loop on this. Thanks alot for your help, it seems to be moving the trim when I do what you said.

Scott Falkowitz