Sign in to follow this  
JBM

Downloading Weather

Hello All,So my question is regarding the downloading weather option in FS9. In the weather setting, there is an option that reads:- Download winds aloft data with real world weather.My understanding of this is that it will download the upper winds with the weather. However, if I download with this option check, the weather is completly different then when its not check....Any ideas to why this is?

Perhaps it contacts a different server with different data. That said, people flying Multiplayer with a mixture of Real Weather, Active Sky, and other weather programs often see completely different weather conditions from each other, so it really isn't very accurate.Hope this helps,

wonder which one is more accurate? Have you tried with and without the setting?

When you say the weather is completely different. In what sense?The weather in the stratosphere IS different. You are encountering jet stream winds, icing etc. Don't expect the weather on the ground to extend to cruising altitude except in the tropic zone. Where storms can and do exceed 60,000 feet.Vololiberista

I think what he is saying is if he has it checked weather will be 18C and cloudy (for example). And if it is not checked weather is 15C and sunny.And to the OP. If your a stickler for realistic weather Active Sky is the only way to go.

I think what he is saying is if he has it checked weather will be 18C and cloudy (for example). And if it is not checked weather is 15C and sunny.And to the OP. If your a stickler for realistic weather Active Sky is the only way to go.
Ya, this is the problem I'm having!! Does anyone else?

I had the same problem - hadn't snow for two weeks at my local airport but everytime I went to fly from my local airport it was snowing. Set to D/L winds aloft and the weather was close to what it actually was - clear with a few clouds.

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.