Sign in to follow this  
JayDub

Recent FS 2002 lockups / freezes

I would appreciate any help regarding the potential cause of FS 2002 freezes / lockups I am now frequently experiencing. My system specs are:Win MEAMD 1.2 GHZ T-Bird256MB DDR ramGeForce 2 GTS 64 MB videocardViewsonic MB 90 19" monitor40 GB HD with over 20 GB remaining - full FS installThe freeze / lockups all occur in the exact same manner...the current FS screen freezes and a high pitched whine emanates from the speaker system. No error messages, etc. The only remedy is to power off the computer. I have been enjoying FS 2002 for approx 1 1/2 years and have my tweaks / settings where I enjoy the sim....have made no adjustments in quite a while. Additionally, no recent "system" changes except replacing a mouse...the new mouse seems to work perfectly in all applications.I realize that troubleshooting lockups is like finding a needle in a haystack, but on the chance someone else has experienced this same type of FS freeze / lockup.....I would certainly appreciate your advice.Jeff

Jeff, Can't offer a solution, but I "share your pain", you are not alone. I am having the exact same freeze problem you discribe including the high pitched whine from the speakers. This started about 6 weeks ago. Purchased and loaded FS2002 the first week it was out and simulation has run smoothly until this problem developed. I have tried everything including total reinstall of FS2002 and a total reformat of the hard drive and reinstall of Windows XP Home Edition. Have used every version of MSFS since the days of the old 8088 processor, the 286 computer was a real "Speed Demon" in those days. this problem really has me puzzled. Sure hope someone can help us out. At least my response should "Bump" this back to the top..... I Wonder if our video cards have failed...Hope it doesn't carry over to FS2004.... JayDubAMD 2400+512 DDR 2400 RAMAsus GF3 Ti200.... 44.03 drivers (Have tried several others)Viewsonic 19 inch monitorWindows XP/Windows Me...dual boot system

Unplug your computers. Take the case cover off. Blow out the dust from your CPU and videocard heatsinks. Leave the cover off, and plug in the computer. Start it up and test FS. If it now runs fine, you have had a heat problem due to dust accumulation in your heat sinks, or on the motherboard.If the failure still occurs, the may be a hardware issue still unresolved ( such as using 8x AGP, instead of 4x, which can cause problems with DirectX games and 3d software ).Dick

Hi JayDub,I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing the same problem. I hope you are right that this problem does not carry over to FS 2004.Do you experience the lockup on every flight or is it intermittent? My freeze rate is about 8 of every 10 attempts. Cannot understand why some flights go without a hitch...but with an 80% freeze rate it renders the sim virtually unusable.The steps you have taken such as reformatting the HD, re-installing the OS, etc. is exactly what I was going to try absent someone being able to help with a specific remedy. I also think it is some kind of video card issue...hopefully someone can help us. BTW, I have always used the 12.41 drivers.Jeff

Hi Dick,Thank you very much for the advice. Will give it a try this afternoon, hopefully it is a simple fix such as this!Jeff

Hi Guys, Dick thanks for the suggestion will try that but have the problem on occasion just after the computer has been turned on. Yes, I'm one of those "turn if off when not in use people" have been doing if for 10 plus years with no problems. So may not be a heat problem. The freezes are intermittant, I might see one the first few minutes after boot up and start of FS2002, or like last night when I set up a long haul flignt and let it run over heavy addon mesh terrain CYVR to KSAN and it ran for over 2 hours without a hitch. If I'm very active in the program I can just about count on a freeze requiring a total reboot.....without the addon "Autosave" in use sim would be almost unusable. And I have removed "Autosave" to make sure thats not the problem........ JayDub

What kind of chipset does your motherboard have? Mine has VIA along with a 1.7 AMD CPU. Mine locks up too, but only occassoianlly has a noise (in my case a thumping)been heard and the regular sound is there. I believe there is an issue with respect to the the game video and AGP settings. A while back I saw a post and I thought it said that it may not be fixable because of the way Microsoft initally installs it operating system on boards with VIA. I have the latest VIA drivers and it still doesn't help. The weird thing is that this happens at 1024x786, but none of the lower settings. Finally I have Commanche, Blackhawk Down, Star War Racer, etc. and have NO problems with them, only FS2002. I wonder if your problem and mine are related? :+

Hi, I'm running an AMD 2400XP and a Gigabyte MOBO with the VIA KT400 chipset. Have been running this board since last October with great success and no noticable problems in FS2002 until the last 6 to 8 weeks. Just reloaded the VIA drivers off the MOBO CD when I reinstalled WinXP a few days ago. Using a 1600x1200/16 setting with otherwise great performance........ JayDub