Sign in to follow this  
Guest Turnbull2000

Water Reflections - CPU Killer?

Guest Turnbull2000

Ok, maybe that title is a little extreme, but the resources that this effect consumes on my system are very noticeable.Enabling water reflections seems to tax the CPU rather than the GPU, as the framerate no longer scales with changes in resolution. It remains consistent as the CPU is now the bottleneck. CPU dependent sliders (i.e. mesh density, A.I) also influence the effect of water reflections.I can have every slider maxed out except reflections and can maintain a constant 40fps (locked) in most terrains. Switch it on though, then this number will drop to 25fps or less. The impact worsens in denser areas such as Heathrow or LAX etc. Once again this points to reflections consuming CPU horsepower.BTW, reflections also cause stuttering at 1600x1200.Does all this make sense? I would have imagined that reflection effects would be handled by the GPU?Could someone please compare results in denser areas with and without reflections, particularly from the ground. Ensure all other sliders are maxed out so the system is already being pushed.Cheers.My system is as follows:P4 3.06GHz1.5GB RDRAMRadeon 9700 ProWD 200GB 7200RPM21" Sony TrinitronSBLive! 5.1

Guest Bigshot

I don't particularly care for the water reflections in FS2k2. Good thing too, because they do hit my framerates too. I'm running a 2.53gig with the 9700 Pro. Everything maxed except mesh at 90%, clouds at 80%, visibility at 90mi and res at 16x12x32. I know mesh is a function of the CPU just like AI is. I suspect either the code for the water reflections is hosed or it also is somehow related to the CPU. Water reflections also causes stutters on my rig at 16x12x32. I leave it off and just run with detail on. Hope they've fixed this in FS2k4 because those reflections look nice.

> Hope they've fixed>this in FS2k4 because those reflections look nice.2004 water is quite different. It changes texture with time of day. You can even get some great looking effects without a serious drop of fps at all. Or you can crank the setting to full and take an fps hit. I'm doing some Caribbean Island testing, where the frame rates are high, even though the Islands are much improved mesh now. As the sun set's, it cast's a reflection across the water, and the texture changes to a glassy, reflective surface. And the fps still stay up there. As an example, I'm using the R-22 chopper and getting fps ranging from 23-35 (limiter set at 35)in this area. Large detailed airports will take a significant drop in frame rates if I leave the detail as high as I do in the Caribbean.L.Adamsonedit....... just a Athlon 1900XP/Geforce3Ti500/512DDRramedit again ---- two examples, the one with higher cloud density pulls the fps to 19, which still isn't too bad.http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/21527.jpghttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/21528.jpg

You're not alone. On my 2.8ghz a Radeon 9500 Pro, reflections are the biggest single frame rate killer ... usually a 30-50% reduction in fps, which certainly isn't worth the eye candy.I'm hoping FS2004 does a better job of this.

I turn it off as well.The water out here in California doesn't really reflect much of anything. LMAO!

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

And due to budget cuts in california, haven't all water reflections been cut? :-hah :-lol Sorry, but it is 4am.

We have a budget in California???Oh wait...we did have one....Thanks Gray Davis! :-roll

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Guest jabberthecat

I have see some great video ( by Chris Willis I believe ) of the Reflection + Wave motion on the water surface ( not talking about shoreline waves ) - are those surface wave effect available only on the highest slider settings or are they independent of the reflection settings?Thanks,Myles

Guest Turnbull2000

Thanks Guys.I find the fact that other people are experiencing these problems kind of reassuring. At least I know it's not just my system.One more point about 2002. Does anyone else find that the shadows don't extend far enough into the terrain no matter how much you modify the FS2002.cfg file? During dusk and dawn, there is a clear light and dark boundary on the city terrain textures. My settings are as follows:TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=20.500000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=40.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4Going any higher seems to make no difference.Anyway, I've got high hopes for FS2004 - especially with a 21" Trinitron on its way! :()Cheers,Paul