Sign in to follow this  
raymar

Engine Choices with 747-400X

I see the Queen of the Skies has 3 different manufacturers represented in the engine department. Is there a consensus of which supplier is the better or worse, or does one sound better or fly better or whatever? Comments for a rookie? Thanks.

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Guest Major Pilot

Hi RaymarThe PMDG folks made 3 different models but they all use the same engine data, GE. The GEs are pushing 62,100lbs of thrust which is right in the middle of PW and RR. the PWs are at 63,300 each. I would like to refer you to yhe Boeing Detailed Technical Characteristics for the 747-400 section 3 Performance. http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/acaps/7474sec3.pdf There you can find all the range information you need.Mike

Hi RaymarThe PMDG folks made 3 different models but they all use the same engine data, GE. The GEs are pushing 62,100lbs of thrust which is right in the middle of PW and RR. the PWs are at 63,300 each. I would like to refer you to yhe Boeing Detailed Technical Characteristics for the 747-400 section 3 Performance. http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/acaps/7474sec3.pdf There you can find all the range information you need.Mike
Thanks Major Pilot, lots of data there.

"Raymar"PLEASE NOTE: We require all users to sign their name while operating in this forum. Thanks.From the perspective of the pilot, there really isn't much difference in performance between the engine types. There are differences on the engine displays, but in terms of performance it is mostly negligible.The differences on the engine displays will provide you with a few interesting variations. When I was typed on the airplane, we had to demonstrate competence with all three sets. It really wasn't hard to do- and I liked the variety... So from the context of our simulation, you can choose whichever engine variant is visually attractive, sounds good, or matches the livery that you choose to fly.The liveries on our download pages are all "engine correct" to their airlines- so download a few of your favorites- and have some fun!Also- if you are interested in learning how to fly the -400 without too many headaches- try the "Type Rating Courses" we've made available from our site. They will give you some of the basics.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

"Raymar"PLEASE NOTE: We require all users to sign their name while operating in this forum. Thanks.From the perspective of the pilot, there really isn't much difference in performance between the engine types. There are differences on the engine displays, but in terms of performance it is mostly negligible.The differences on the engine displays will provide you with a few interesting variations. When I was typed on the airplane, we had to demonstrate competence with all three sets. It really wasn't hard to do- and I liked the variety... So from the context of our simulation, you can choose whichever engine variant is visually attractive, sounds good, or matches the livery that you choose to fly.The liveries on our download pages are all "engine correct" to their airlines- so download a few of your favorites- and have some fun!Also- if you are interested in learning how to fly the -400 without too many headaches- try the "Type Rating Courses" we've made available from our site. They will give you some of the basics.
Thanks Robert, Sorry I omitted the signature itself, just not used to doing it. I appreciate the response on the engines. I have already downloaded the Type Rating files from your site. I am trying to get a slow start with the 747, but, I have sooooooo much information to absorb. I am going to do some reading and knob turning for a short while then take to the air. I am getting a lot of support from the forum members. I think it is great to come into this well after the project has been on the streets for a while and lots of pilots have worked out the details.Ray Marshall

Just as an aside as well Ray - if you fly a GE 747 then decide to fly another livery (without quitting) please choose either a P&W or RR version rather than another GE version. There is a 'hidden feature' in FSX that can sometimes cause smoke to pour out of the engines even when off and the overhead panel can corrupt - not often but it can happen - just don't choose the same engine version as you've just flown.Another is when you open an item in the menu bar - fsx can lose focus sometimes and the autothrottle will be disconnected (no display on the left of the FMA) and the FMS wil display MAX FLIGHT LEVEL xxx. Just hit VNAV twice and then clear the message. Good ol' M$ lol.Have a good play with the knobs in flight just to see what effect each has - I don't think any of us will profess to know it all but most will try and help.John Ellison

Just as an aside as well Ray - if you fly a GE 747 then decide to fly another livery (without quitting) please choose either a P&W or RR version rather than another GE version. There is a 'hidden feature' in FSX that can sometimes cause smoke to pour out of the engines even when off and the overhead panel can corrupt - not often but it can happen - just don't choose the same engine version as you've just flown.Another is when you open an item in the menu bar - fsx can lose focus sometimes and the autothrottle will be disconnected (no display on the left of the FMA) and the FMS wil display MAX FLIGHT LEVEL xxx. Just hit VNAV twice and then clear the message. Good ol' M$ lol.Have a good play with the knobs in flight just to see what effect each has - I don't think any of us will profess to know it all but most will try and help.John Ellison
Thanks John, I am starting me a book of notes.Ray Marshall