Sign in to follow this  
ramprat

Free Anti-Virus from Microsoft

Hi All,I just installed Microsoft Security Essentials. It's a free anti-virus program that has been out in beta form since June of this year. After telling it to leave FSX and ASA alone, it seems to be leaving a pretty small foot print. FSX runs as well as it ever did. Has anyone else tried it?

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

Guest ziporama
Hi All,I just installed Microsoft Security Essentials. It's a free anti-virus program that has been out in beta form since June of this year. After telling it to leave FSX and ASA alone, it seems to be leaving a pretty small foot print. FSX runs as well as it ever did. Has anyone else tried it?
Yes, it works wonderful and has very few tentacles in the system - it replaces Defender, so it's both and a/v and anti-spyware. Doesn't do anything else. It's nice to have an a/v solution that sticks to being an a/v solution. My previous solution worked well but got incredibly bloated over the years with stuff I didn't need. Seems to function on any client version of Windows, starting with XP SP3 forward in 32 bit or 64 bit flavors.Ars Technica has an article of it here. Highly recommend thus far.D/L link here: Microsoft Security Essentials

Yep,Works better than wonderful!And I did not tell it to leave anything alone.I just installed it and let it do its thing.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Well I just D/Led and installed it. I was out of my subscription from my last AV, so hopefully this works...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I never have to shut it down.It is FS9 and FSX friendly.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Thanks for the heads up.Too many AV products these days feed on fear with all these fancy things like..."anti root kit surf shield Email link defender"...etc. most often driven by some marketing department.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Another thanks for the heads up.....Just d/l and installed....Lou

Cool!My AV sub was up also......Thanks for the heads up! :(

Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

https://www.pcflyers.org/

Yes, thanks for the heads-up from me as well. I just rebuilt my system as a Win7 ultimate 64-bit system, and installed this last night after reading this post! :( Jim

Jim Blake
Captain, SWA Virtual Airlines
Real World C172 Pilot, AOPA #06034701
 sig_concordeX.jpg  Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Yes, I installed this right after it was released. It's very good, extremely easy to setup and use. They designed it so a third grader could understand it, and that's not a bad thing. :( Curt

... My previous solution worked well but got incredibly bloated over the years with stuff I didn't need. Seems to function on any client version of Windows, starting with XP SP3 forward in 32 bit or 64 bit flavors.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work with XP 64 bit (only XP 32 bit), but does work on Vista 64 and Win 7 64 bit versions. :( Brent

How's the performance during the system scan?

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Can anyone using this AV comment on the definition updates, are they separate from Windows update or bundled in like Defender is? Thanks.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

If this will provide the same level of security as any top pawayre anti-virus application out there, it'll be a massive slap on the face to all the AV software manufacturers.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |