Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Buying X-Plane

I have been into flight sims since 1994 (Fs5, ATP), and followed the MSFS line right through FSX. My better half, who is an Apple computer owner and fan(atic) :) , is buying me a MacBook Pro, my first non-PC machine since the early 90's.I will be keeping my Q6600 PC, and I understand that running FS on a Mac requires a multi-boot / Boot Camp solution. So, I'm wondering about trying X-Plane (which I understand operates natively with the Mac OS).I'm sure that similar to FS, there are some key add-ons / changes to the sim that make a lot of difference and are the first to be applied when reinstalling. Is there a link to information that I could find that would give me that list of "essential add-ons/apps" that would let me experience X-Plane in a way that might let me decide whether to keep using it?Thanks- Bruce.

I have been into flight sims since 1994 (Fs5, ATP), and followed the MSFS line right through FSX. My better half, who is an Apple computer owner and fan(atic) :) , is buying me a MacBook Pro, my first non-PC machine since the early 90's.I will be keeping my Q6600 PC, and I understand that running FS on a Mac requires a multi-boot / Boot Camp solution. So, I'm wondering about trying X-Plane (which I understand operates natively with the Mac OS).I'm sure that similar to FS, there are some key add-ons / changes to the sim that make a lot of difference and are the first to be applied when reinstalling. Is there a link to information that I could find that would give me that list of "essential add-ons/apps" that would let me experience X-Plane in a way that might let me decide whether to keep using it?Thanks- Bruce.
The most essential one I have found is the fairly new reality xp 430 for it.The mu2 will give you the best look at the best aircraft available for xplane right now.I am waiting for some essential add ons...it needs them.

Bruce,Certainly try www.x-plane.org for freeware items and some payware stuff. x-plane is indeed lacking a lot of add-ons...but as an "insider" doing some work for laminar, I can tell you that there is lots of stuff in the works for V10. Laminar is working quite furiously to update a lot of their default aircraft to more desirable planes with VCs and 3D interaction. Also..without giving away other features for V10, I can tell you that some of the most desirable things people have expressed for x-plane are also being worked on for the next release. I think custom scenery development..airports and cities will be a bit down the line though...it is one thing I want myself.....perhaps in the back half of 2010 we'll see some developers make scenery with new features available. Also, keep www.x-pilot.com in your browser from time to time.....yes I'm associated with x-pilot.com as a commercial vendor and not x-plane.org, but there's some nice things being developed there that you might want to watch also.If you find that V9 is a bit sparse for your flying needs now..do check on V10 when it comes out.

Guest Callmecapt

OpenScenery X Installer also downloads about 500+MB of scenery enhancements. All for free.Just do a google for it and you'll find it.Goran

OpenScenery X Installer also downloads about 500+MB of scenery enhancements. All for free.Just do a google for it and you'll find it.Goran
Thanks eveyone, I'm bookmarking this thread as it has some great ideas. And I will certainly look for info on the next release.One question- is X-Plane compatible with TrackIR?Thanks, Bruce.

Hi Bruce,How are you doing? It has been quite some time since we corresponded. I finally completed Instrument and Commercial Single. Haven't been doing too much flying since but still working at Air Orlando Flight School - www.flyairorlando.com .Hope everything is well with you.Bill Sieffert

Thanks eveyone, I'm bookmarking this thread as it has some great ideas. And I will certainly look for info on the next release.One question- is X-Plane compatible with TrackIR?Thanks, Bruce.
Hi Bruce,yes, TrackIR works flawlessly in XPlane.Jan

Hi Bruce,How are you doing? It has been quite some time since we corresponded. I finally completed Instrument and Commercial Single. Haven't been doing too much flying since but still working at Air Orlando Flight School - www.flyairorlando.com .Hope everything is well with you.Bill Sieffert
Hi Bill,Good to hear from you, I haven't done much yet towards my commercial- maybe one day! Do you use X-Plane (I assume so since you are in this forum), if so, any comments for someone coming from FSX ( what to expect, what not to)?Thanks, Bruce,
Hi Bruce,yes, TrackIR works flawlessly in XPlane.Jan
Hi Jan,Thanks- this is promising!Bruce.

Hi Bruce,I started using X-Plane when I went to work for Air Orlando www.flyairorlando.com . Our simulator uses X-Plane version 7.61 modified by fidelity flight systems.I was hired to maintain the flight simulator.Bill

Hi Bruce,I started using X-Plane when I went to work for Air Orlando www.flyairorlando.com . Our simulator uses X-Plane version 7.61 modified by fidelity flight systems.I was hired to maintain the flight simulator.Bill
Hi Bill,Thanks- I'm looking forward to trying X-Plane, especially for some GA practice.Good to hear from you, Bruce.