Sign in to follow this  
Guest PhilC

Messenger Popup Screens

Guest Gordon

Everytime im flying i always get the stupid Messnger Service Popups and when i click on them to go off my Flight Sim Minimises, this is really annoying when im on multiplayers, landings and bush flying between the hills. Can anyone tell me how to disable Microsofts little "feature" before it does it again and i take a shotgun to Bill Gates' Head?Gordon :-mad

John, do you know if one can use Messenger to send messages to others on the web? I have Win2K Pro and did in fact disable messenger as you describe. But I was wondering if I could send others' messages using this feature and can't find any info in Help re this.Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Guest WorkingStiff

You don't need Messenger Service unless you're on a network and the administrator wants to send a broadcast message to all users.Messenger Service is not the same as Microsoft Messenger so it is safe to turn it off. I always wonder why Microsoft has it turned on by default.

Guest PhilC

Gordon,If you are talking about Windows Messanger and you want to continue using a messanger for instant messages, you can just right click on the tray icon and sign-off before you start flightsim or you can download the latest MSN Messanger preview. It has an option to shut off messages automatically when you are in full-screen game/application mode.If you want to get rid of it completely follow the instructions above. I just wasn't sure what your needs are.

Guest outtatimeiii

Yes, with any NT based system you can, but its basically unusable if the other end has the messenger feature turned off. All you need to do is load up a DOS box and type 'net send IPaddress "Message"'. So if I want to send a message to a machine on my LAN, I would type 'net send 192.168.0.100 "Hi"' and it will send to that computer.Its a shame that people had to abuse this feature. I used it a lot on my local computers so I didn't have to go to that computer to tell the user something (since both the other computers are downstairs).

Guest claudius41ad

That is a useful tip. Thank you. I had the same problem as well.I have found though that when you restart or reboot - the programme reverts back to normal. I presume that one needs to disable it again before you fly. It seems that it doesn't stay disabled.Regards Roger

Guest PhilC

Thanks for the info.Is this the same Windows Messanger that can be disabled through the group policy editor (gpedit.msc) or is it the service that can be disabled in the services dialog? Does disabling the service stick?I am running WinXP.