Sign in to follow this  
gritz

JS4100 Flight into Courchevel

Not the smoothest, but everybody lived. I was demoted and had to pay for the soiled upholstery in the passenger compartment, but I won my bet anyway!

That's funny. You landed at Courchevel but after you left the runway I thought you were on your way to Meribel. LOLThis is one of my favorite locations in the world, second only to the Jungfrau in Switzerland, and I went every year for a week to Val Thorens for skiing the Three Valleys when I was stationed in Germany. Awsome.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan, Sharp eye. I take it the Meribel might be just over the ridge? :( This was pieced together from 3 different trips ... the first 2 being unsuccessful. On each succeeding trip to shorten the flying time I began from a different airport. So the aircraft positions might appear to come from an unexpected position for those who know the terrain. Most Americans wouldn't know (I think) and most Europeans might know the route and see some discrepancies. Since that video I've redone my Courchevel scenery so it's more realistic. And so far .... I'm ALWAYS low?? But practice may help ....

That take off was more than criminal... V1 at the end of the runway... rotated while going through the fence...Oops...And that landing... I couldn't even see the runway until you had flown through the trees... :(Isn't FS great? :(Nice video, and thanks for putting it up!Andrew

Andrew, You are correct on all points! :( :( :( . It was a fun project though .... but lame. Now that I've gotten a better representation of the actual airport in the form of more correct terrain it's become even more of a challenge! Still ..... the trees that appear in FSX don't seem to be there in the real approach. And takeoff even in an unloaded JS4100 is probably not even possible on a 1,700' runway, even downhill? I agree .... FSX IS fun! B)

I almost snagged a fence once in a C172 with a girl friend and her parents... they were big folks. I will never forget it either, which is one of the differences between real flight and simulation. A close call in real time is memorable.

Dan Downs KCRP

I almost snagged a fence once in a C172 with a girl friend and her parents... they were big folks. I will never forget it either, which is one of the differences between real flight and simulation. A close call in real time is memorable.
Doesn't even to be your close call to be memorable. I'll never forget the first time I heard an actual mayday. Freaked me out for a good week afterwards. (Call was for a loss of control in IMC; they recovered and everyone was fine, in case anyone's wondering.) I've cratered a PMDG heavy a time or two (but that's it), and other than being annoyed, I soon forget. Great video, btw.

I actually did clip a barbed wire fence in a PA28-235 once. My excuse though I was busy fighting a cockpit fire under the dash and needed to land ASAP. Fence was close to the runway threshold, took away too much power on approach and let the aircraft sink too much and we clipped it. Lucky I think it was with the bottom part of the spats and it did not do any damage at all.

I guess a near miss with a barbed wire fence is more common than I thought. In the 70s flying a 135 hp Tri-Pacer with a wife and 3 kids I made a south approach to land at Gold Beach, Oregon in very gusty winds. I was unsure if I could even put it down with full flaps, so I dumped the flaps thinking I had enough airspeed to flare before touchdown. We dropped like a rock and I came over the fence with only inches to spare. Not one of my smarter moves. :(

Seemed pretty laggy for your specs. i7 4Ghz with a GTX graphics card? Although it was a nice video.Taylor Oldham

Seemed pretty laggy for your specs. i7 4Ghz with a GTX graphics card? Although it was a nice video.Taylor Oldham
More likely the pilot is laggy ....... :(

I took off of an runway once in the middle of a Houston summer knowing about the power lines on the departure end of the runway and didn't think they would be a problem. 2,000' long runway should be enough, right?? Anyway, I seriously debated about pushing the nose over and trying to skirt in between the power lines and the ground...scary stuff!

Power Lines are NOT good! Landing at a private field near Prescott years ago, I did not know there were power lines ACROSS the runway about 1/4 mile down. (It was a one-way strip). Anyway .... the prop made contact with 3 power line cables and lifted them up to the cowling ... they then slid across the cowling and up the windshield where they yanked out the OAT along with about 6" chunk of windshield. Continuing they slid across the top and sliced off the rotating beacon in the tail ... along with about 6" of the fiberglass it was mounted in. The 180 shuddered but continued and I landed on a dirt road to inspect the damage .... 3 dents in the prop, big hole in the windshield and some of the tail missing. All looked well so we took off and landed in Prescott and had a mechanic check it out .... his comments "It just wasn't you time kid". I called back to the airport where the damage incurred and the owner apologized and said ...." The power company will not move the lines as they were here first". He also said the impact and cable whip followed up into the trees about a half mile away and pulled the transformer loose, and continuing, dislodged the service panel on the side of his house. It was indeed .... my lucky day!

Ok ...... after I cut some trees down at the end of the runway it's not so criminal. Still .... I've got to disengage reverse thrust a little sooner. But all in all .... you can walk away from it.