Sign in to follow this  
Guest metaleye

Auto Pilot

Guest metaleye

Hello to all:Well, here I go, usualy when I take off with my aircraft, I have the Auto Pilot off. After I reach about 1000 ft. I turn the Auto Pilot on, and set the heading and alt hold to active. The heading and altitud are selected before taking off. The problem is this, if I let go of the joke the aircraft will start to go nose down and lose altitud even when the Auto Pilot is active and the alt selector is active. Question, What is happening with the Auto Pilot that is not holding the aircraft on a nose up attitud so it can continue to climb to the selected alt on the Auto Pilot display. I have to help the Auto Pilot by holding back the joke and slowly moving it to the neutral position so the Auto Pilot can take over. Please help. Is this normal.Thank you for your time.Miguel

Yes, in my experience this is quite normal. Try flying the plane at a modest rate of ascent as you activate the autopilot, then allow it to take over when its ready.Alastair

Guest RSmith

Miguel,It's all trim ! Try this - as you lift off, use your yoke trim controls to gently get the aircraft to hold your selected rate of climb and angle of attack. When you have the aircraft in a stable condition (hands-off yoke, straight & climbing at your desired rate), then activate you A/P. This assumes that you have set your vertical speed bug at the same rate as your preferred rate of climb, that you have just set manually - otherwise, the A/P will quickly change the pitch of the aircraft (up or down) to match what you have set the A/P vertical rate setting to.....An example - I fly the King Air most often. I'll depart an establish an easy 1500 - 1800 FPM climb out manually, with trim on my joystick yoke. Then, I'll activate my A/P with a vertical speed setting of 2,000 - 2,500 after I get my climb clearance from ATC. By then, aircraft is cleaned up, gear up, and airspeed capable of sustaining the climb. The change from 1800 FPM to 2000 FPM is gentle, and I then use the verticle speed bug to adjust climb rates as desired.The aircraft manuals provide best rate of climb, climb speeds, etc. for your reference.Hope that helps......

Guest metaleye

Help is always here!Thank you all.Miguel