Sign in to follow this  
DaveBedford

Transferring FMC

Hi Guys,Just wondered if anyone could give me a pointer on how to transfer an FMC to a different aircraft. Say for example I wanted to use the PSS Dash or Flight1 ATR flight computer in an HJG DC-8. Is this possible, and if so does anyone have a link that shows how you'd go about it?Thanks,Dave

I'd say this is a pretty certain no-go. The FMSs used in these add-ons are usually bound to the other parts of their respective panel in quite a complex way, so there will be no chance to simply take out the CDU and place it into another aircraft. Probably only with deep insight and a lot of work. I doubt it will work though.If you want some advanced navigation in a DC-8 you might try the (free?) Delco Carousel I-VA INS gauges. A google search should bring them up. I don't know the DC-8 very well, but I figured an INS would fit it much more than a full blown FMS anyways.Good luck!Etienne

Badderjet, thanks very much for that. Kind of confirms what I feared though, that it would be far from easy. I have tried and use the Civa INS from time to time. While I think it's a great piece of kit it's a bit laborious. In situations like busy events I wish I had the luxury of an FMC so I could just punch in a SID and carry on with my cigar and brandy rather than sweating over an INS.Interesting link torkermax. Seems a bit of a bummer paying for gagues that I already have on my machine. Perhaps the VASFMC would be a good alternative to these?Dave

While I think it's a great piece of kit it's a bit laborious.
True, but remember if you had a realistic FMS simulation it would also need the time to align which easily eats up a couple minutes, plus all the performance data which an INS doesn't even care about. Ok, the alignment process and initialization is easier in the FMS, agreed. :(
so I could just punch in a SID and carry on with my cigar and brandy rather than sweating over an INS.
LOL - love that one :( - but I hear ya.Anyways, what about the HJG DC-8? Is it any good? Does it have a panel? As I kinda mentioned above (I believe), I don't quite know the DC-8 model at all but I immediately headed over to a.net to see how the cockpit looks like and I must confess I simply love it. Looking at the photographs I did notice there are quite a few planes that apparently have been retrofitted with EFIS, some even with FMS, which I found interesting. So it would not even be 100% unrealistic to do the same in FS, but I still feel it doesn't quite do justice to the good ole historic jetliner era feeling. :( Kind regardsEtienne

True, but remember if you had a realistic FMS simulation it would also need the time to align which easily eats up a couple minutes, plus all the performance data which an INS doesn't even care about. Ok, the alignment process and initialization is easier in the FMS, agreed. :( LOL - love that one :( - but I hear ya.Anyways, what about the HJG DC-8? Is it any good? Does it have a panel? As I kinda mentioned above (I believe), I don't quite know the DC-8 model at all but I immediately headed over to a.net to see how the cockpit looks like and I must confess I simply love it. Looking at the photographs I did notice there are quite a few planes that apparently have been retrofitted with EFIS, some even with FMS, which I found interesting. So it would not even be 100% unrealistic to do the same in FS, but I still feel it doesn't quite do justice to the good ole historic jetliner era feeling. :( Kind regardsEtienne
Hello Etienne,Is that you? I hope that you remember me. If you do, then please reply or send me a message.Best regards,Tiberiu

Hi Etienne,Have a look at the HJG download page at:http://www.simviation.com/hjg/downloads.htmAs you can see there are several DC-8 variations to chose from and dozens of liveries, and also a selection of panels! They also have soundpacks for all their aircraft.I enjoy flying the DC-8, the panel is fairly straightforward to use, I believe some of them are configured to be used with the Civa INS. I can't really comment on the model as i've never flown a DC-8 but it has a great "feel". They come with a different GPS to the default, which I haven't personally learned to use yet. Just download it and check it out!I also recommend the other models there, the Convair 990 is worth trying out for it's cruise speed capabilities alone - 534 kts at FL220!I agree that there is nowt wrong with retrofitting our FS aircraft after all it's widespread in rw operations. Cheers,Dave

Yeah Dave I hear ya, thanks for the info! I'll make sure to dig into it and check it out. And a rough guess tells me that under ISA conditions 534 knots at FL220 equal ~M.877 which I consider to be pretty speedy, even for some of today's aircraft - just incredible!

Hello Etienne,Is that you? I hope that you remember me. If you do, then please reply or send me a message.Best regards,Tiberiu
Well - to find out, I'd suggest to check PM! :(