Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

dll exe troubles

I have a problem that keeps happening that is driving me crazy!1st-a new computer with Windows 7-I have spent the last 4 days reinstalling my 100 or so add ins.When I try to install some-they eat my entire dll , exe file. One example is the Cloud nine bergen scenery-it seems their add in manager causes a problem. But after doing so-I am suddenly missing programs from the add in folder in fsx-I go to look at the dll file and everything is wiped out.So just a caution to anyone reinstalling stuff that this may happen...<edit> I think I found part of the problem and answer..Win 7 64 has two folders-one "program files" and one "program files (x86).It seems the programs install by default to "program files (x86)" but the calls in the .dll are to "program files" where they don't exist.Manually editing the .dll file to point to the right places fixes this. My goflight software didn't make an entry-I am manually also doing that.So keep in mind if installing addins if they don't appear to look and manually edit the dll/exe files.

Guest firehawk44
I have a problem that keeps happening that is driving me crazy!1st-a new computer with Windows 7-I have spent the last 4 days reinstalling my 100 or so add ins.When I try to install some-they eat my entire dll , exe file. One example is the Cloud nine bergen scenery-it seems their add in manager causes a problem. But after doing so-I am suddenly missing programs from the add in folder in fsx-I go to look at the dll file and everything is wiped out.So just a caution to anyone reinstalling stuff that this may happen...<edit> I think I found part of the problem and answer..Win 7 64 has two folders-one "program files" and one "program files (x86).It seems the programs install by default to "program files (x86)" but the calls in the .dll are to "program files" where they don't exist.Manually editing the .dll file to point to the right places fixes this. My goflight software didn't make an entry-I am manually also doing that.So keep in mind if installing addins if they don't appear to look and manually edit the dll/exe files.
Good advice! Sorry to hear you're have some issues with the dll.xml and exe.xml files upon reinstalling some FSX addons. Like you I recently upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit and started the process of reinstalling FSX/Acceleration and all its addon's. I did a clean install. I haven't completed the process yet but I'm getting there slowly. So far I have not encountered the problem(s) you describe with your dll.xml and exe.xml files. I only know of one addon that for sure will corrupt your dll.xml and that's with the early FSX version of CS 737. PMDG spoke of this corruption in their forums and believe they still have a FAQ on their support website on how to fix this problem. CS has subsequently fixed their installers to correct this issue. I had to edit and repair my dll.xml several times and it was very frustrating. This was with Vista 32 bit but would assume it would happen with Windows 7 too. As far as the addon programs calling to program files vs program files (x86) I have not seen this yet and haven't seen anyone else who has upgraded to Windows 7 having this issue either. It indicates to me that something might be amiss with your system registry. But how that happened is definitely strange. Whenever I have a problem with FSX, my first investigative action is to look at the dll.xml file and make sure it has not been corrupted. You might need to do a repair of your FSX/Acceleration/SP2 (as applicable) to make sure the registry has the correct information. This will fix your dll.xml and exe.xml but you'll have to reinstall those addons you had issues with. I would also run one of the free registry fixers and one that repairs links.Best regards,Jim