Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

PMDG MD-11: is it for me?

I have been going through the major threads that discuss the MD-11, and I'm still puzzled. I'd like a straight forward answer to this one, please. What I would like to know, is if the MD-11 is a plane I could enjoy, given the following facts:- I like heavies, but I don't have the time to complete long flights in one go. I need a way to save panel states.- My computer is not the best around. I can do the PMDG 747 at default seattle with 15FPS. Is the MD-11 more or less FPS intensive?- I have flown mostly Boeing aircraft, as I like them best. However, recently I have also started with the J41 and found this a very easy plane to get the hang of, with the added bonus that the ERJ-145 now also makes more sense to me since a lot of warnings I hear and messages I get seem to overlap between ERJ-145 and J41. How is the learning curve with the MD-11? Will it be completely alien to me, or will I know what is going on and will I at least understand *something* of the systems?- How is this plane in general, when compared to the PMDG747? I'm not looking for a personal opinion here, just objectively: system simulation, graphics, is there a big gap or can I expect the same?- I am talking about the FSX version. I will probably not also get the FS2004 version. That will make it far too expensive for me!Anybody care to answer these questions for me? I have been eyeing this plane for quite a while, always with a mixed feeling. I'd like to know now if this is a plane I can enjoy, because every time I see one of those flying over our house, I feel awed. Seems like a mighty plane to be sitting in!

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Guest abulaafia

I will try to answer your questions, but my post will be deleted soon because I refuse to follow the - from a security perspective dangerous - requirement to post my name :( so you have to read quickly- I like heavies, but I don't have the time to complete long flights in one go. I need a way to save panel states.1.5 to 3 h flights are very realistic with the MD-11. Panel state saving works automatically when saving flights. I haven't seen major problems, other than a jolt when you reload in different weather ;)- My computer is not the best around. I can do the PMDG 747 at default seattle with 15FPS. Is the MD-11 more or less FPS intensive?MD11 has better frames than the 747- I have flown mostly Boeing aircraft, as I like them best. ----Its really amazingly automated. Once you know the systems, its more like an expensive screensaver until the obligatory manual landing. Systems aren't that different from Boing. - How is this plane in general, when compared to the PMDG747? I'm not looking for a personal opinion here, just objectively: system simulation, graphics, is there a big gap or can I expect the same?Same, very good quality, down to last detail. It is great fun, and very immersive.

Guest United

I don't think trying to fly from a saved panel state will work with the PMDG MD11, it's too complex, but maybe I'm wrong. If you're used to flying and using Boeing cockpits or even Airbus, forget it! The MD11 set-up takes a while and is not intuitive either in set-up or use compared to either Boeing or Airbus cockpits. Otherthan that, I have found the PMDG MD11 frame rate and performance to be on par if not a bit better than the PMDG 747X.Randy Jura, KPDX

Actually, many high quality aircraft including MD-11 can save panel state properly and load it later. In MD-11 all data is saved, including FMC state.

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations

I'm still rather undecided on the matter. I think I will probably enjoy flying it in KLM livery to places like St. Maarten or Surinam, but on the other hand, it's very expensive... I'll sit around and see. In the end I'll just buy it, but not yet, now not. Thanks for all that gave their opinion. I know enough for now.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I think the MD-11 is easier than the Boeings for a myriad of reasons. So much less to worry about messing with during each phase of flight that it takes the fact you don't have a copilot to help you and turns that into a positive. The Boeing isn't that much more of a workload, but just the fact you have to keep the heading bug adjusted to match the AP is a PITA. The MD-11 doesn't require you touch the heading dial on AP, so when you disconnect on final it's where it should be. The overhead really doesn't need to be touched once you start your taxi until landing unless you need anit-ice (landing lights, strobes, wing, taxi, and other lighting exlcuded). In automatic mode, the overhead takes care of it's self and barring any emergencies or a fuel dump, you won't mess with the overhead at all.The A/T (ATS on the MD) is different, but nicer in some ways. Press Autoflight on the ground and A/T is armed. No dialing in V2+10 nonsense, just your initial climb speed below 10,000 (250 or greater). No TOGA to press, just advance the throttle and A/T kicks in when reaching a certain limit (~70% N1). Press Autoflight again to engage the AP and you're on your way. I personally think the way the AP does things is much easier and user friendly. Now, some Boeing pilots may not like how certain aspects of the AP are handled via the FCP (MD-11 term for MCP), but I don't see how it's an issue. You can override speed, NAV modes, and even operate more basic mode similar to a Boeing. It just works slightly differently.The FMS (FMC) autotunes the ILS like the Boeing 744 once you select your App, so that is a bonus. I guess overall, the MD-11 is more automated, but it makes handling and flying it more fun since these planes really need a copilot and you don't have one. If you're confronted with a difficult approach or just need to focus on flying, the MD-11 handles so much more for you that you won't have your eyes buried in the pit clicking switches and keeping up with ATC.Yes, the FMS is different, but I personally find it just as easy if not easier than the Boeing. Once you learn it, you'll like it too, I'm sure. I didn't think the learning curve was that much at all. I just read the tutorial that comes with it and was able to complete normal flights from then on, then slowly go through the manuals and other documents from places from Smartcockpit.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

I don't think trying to fly from a saved panel state will work with the PMDG MD11, it's too complex, but maybe I'm wrong. If you're used to flying and using Boeing cockpits or even Airbus, forget it! The MD11 set-up takes a while and is not intuitive either in set-up or use compared to either Boeing or Airbus cockpits. Otherthan that, I have found the PMDG MD11 frame rate and performance to be on par if not a bit better than the PMDG 747X.Randy Jura, KPDX
Completely false, it works just fine loading saved flights and panel states.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks Orlaam! That was an interesting post. It's good to hear it won't be too much of a problem to learn that plane. I might get it around Christman probably, hoping to see some discounts ;-)

Benjamin van Soldt

By the way, maybe an interesting question: how does the MD-11 compare to the MD-80? I have the Maddog 2008, and I've been wondering how these two overlap in system implementation. Specifically, how do the systems on these planes resemble each other beside the fact that the MD-11 is much more modern? Also, are the systems sort of on the same spot and do they look the same, so transitioning from one cockpti to another isn't too difficult?To be frank, I have hardly touched the Maddog 2008 yet. Still have to learn that one, but I'd still be interested in knowing how it compares to the MD-11 in real life.

Benjamin van Soldt

Specifically, how do the systems on these planes resemble each other beside the fact that the MD-11 is much more modern? Also, are the systems sort of on the same spot and do they look the same, so transitioning from one cockpti to another isn't too difficult?
Completely different airplanes and systems. No cockpit commonality at all.The MD-95 / Boeing 717 has systems similar to those of the MD-11.