Sign in to follow this  
FlyinMisfit

new sound pak for the PMDG744-X

hi All.to all that might be interested. i just ordered the PW soundpak from these guys for the PMDG744 for FSX. i like them better than the PMDG engine sounds. sorry PMDG. the GE & RR sounds are to follow according to the info. on their site. see link below...http://www.turbinesoundstudios.com/news.phpto view the YouTube video with the engine sounds click on the link below...http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=2357happy flyin, Tim Wheeler

Thank (insert favourite deity here) for noise cancelling headsets and ear muffs :( I think someone left the top hatch/smoke evac hole open during those cockpit takeoff videos But thanks for the experience :( Cheers.Q>

hi Q>the you tube video doesn't quite do the the sounds justice. in game, the engine sounds aren't as loud in the cockpit as in the video for some reason. perhaps some last minute changes were made after the video.i'm assumming that you noticed that the 747 in the video was not the PMDG747. don't know if that would have made any difference or not.btw, i'm using the X-Fi Titanium (PCIE) with Win7-64bit.happy flyin, Tim Wheeler

update to All,after a flight with the TSS 747PW soundpak and the PMDG744, i found the interior sounds to be (imho) too loud. and it appears that if you try to lower the volume for 1 sound file the volume is lowered for all the others as well. the interior & exterior sounds themselves (imho) are great. but the interior sounds being way too loud kills the whole soundpak for me.happy flyin, Tim Wheeler

I just reverted back to PMDG's sounds. I didn't find these as appealing as the video. I did like the fading in and out of the fly by which is what made me try it, but when in slew mode I find that there is VERY little volume when behind the engines as there should be. And of course that you get that fly by sound even when stationary at the airport hahaha. I may be wrong, but I could have sworn that the PMDG sounds were also authentic B747-400 sound samples? I also got the MD-11's and IMHO, the PMDG ones are a few steps higher quality and more well balanced. I did like the TSS Cessna sounds and still use those though :) Great part is, they're a free download on their site.Anywho, the only thing I never liked about the 744 sound pack was the wind and the Air systems (Packs) in cockpit. I made changes to these for my own use long ago, and after some minor alterations with Adobe, love them! The way the wind was, sounded as if I left a window open, now their perfect. I also just got the MD-11 and was glad to see (hear) that the wind sound adjustments that I made have almost the same exact ambient wind sound of the MD. :)If any of you want to know my settings and where to modify what sounds, here's the deal:These sounds are in C:\\FSX\Sound\PMDG\747400PMDG_Spoiler = increase +3 dbPMDG747_PACKS_SPLUP -3 dbPMDG747_PACKS_SPLDN -3 dbPMDG747_PACKS -3 dbPMDG747_AVFANS -3 dbPMDG747_AVFANS_SPLDN -3 dbPMDG747_AVFANS_SPLUP -3 dbPMDG_APDisconnect -3 dbPMDG747_MSTRCAUTION -3 dbPMDG747_MSTRWARN -3 dbPMDG747_MSTRWARN2 -3 dbPMDG747_CONFIGWARN -3 dbThese sounds are in C:\\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG747-400PMDG747_GEARDOWN +3 dbPMDG747_GEARUP +3 dbPMDG747_TCHDN +3 dbPMDG747_TCHDN2 +3 dbPMDG747_TCHDN3 +3 dbThese are the main ones that people have posted about that are loud in the cockpit.PMDG747_WIND -11 dbxPMDG747_WIND -11 db The packs and wind sounds I did for the obvious reasons mentioned above, the others had their own reasons and my own personal tastes,,, well then again, I guess these are all my own personal tastes :(

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

hi Dan,i too felt that the sound in front of and behind the engines was rather weak as well. the sounds of the engines from the sides in spot view were very good. my biggest gripe with the PMDG sounds is with the "exterior" thrust reverse sound and the overall sound from behind the plane. sounds like nothing more than the speed brake "armed" sound. not very realistic sounding at all to me. thanks for your input.happy flyin, Tim Wheeler

Hi Dan,1. I cannot find the way to alter the dbs for the PMDG sounds that you refer to. The attributes tab of the .wav files has no db field to alter.2. When trying to install the TSS soundpack for the PMDG 744, I cannot locate the Sound.RR file that it asks to be renamed to Sound.RRbak, before moving the TSS sounds into their place. Where is the file?Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Hi Dan,1. I cannot find the way to alter the dbs for the PMDG sounds that you refer to. The attributes tab of the .wav files has no db field to alter.2. When trying to install the TSS soundpack for the PMDG 744, I cannot locate the Sound.RR file that it asks to be renamed to Sound.RRbak, before moving the TSS sounds into their place. Where is the file?Cheers, Richard
Hi Richard, The way I adjusted mine was through using Adobe Soundbooth. There isn't a way to alter sound files via the attributes tab. Not sure on other programs that would do it unfortunately.I don't think we have the same TSS soundpack, since mine was for the PW sounds (sound.PW). But I imagine it would be the same. Their installer just puts the sound folder and files in a folder for you to then to cut and paste them manually into the "\\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG747-400" directory (or also 400F). Before doing so it is saying to rename which ever folder it is replacing. So in my case in the above directory, there is a folder "Sound.PW". Your looking for a folder, not a file. It's in the same place. Just rename your Sound.RR folder so it doesn't overwrite them. I wasn't aware that they even did a RR sound pak.Hope this helps.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Gents-I purchased these a few weeks ago based on the fly-by video as well.I had them installed for a brief period then reverted.I found that the engine start/shutdown sound process was handled very well- but that other areas destroyed the realistic ambiance of our product. After all- I've never heard hydraulic actuators powering the flaps from the flight deck of the 747... I suppose if I did hear that, I'd be very concerned. :-)I found the engine sound volume to be significantly out of limits also. Ours is a bit too loud even- and this sound package was significantly louder than ours... Either way- there are some aspects of this package that are quite nice- but the departure from simulation value and reality was a turnoff for me so I reverted.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Many thanks for your valued response, Randy.Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Hi Wanst there a sound add on for the B747 on the PMDG web site some time back ? i cant find them now and im hoping to buy the 747 after Xmas . Rich

ugcx_banner.png

Anywho, the only thing I never liked about the 744 sound pack was the wind and the Air systems (Packs) in cockpit. I made changes to these for my own use long ago, and after some minor alterations with Adobe, love them! The way the wind was, sounded as if I left a window open, now their perfect. I also just got the MD-11 and was glad to see (hear) that the wind sound adjustments that I made have almost the same exact ambient wind sound of the MD. :)If any of you want to know my settings and where to modify what sounds, here's the deal:
The high wind sound on the PMDG B747-400 is quite realistic, because it depicts the position of the cockpit in relation to the nose of the aircraft. This is because the 747 has wind pressing up over the nose over the cockpit windows, this creates a high wind noise on the 747, and it was debated intensely when the 747-400 was released some years back.The MD11 cockpit is not positioned in the same high position as the cockpit on the 747, hence the lower wind noise.Look at the ITVV cockpit videos for a comparitve analysis, the highspeed wind noise is quite recognizable when you watch Virgin 19 accelerate over the northern parts of the UK.Take careBoaz.

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

The high wind sound on the PMDG B747-400 is quite realistic, because it depicts the position of the cockpit in relation to the nose of the aircraft. This is because the 747 has wind pressing up over the nose over the cockpit windows, this creates a high wind noise on the 747, and it was debated intensely when the 747-400 was released some years back.The MD11 cockpit is not positioned in the same high position as the cockpit on the 747, hence the lower wind noise.Look at the ITVV cockpit videos for a comparitve analysis, the highspeed wind noise is quite recognizable when you watch Virgin 19 accelerate over the northern parts of the UK.Take careBoaz.
Thanks for the info Boaz,That's interesting about the debate about it when it was released. I thought I knew everything about the queen, but love to learn things like that! I've been in a 747-400 cockpit when returning to Germany after Ranger training (woot got to sit in clipper class with no extra charge too!) and was able to carry a conversation with no problem. Maybe I was just overwhelmed with everything I was seeing to notice. Plus it was actually a little eary because I wasn't as into the sims back then and remember the windows were jet black with nothing outside to see in the darkness, plus the dome light must have been on because it was pretty bright, brighter than I thought I cockpit would be. But I have videos that aren't even in production anymore on the 747 and all are in very aged vhs tapes and just can't see the comparison. When they are asked questions you can hear them speak without yelling, in the sim it's deafening. I watched several of them after getting the queen which is why I decided to lower my wav's decibals the way I did. I'm also not one that likes to see audio dubs on youtube vidz, so do mine as is. I have actually got emails from people saying my video was great but I should have put it to music rather than the loud screaching. Playing in the sim and watching it though are two different things since you don't tune it out and your not involved with whats going on. Have a look
. The sounds there are not edited and are defaults. Either way though, more options on lowering the wind noise would have been a nice touch. I like real, but it can blow the whole experience when it's as loud as it is. Perhaps an option to dawn on a headset? Or to simulate it, therefore lowering the wind noise and allowing one to hear atc better. Either way, I love the queen and as I mention above, prefer pmdg's sounds, I think they're all perfectly balanced with the exception of the wind files and maybe the Air system sounds. They seem a bit exagerated, but I'm sure a lot of sounds are for the reason to show the user they exist and are present. It's my favorite aircraft make/model and always will be, and I guess I just loves my sounds better a tad lower ;)Thanks again,

Dan Prunier

Thanks for the info Boaz,That's interesting about the debate about it when it was released. I thought I knew everything about the queen, but love to learn things like that! I've been in a 747-400 cockpit when returning to Germany after Ranger training (woot got to sit in clipper class with no extra charge too!) and was able to carry a conversation with no problem. Maybe I was just overwhelmed with everything I was seeing to notice. Plus it was actually a little eary because I wasn't as into the sims back then and remember the windows were jet black with nothing outside to see in the darkness, plus the dome light must have been on because it was pretty bright, brighter than I thought I cockpit would be. But I have videos that aren't even in production anymore on the 747 and all are in very aged vhs tapes and just can't see the comparison. When they are asked questions you can hear them speak without yelling, in the sim it's deafening. I watched several of them after getting the queen which is why I decided to lower my wav's decibals the way I did. I'm also not one that likes to see audio dubs on youtube vidz, so do mine as is. I have actually got emails from people saying my video was great but I should have put it to music rather than the loud screaching. Playing in the sim and watching it though are two different things since you don't tune it out and your not involved with whats going on. Have a look
. The sounds there are not edited and are defaults. Either way though, more options on lowering the wind noise would have been a nice touch. I like real, but it can blow the whole experience when it's as loud as it is. Perhaps an option to dawn on a headset? Or to simulate it, therefore lowering the wind noise and allowing one to hear atc better. Either way, I love the queen and as I mention above, prefer pmdg's sounds, I think they're all perfectly balanced with the exception of the wind files and maybe the Air system sounds. They seem a bit exagerated, but I'm sure a lot of sounds are for the reason to show the user they exist and are present. It's my favorite aircraft make/model and always will be, and I guess I just loves my sounds better a tad lower ;)Thanks again,
It comes across pretty clearly that you are bothered by the wind noise, but how can you compare it? To what do you want to compare it with? You can still play the sim and talk at the same time right? If not, then your volume is set way too high.Use the audio settings that PMDG suggest in their 747-400 manual and then see if you still cannot hear ATC. Or check to see what level ATC is set at in the flightsim menu.To me at least, the sounds are accurate.Yours trulyBoaz.

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

It comes across pretty clearly that you are bothered by the wind noise, but how can you compare it? To what do you want to compare it with? You can still play the sim and talk at the same time right? If not, then your volume is set way too high.Use the audio settings that PMDG suggest in their 747-400 manual and then see if you still cannot hear ATC. Or check to see what level ATC is set at in the flightsim menu.To me at least, the sounds are accurate.Yours trulyBoaz.
yeah, thanks for the advice. If it is accurately modeled, hurray. How can I compare it? Read above and if that isn't worthy, than just leave it as a lot of things were not modeled in the 747 queen, IMO the winds loudness should have been one of them. Bottom line, you like it, great. I like my sound modifications, sorry if that bothers you so much. Search the forum a bit, do you think it is just me that thinks the wind volume is way to loud? And I did try the suggested settings, once again I am happy with mine. I never trashed PMDG for it, just stated a reply, you're making this a lot more sounding like I'm trying to bash the product.But hey, thanks for your opinion and the info in your first post.BTW, forum rules state you must sign your posts with real full name. Just to let you know.

Dan Prunier