Sign in to follow this  
cobra

Slowing down the 'Classic Propliners' DC-6

Guest PhilipManwaring

The new Gmax DC6b by Greg Pepper and Tom Gibson is a truly beautiful aircraft, but I'm having trouble slowing her down for descent and final. I've tried advancing the rpm levers all the way forward (blue lights come on) and bringing the throttle back as far as it will go without the warning beeps. Even so, she seems to keep accelerating and I have real trouble getting her down below about 200 kias. I can't extend gear or flaps to slow her down because the maximum extension speed is 170 kias. Can anybody help here with the correct technique for slowing these birds down during descent and approach?

I have the same problem. putting the plane in a slip (full rudder and opposite ailerons) slows her down, but I don't think this is the right way to descend all the way down.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

You guys might want to cruise over to www.calclassic.com and visit the forums section. Read the essay by FSAviator on flight modelling. This may give you some direction on how to fly these older birds. Key is understanding how to stay ahead of the lift and drag equations..and how to use both in advance to get the plane where you want it. Im still learning this...but flying these old planes is both awesome and difficult if the FDE is programmed right.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest PhilipManwaring

Thanks Eric - great information from FSAviator. I also notice that the .air file in the AA download I got is much older and a different file size to the one in the main UAL package. I've replaced it and will try this again tomorrow with the FSAviator recommended procedure and new FDE. Thanks again and keep the blue side up!Philip.

Hi all,The effect you are seeing is completely correct! I know a couple of DC-6 pilots and they joke about ATC asking them to descend a few thousand feet and also reducing speed. They have to respond "We can slow down or we can descend, but we can't do both!".The DC-6 series has no speed brakes (i.e. spoilers) and thus you have to level out to be able to slow down. What I do is scream down at 245 kts until about 25 NM from the airport, level out (or even climb a bit) to slow down below 174 kts, drop in the first notch of flap, and then continue my descent (staying below 170 kts). If I really need to drop, I also lower the landing gear.The pilots say they do all this and more to get the thing slowed down.BTW, the DC-7 series added a speed brake (the main landing gear can be lowered at high speeds to allow you to get slowed down for landing - you can't raise them at over 180 kts though, so you better want to get slowed down all the way).Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Hi: Tom Gibson is right on the money to slow things down. Heres how I do it, even in the Greg Peppers 580.If I'm to high and to close to the airport (which you shouldn't be),but you find yourself in that position, then I get off autopilot, pull the yoke back to raise the nose just a little above the horizon,and hold her there until the airsped bleeds down to about 160 Kts, then I run in some flaps and down go the gear, push over a little, trim to selected rate of descent and hand fly her in all the way. Thats of course if you can see where you are going. However on and ILS approach I would start way, way out to keep things within the envelope. The passengers might not like the sudden drop when you hit 160 kts after holding the nose up, so you might pass out some bags afterwards. But hey they got where they are going...and safely!!Happy FlyingDave N