Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest jacques77

sudden engine failure

Hi Everyone,There was an earlier post, similar problem that got stale, and since this is new to me, I thought I'd start a new string. I have flown the RFP a lot in the past, on a XP machine and never had a problem. I reloaded the freeware to a new Vista machine, and now the program is very unstable. After loading with default cessna (all systems and engine off) I power up RFP. Sometimes when I go to the fuel panel and click on the hidden spot to change fuel to 25000 pounds, nothing happens, fuel remains full. So I Close FS, restart, default cessna, fuel panel, click spot, suddenly everything is okay and fuel can be loaded normally. That is issue number one. Next is the engine problem. Aircraft configured, all systems on and programmed, apu on, etc. Pushback and engine start. All is normal, all engines on and fuel panel reconfigured for taxi and takeoff. Suddenly all four engines die. Fuel cutoff switch on fuel panel is activated. Push back in. Go to throttle. Cutoff switches in 'run' position, pull down to 'cutoff'. Cutoff switch on fuel panel is reactivated, push in to deactivate, go to throttle, fuel cutoff switch in 'run' position again. So you see, it is a circle with no end and no answer. From this point FS must be shutdown and restarted. That is issue number two. Next issue, everything goes great, engines started and stable, takeoff, everything great. Climbing to altitude, no issues. Suddenly, all four engines shutdown. Switches on overhead are already on flt start. RFP attempts to restart, fuel cutoff on fuel panel activates by itself again and the endless circle starts with no hope of recovery, and hours of work are wasted. Fs is run in vista with all administrative rights, activesky6.5 is also runnning, also with admin rights, straight RFP model, no merge, no modification except for CIVA INS. I have had two flights recently that went okay, but only after hours of dealing with the above issues. I am using a texture from another site, but others have used it with no problem. Only the primary radio switch is activated since I understand activating both will trigger engine failures. I can't think of anything else to say except that all procedures are followed by the book, I have hundreds of hours of successful trouble free flights in RFP. I love the aircraft and don't want to let it go, but...geez, I can only take so much. Any ideas?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Sorry you are having a problem. I am not aware specifically of Vista issues, but I wouldn't be surprised if that were not at least part of the problem. One thing that does occur to me is to suggest that you make certain that you are using the most current version of FSUPIC as RFP is very much FSUIPC dependent. I also have to assume that you are using an FS9 platform rather than FSX: the freeware version of RFP is not FSX compliant and just doesn't work properly in that scenario. I do not know if Active Sky can create some issues for RFP, perhaps someone who is familiar with that combination can comment on that.No other suggestions at this point.

Hi, Yes, I'm using FS9 platform, and do have the latest FSUIPC from Peter's site. RFP is kind of unique, isn't it, in that each file is in essence a standalone plane, the only common files referred to are for CIVA and for the panel. Is it possible that the cfg. file could be corrupted, somehow? I appreciate your input Greeneg. I'll keep working on it from this end. I know there has to be an answer since it was such a wonderful plane to fly in the past. In the meantime, any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, Jacques

Hi, So, today I deactivated User Account Control, went into Fs file directory, deleted all VMAX files, reinstalled them by unzipping directly to Aircraft directory, including the textures I was using when I experienced the problems, the turned UAC back on and rebooted. I did a short flight, about 1 hour, around the patch and everything was beautiful. No problems of any kind. Hopefully that was the issue, perhaps the texture I installed was done so with UAC turned on which may have caused some problems with reading of the cfg file. i don't think, at this point, that Active Sky had anything to do with the problem. Hope this helps someone else!Jacques