Sign in to follow this  
mhlarsen

FSX & TripleHead2Go & 4th monitor

I have FSX running on Win 7 64 using TripleHead2Go with 3 monitors (3840x1280) on a GTX280 card.I have just added a 4th monitor, but when I maximise FSX it goes dark. My intention is to use the 4th monitor for various other programs.I do not want to run FSX in window mode, so what can be done about this?

I have FSX running on Win 7 64 using TripleHead2Go with 3 monitors (3840x1280) on a GTX280 card.I have just added a 4th monitor, but when I maximise FSX it goes dark. My intention is to use the 4th monitor for various other programs.I do not want to run FSX in window mode, so what can be done about this?
Have you made sure you have the correct resolution set for the 4th monitor in FSX?Noel W

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold

Have you made sure you have the correct resolution set for the 4th monitor in FSX?Noel W
My 4th monitor runs 1680x1050, is this a problem?I will try changing it to 1280x1024.

My 4th monitor runs 1680x1050, is this a problem?I will try changing it to 1280x1024.
Tried changing 4th monitor to 1280x1024, but same result as before.

FWIW- Somehow, somewhere, I have a vague recollection that Win 7 does not support multi monitors- ie your 4th mon. (I think TH2Go is seen as a single mon as far as the CPU goes.) Alex Reid

Tried changing 4th monitor to 1280x1024, but same result as before.
MichaelHmmm, I just read your original post again, "My intention is to use the 4th monitor for various other programs." I think I misunderstood what you're trying to do. It's common to use the a setup like you've described to undock and place intrument panels onto the 4th monitor. It sounds like you may be wanting to run other programs outside of FSX. If that is the case, I don't know of a way to do that. When running FSX in Full Screen Mode, all screens connected become part of the FSX world. If there is no panel or scenery placed on a monitor, it's just black. This is all really a good thing when dragging the various panels and popups in FSX to mulitiple monitors. Windowed mode is the only way I know of that would work, but you already indicated that you didn't want to do that.What program(s) are you wanting to run on the 4th monitor? Could you perhaps use a client machine instead? That's how I run TouchBuddy, FSMap, and my approach plate program, using an old computer and and old router.Noel W

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold

MichaelHmmm, I just read your original post again, "My intention is to use the 4th monitor for various other programs." I think I misunderstood what you're trying to do. It's common to use the a setup like you've described to undock and place intrument panels onto the 4th monitor. It sounds like you may be wanting to run other programs outside of FSX. If that is the case, I don't know of a way to do that. When running FSX in Full Screen Mode, all screens connected become part of the FSX world. If there is no panel or scenery placed on a monitor, it's just black. This is all really a good thing when dragging the various panels and popups in FSX to mulitiple monitors. Windowed mode is the only way I know of that would work, but you already indicated that you didn't want to do that.What program(s) are you wanting to run on the 4th monitor? Could you perhaps use a client machine instead? That's how I run TouchBuddy, FSMap, and my approach plate program, using an old computer and and old router.Noel W
Noel- you indicated that Windowed mode would allow one to have a non FSX application open at same time as FS. It is also same in FS9- But the sim goes into pause mode when the other application is invoked or used. So it could be useful as a FS support info display but not so helpful as a working application.The screenie shows (a very) old version of FS Build open with FS9 running. Click on Build and you Pause FS.Alex Reid

It is also same in FS9- But the sim goes into pause mode when the other application is invoked or used.
Hey Alex, I believe there is a setting w/in FS9 that allows you to disable pause on task switch. The sim will continue to run if oyu switch to another app.

Hey Alex, I believe there is a setting w/in FS9 that allows you to disable pause on task switch. The sim will continue to run if oyu switch to another app.
Jeff- Clicking on FS Build (the secondary applic.) stops FS9 dead, regardless of whether Pause on Task is ticked or not. The only difference is that when it is unticked, while FS still stops there is no red "Simulation Paused" in the lower left corner of main monitor! Paused with no visual notification! (Duhh- do we need to be told the sim is paused? I suppose yes, if one's frame rates are low enough!!)I assume the freeze is because a single CPU & Win XP can only process one appl. at a time. Wonder if multi core processors can do multi thread processing yet? Or is the OS the bottleneck? Or both?Alex Reid

Jeff- Clicking on FS Build (the secondary applic.) stops FS9 dead, regardless of whether Pause on Task is ticked or not. The only difference is that when it is unticked, while FS still stops there is no red "Simulation Paused" in the lower left corner of main monitor! Paused with no visual notification! (Duhh- do we need to be told the sim is paused? I suppose yes, if one's frame rates are low enough!!)I assume the freeze is because a single CPU & Win XP can only process one appl. at a time. Wonder if multi core processors can do multi thread processing yet? Or is the OS the bottleneck? Or both?Alex Reid
A further discovery- while FS pauses when another app is started, when that app is stopped/ended, FS resumes automatically if Pause on Task is unticked.Alex Reid