Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonthedoors

First Successful simulation...

Guest jonthedoors

My first successful flight was in FS2002. I took on one of the flights that came bundled with the game, and flew from Pearce Ferry Airport (L25) to Grand Canyon National Park Airport (KGCN) in the default C182. I remember giving the FSATC a shot for the first time upon approach, and thought I'd try a landing while I was at it. I failed numerous times attempting landings before, but this time was different. I don't quite remember my approach, but I do remember being very high passing the airport!On short final, I don't think I had flaps more than 10, if at all (we've all been there!), and made quite a smooth landing. I practiced my touchdown technique with water landings where I didn't have a runway to aim for.I was very proud of myself! I remember yelling "YEEEESSSSSSSS!" After that I taxied back to parking for the first time. I felt very satisfied indeed. That was back in early 2007 if I recall correctly, haha. First landing of hundreds, possibly thousands!!!What's your first successful simulated flight?

Guest zacharace

I remember the first time I landed "correctly" (also in 2007): Landed a Northwest Airlink CRJ 200 in Boston, but couldn't stop for some reason. I ran off the runway, then realized I had forgot to turn autopilot (holding Vref) off......Such a noob back then. :(

First successful sim flight and Landing was around sometime back in 1995/96 with Su-27 Flanker by SSI (after a lot of crashes) - it wasn't easy to pull off, after that I enjoyed successful landings in A-10 Cuba and then moved on to numerous other Flight simulation titles - there were a lot of those towards the end of the 90s and beginning of this decade.I think my most enjoyable FS landing was when I landed the Project Tupolev Tu-154B2 entirely manually for the first time at Sofia Airport (LBSF) sometime during 2005 in FS9 - it was very challenging and rewarding to pull off. I still get a thrill when landing any plane. Out of the medium-to-large jet Airliners I have gathered on my PC, I find flying and landing these (in FS9) the most satisfying and challenging:-Project Tupolev Tu-154M-Project Tupolev Tu-154B2-Level D Boeing 767-300-RFP Boeing 747-200Each one has unique handling characteristics on approach.....It would be interesting to know what the simmers here feel is the best simmed plane they have flown in - the one(s) they enjoyed flying and landing the most.

Guest jonthedoors
I had forgot to turn autopilot (holding Vref) off......Such a noob back then. :(
Classic noob mistake! I've fallen for it myself!!!
I enjoyed successful landings in A-10 Cuba......I find flying and landing these (in FS9) the most satisfying and challenging:-Project Tupolev Tu-154M-Project Tupolev Tu-154B2-Level D Boeing 767-300-RFP Boeing 747-200Each one has unique handling characteristics on approach.....It would be interesting to know what the simmers here feel is the best simmed plane they have flown in - the one(s) they enjoyed flying and landing the most.
A10 Cuba. An absolute classic! Was my first sim back in 1997! I remember blowing to piece numerous times trying to land! Although going on A10 now, I find it's quite forgiving, it wasn't too forgiving to a 7 year-old slamming the aircraft into the ground.Also - the RFP 742 is most certainly tricky, but satisfying to land! I've stalled numerous times on short final, not taking into account the immense weight of the aircraft!

My first successful sim flight for me was 1998 with FS 98, however my biggest success was 2008 where I was in a multiplayer flight in Falcon 4.0 Allied Force with a friend, and I took a SAM hit which knocked out my flight controls. I went into a rolling spin and lost most of my flight controls. Somehow I managed to regain control by trimming out my aircraft, and I managed to land it back at the starting base, rather than just ejecting on the spot like most people would do. My buddy was shocked at the fact that I pulled that off. I just didn't want to lose a aircraft in the campaign, and I wanted to try something bold and crazy. In the end, well worth it, made one heck of a interesting thing to do as well. I wish I still had the ACMI file.And for anyone wondering, it was at full realism, and it took me a good 30-50 minutes to RTB.Just for the record, I prefer combat simulation to Civ flight simulation any day of the week. I would much rather fly a combat mission than just a long haul, as even though it isn't as long, it's much more tiring to be trying to dodge missiles and AAA fire and dogfight rather than just flying with the FMS on all the time.

Guest jonthedoors
I went into a rolling spin and lost most of my flight controls. Somehow I managed to regain control by trimming out my aircraft, and I managed to land it back at the starting base, rather than just ejecting on the spot like most people would do.
That's quite remarkable indeed! I heard that an F16 (i think it was) landed with only one wing IRL... it's strange how it's actually possible!!!

That's quite remarkable indeed! I heard that an F16 (i think it was) landed with only one wing IRL... it's strange how it's actually possible!!!
Final flight on a commodore vic 20 in 1981. Basically there was a line floating on the screen that was supposed to be a runway and if you got near it it said either "you landed!" or "you crashed".

I guess mine was about 1986 with FS4 when I managed to take off in the Cessna 172, toodle around Chicago and land again without killing myself. I was hooked from that day on. :(

Lose not thine airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee.

I guess 1986 would be my time as well. I flew the Learjet 35 from Miegs Field to Champagne Urbana in central Illinois. The world was so limited back then and we flew in areas versus the choice of anywhere in the world like we can now. If I remember correctly all we had for detailed areas were Chicago, New York, San Francisco, and the LA... I forgot was the choices were for Europe outside of Paris...I also remember the many Red Baron flights I had in FS back when the WWI mod was included in FS. You had crop dusting missions as well as flying threw rings in the sky. I believe there was combat as well.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest zacharace
My first successful sim landing was in 1984 on a BBC Micro with 28k memory!Vololiberista
As in the broadcasting company? Whoa...

Guest BionicCrab

F19 by micropose, every sunday all day... never was good at FS back then, but then again I use to just fly through the aerial towers on the Sears building. I suppose that's not a very cool thing to do these days.