Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stompy

technical aviation question

hi all,can anyone tell me whats the difference between Final and Short Final?Also will Fs2004 ATC cater for both?

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest CYOW_pilot

You would have to ask an ATC guy if there is a real definition but in 20 years of flying I have never come across one. There is no set point but for me somewhere around a mile or less from the runway is what I would call short final. Again, this is just a personal opinion and I doubt there is a real definition.Can't speak to FS2004 (Since PIC767 won't work there I am not interested).Kevin in CYOW

From one with extensive real world air traffic control experience, I feel somewhat qualified to provide you with what should be the definitive answer to your question. The final approach leg of the traffic pattern is one wherein the aircraft is established on the magnetic bearing to the runway.....ie. no further turns to continue to the runway. The distance can vary widely depending on the type of approach and traffic conditions present at the airport of landing.The term "short final" is normally used to describe an aircraft's position in reference to the runway. Usually inside of one mile final and up to and including the overflight of the runway's approach lighting system.Hope this clears up any confusion.

People call final far to far out. I would tend to call short final as a warning that I am about to land especially if an aircraft is waiting to line up for takeoff or as a position report.So short final could be taken from around 200 feet. Final I would call at no more than 1 mile and long final at 4-6 miles out.With the advent of GPS it is now common to hear six mile final 3 mile final one mile final etc.Peternb The most annoying is when a C150 calls final at 4 miles and 70 kt groundspeed

I agree with Peter its more a matter of traffic and I would call short, less than one mile from the threshold. Landing at uncontrolled fields especially ones where lots of training activity is present requires extra vigilance.Also I have a grip/pet peeve while were on the subject of final/short final.Why do some call it

Guest Stompy

Hey, gimme a break! I'm still practicing! :-lol

Guest CYOW_pilot

The term final"s" is usually heard in the UK (and perhaps Australia). It's just the way they say it, a dialect if you will. Kevin in CYOW