Sign in to follow this  
PilotGW

PMDG 737 is it worth it?

KenYou`re the only person saying it needs to be perfect and trying to spin what we are trying to say.What I`m saying is that addon developers need to do better than they are doing now when they release.Does it need to be perfect?No it does not but the things that got by PMDG on this release is amazing.You can use any analogy that suits you Ken but in the end it` my 40 dollars that were spent and I expect a working product in exchange.So tell me whats so wrong with that?

>You can use any analogy that suits you Ken but in the end it`>my 40 dollars that were spent and I expect a working product>in exchange.Sheeze................ I spent $20,000.00 for an airplane engine, that can't be flown until it's taken apart, checked, and re-assembled. And it was new.It's an "imperfect" world isn't it?..............Ladamson

Ladamson"Sheeze................ I spent $20,000.00 for an airplane engine, that can't be flown until it's taken apart, checked, and re-assembled. And it was new."But you knew that you had to do that before you bought it did`nt you?I wonder how you would react if that engine was taken apart and found to have a bad piston that needed to be replaced.I bet you`d be ###### would`nt you?It`s a matter of principal and not of scale.

I have a BMW and have had a recall to remove various bugs. The most serious being an oil pump and piping which wasnt up to the job and meant my car engine had to be stripped and rebuilt by BMW.Taking the engine scenario then imagine fitting that engine not into one aircraft/car but a multitude all with different shaped cowls, cooling ducts etc and expecting it to perform the same in all.Even my version of windows XP is updated all the time with bug fixes and thats with all the clout of MS.The PMDG 737 is very complex and brand new. Like a new racing car there must be changes before its a race winner and im afraid the real test is in the race not in testing. Its a sad fact but the ultimate beta tester is Joe Public and that is equally relevant to cars as well as computer programmes.Peter

Guest Ken_Salter

I said "should", not "needs".Nothing "wrong" with what your expectations are, I don't have any control over that. Of course, I have my own opinions too.You decided to spend your $$$ on a product - if you feel it is not working ask for a refund.It also seems that there are plenty of users out there who are happy with the PMDG software. To them it is working just fine. Hmmm.

Hi, Ken:You are right, of course. It will probably not be perfect the first time, or even the second. Very few things in life are.However, there is a difference between having a few minor bugs and having software that is unuseable. From the threads in their forum, it appears that the frame rate problem makes their software essentially unuseable to more than one or two users.Again, the purpose of my post was not to take pot shots at PMDG. I have purchased and enjoyed their products over the years. I was raising the issue that I personally feel that software developers, in general, have lower standards of acceptability than most other industries. That is, admittedly, a generalization. But, I think that it is a valid one, and this was an example of that observation.I don't see any arrogance on the part of posters here or in the PMDG forum. In fact, restraint seems to be the order of the day. I feel that having reasonable expectations of the performance of payware of any kind is hardly arrogant. However, you demonstrate precisely the point that I was trying to make -- the idea that if an end user complains about a major bug or questions the quality, then that complainer is labeled arrogant, or ill informed, or a trouble maker. I have seen over the years, and if you are a developer, I am certain that you have as well, an arrogance in more than one software developer or programmer when this sort of problem arises.There are a number of industries, and not just those with life threatening scenarios, where sales would be halted if a major problem among a significant number of purchasers was discovered. Software publishers simply continue to sell the product with a promise of an update. This wouldn't necessarily be bad if all purchasers were aware of limitations, compatibility issues or bugs. But what other industry shifts the responsibility to the consumer to such an extent? Not many legitimate ones that I know of. Keep in mind, I am NOT talking about minor bugs.Anyway, I was simply trying to point out a personal observation of a widespread problem in the software industry, not start a flame war. Sorry if I have offended anyone.Wilson

Guest Ken_Salter

No offense taken (at least here.) Sorry if I "sounded" like that.Yes, some users are having problems. But some users are very happy!C'est la vie!I disagree that software developers have lower standards. If software developers ran the company, no software would ever get released. Developers will develop and develop until the cows come home.Anyway, I think that if users are not happy with the release of a software, then ask for a refund. We like to think we live in a free market (in the US at least), so let Adam Smith's Invisible Hand do the trick...

My read of the "discount" was that it was to be for customers who bought the FS2002 version early, then had to wait for the FS2004 update version. Given that this product was subsequently released FS2004 compatible, the basis for the discount was voided, hence the price should now be the non-discounted price. At least I hope it is, otherwise I join Gregger with his comment "Seriously?"Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest Boone

It is important to also remember that this is only Phase 1 of a 3 phase release. The price you have paid thus far is for the base package. In order to avail of all the bell's and whistles (and 3 more aircraft) you will need to purchase each phase, all be it at a discounted rate, as they are subsequently released. She's going to be rather pricey in the end.Personally I choose to wait. If money was no option however I'd definately purchase now. It looks gorgeous!Regards,Boone

Thanks for all of your replies guys!! :-) (I made a hot topic for the first time!!)I couldn't hold back any longer so I had no other choice but to purchase it. Boy did I make the right buy!! :-kewl IT IS GREAT. It is an absolute joy to fly!:-hah :-hah :-hah :-hah :-hah :-hah :-hah Cheers,Greg WillsThe gregster has landed! :-wave

Greg Wills

sfo_a320.png

EASA Commercial Pilot License | Multi Engine / Instrument Rating | Flight Instructor | ATPL Theoretical Knowledge Instructor

Is it possible to use the planes with another panel, and does it exept FS Navigator in any way?Best regards,

Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of paying $40 for the add-on in the first place?

Guest Rich

Save your money and get an Ariane if you just want the aircraft. No it doesn't work with FSNav. As a side note - I fully agree Iron Claw and Wilson with your comments above.Rich.

Don't be agressive, it was just a normal question, not a thread. control your self.best regards,