Sign in to follow this  
gritz

JS4100 Flight into Courchevel

Guest 777lover

What an awful movie.Greg Fibberger

Ok ...... after I cut some trees down at the end of the runway it's not so criminal. Still .... I've got to disengage reverse thrust a little sooner. But all in all .... you can walk away from it.

What an awful movie.Greg Fibberger
lolI'm sure it was the playback from the software that made things stutter..... that always happens

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Power Lines are NOT good! Landing at a private field near Prescott years ago, I did not know there were power lines ACROSS the runway about 1/4 mile down. (It was a one-way strip). Anyway .... the prop made contact with 3 power line cables and lifted them up to the cowling ... they then slid across the cowling and up the windshield where they yanked out the OAT along with about 6" chunk of windshield. Continuing they slid across the top and sliced off the rotating beacon in the tail ... along with about 6" of the fiberglass it was mounted in. The 180 shuddered but continued and I landed on a dirt road to inspect the damage .... 3 dents in the prop, big hole in the windshield and some of the tail missing. All looked well so we took off and landed in Prescott and had a mechanic check it out .... his comments "It just wasn't you time kid". I called back to the airport where the damage incurred and the owner apologized and said ...." The power company will not move the lines as they were here first". He also said the impact and cable whip followed up into the trees about a half mile away and pulled the transformer loose, and continuing, dislodged the service panel on the side of his house. It was indeed .... my lucky day!
NOTAMs are there for a reason...what did the NTSB have to say?

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

There was no opportunity to check out the NOTAMs at the time .... this was a pleasure flight taken at a moments notice. As far a filing .... I'm not sure what response my employer received back. It wasn't relayed back to me. But maybe that's the reason Readers Digest didn't accept my article? This incident was sometime in the early 70s when they didn't have computers, email, and forums and life was simpler. :(