Sign in to follow this  
TechguyMaxC

SSAA on Radeons - Now Working Properly with Catalyst 9.11

Looks like the LOD adjustment necessary to prevent texture quality degradation is now performed automatically by the driver with the latest Catalyst version. You can get them here.

I can confirm that Super Sampling has inproved for FSX in this Catalyst Version. The FPS is now also better than with previous driver.

Guest djt01
I can confirm that Super Sampling has inproved for FSX in this Catalyst Version. The FPS is now also better than with previous driver.
Same here, I

Guest djt01

After further testing with the Catalyst 9.11

Im also having the bad shimmering texture issue in FS9 which seems to be effecting some other games out there as well. Looks like this driver is a no go for me.Asus 5770.

From the reviews I've seen it looks like another driver dependent card just like the 4870x2 was
Every graphics card on the planet is "driver dependent".
and useless as far as CPU bound games like FSX are concerned.
This thread is about SSAA on HD Radeons. If you understand what SSAA is, you could use this knowledge to further realize that the 5970 is just the card for running games with high levels of AA, SSAA in particular.Hardly "useless".

Unfortunately for me SSAA is no go for me with my Asus EAH5870 since the FPS dips to a constant 4fps whenever I encounter clouds (and talking about FS9 now). I actually had better visual quality with my NVIDIA 8800GT (when using Nhancer) card than the 5870 but I am sure it will improve. COD MW2 looks brilliant though! :D

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Guest djt01
Every graphics card on the planet is "driver dependent".
What I was referring to is the fact that with the 5970 (just like the 4870x2 before) if the driver doesn

Guest djt01
So the 5970 doesn't have an option to disable one GPU (akin to conventional cross-fire setup)? I wonder why this feature doesn't get added? I've never read a review criticizing the 5970 (or the 4870x2) for lacking this feature, yet I'm constantly taking my 4890/4870 setup into and out of cross-fire mode dependent upon what particular game I want to use.
Supposedly disabling

What I was referring to is the fact that with the 5970 (just like the 4870x2 before) if the driver doesn't have a profile for a particular game then the performance in that game suffers and the performance is often worse than with a single GPU.
Executable renaming is the preferred method for forcing AFR. Basically just change the name of the game to one that matches a game which does have an AFR profile and it usually just plain works. Generally the engine utilized by the games needs to be the same though. Example: the game Borderlands is not supported in the standard Catalyst driver but can be renamed to "UT3.exe" and it just works. Also, the latest hotfix adds an AFR profile for it.
Not every graphics card on the planet is as "driver dependent" as multi-GPU video cards.
True.
Again it is "useless" if a particular game is not profiled in the driver.
Only if the user doesn't apply a manual override.

Guest djt01
Executable renaming is the preferred method for forcing AFR. Basically just change the name of the game to one that matches a game which does have an AFR profile and it usually just plain works.
Been there done that, I think it worked for one game that I had, it did nothing for the primarily CPU bound sims I run.

Been there done that, I think it worked for one game that I had, it did nothing for the primarily CPU bound sims I run.
CPU-bound applications do not gain performance from increases in GPU compute power, except at extreme graphical settings. First it was "X2 cards are 'driver dependent'" and now it's "the games I play don't rely on the GPU". You're on a totally different track now. Do you have a point?