Sign in to follow this  
gritz

Is THIS possible?

I know it's probably not possible in real life, it's not practical, and it's unrealistic, but I'm trying to land at Courchevel with the JS4100, which has a 18.5% grade 1,740' long (too short I know). But this is FSX so I don't care .... but maybe it can't be done, or maybe it can and I'm doing it wrong. My approach and touchdown are acceptable and I make contact near the threshold at about 125 knots and immediately apply Reverse Thrust, brakes and start lifting flaps. However the spoiler does not accuate and I get the voice announcement "Positive Rate of Climb" and I'm launched back into the air where the runway turns convex. Is there computer control over the spoilers when it hears "Positive Rate of Climb and refuse to activate them?

land at Courchevel with the JS4100...
Hey, easy for this long runway :( How about Lukla? Try that in bad weather...

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

I make contact near the threshold at about 125 knots
Isn't it tad too fast? You really want to fly with full flaps and at Vref and not a single knot faster for this approach (or perhaps even subtract from Vref but I am not sure if this is right procedure in this case). So yes, absolute precision is required. No chance for go-around on short final, you are committed for landing.

And just a thought - maybe if you go lighter and slower should to the job even without the spoilers. I know it's a mountain landing but still 125 knots is a bit quickish for me

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

Guest Jimmatc

Vref / 1.3 should about give you the stall speed for that weight. Try that +1 kt :(

Hey, easy for this long runway :( How about Lukla? Try that in bad weather...
Actually the 2 runway lengths are almost identical with Courchevel incline being about 6 degrees steeper. I can do Lukla easy with a Dash 7 but have not tried the JS4100 yet. :( Thanks to all you responders .... I did indeed need to do some homework.Since this is a practice I unloaded all the passengers bring the payload to 803 and GW to 18,000 lbs.This will give me a V1 and VR of 95 and a VYSE of 118 with full flaps. So I was about 10 knots fast and too far up the incline. So yes ... I was more than a tad bit fast. Precise is exactly correct ..... my first attempt with new data was better .... but still not surviveable .... so practice practice ..... :( I'm thinking you need to touchdown in the first 20 yards of runway!! B)

A true story, a damaged WWII B25 had to divert on its return to Italy to a small island off the coast of what was Yugoslavia. Short runway, mountain at other end, etc. Okay, the pilot was gifted and when we saw the wreckage of other airplanes embedded in the mountain he knew he had to be precise. Main gears touched down right at the threshold and both pilot and copilot stood on the brakes, skidding off the side of the runway and came to a safe stop in the mud. As the crew was being driven to the base ops shelter, they witness another B25 land and smash into the mountain, killing all aboard.The pilot's name was George McGovern.

Dan Downs KCRP

The pilot's name was George McGovern.
G. McGovern vs R. Nixon, 1972. Nixon won the election with a great difference over McGovern. Two years later he had to exit the White House using the back door. McGovern did not repeat as the Democrat candidate. J. Carter won the 1976 election.Going back to Courchevel, yesterday I tried the landing with the Real Air SF-260 (awesome plane btw), but those stupid trees that FS placed in front of the runway threshold obliged me to arrive extremely high and I wasn't able to stop within the runway limits. I don't believe those trees are there in the real world. :(

I don't believe those trees are there in the real world. :(
I've seen the photos and you're right, there are NO trees that close to the threshold on the approach end. If you want the free and more correctly modeled airport runway (which still seems short on the last section) install the following and in this order:1. http://www.vf-air.com/VF-AIR.zip (Put this in the Addon Scenery folder)2. http://www.vf-air.com/AltiportV2.zip (Put these 2 folders also in the Addon Scenery folder) You should now move under Settings in FSX and Scenery Library to the following order: Top - AltiportV2b Nxt - AltiportV2a Nxt - VF-AIR3. Download mesh from here http://c30s.alpes.gratisim.fr/ (Alpes LOD11 V2 (67) Put these 3 bgl files in FSX / Addon scenery / sceneryWhether this last step would be required on a high end system I don't know. I didn't change my texture settings since mine or better than the recommended settings.

We can't seriously be discussing the possibility of stopping a J41 on a runway only 1740 feet in length....can we? Of course, there is no harm in trying it in FSX, but surely this will be impossible if the plane is modelled very accurately?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The runway has quite an upslope, there's a uTube out there with a guy in a Baron landing there and the view out the windshield on final approach is scary.

Dan Downs KCRP

And another of a King Air .... approach and landing. Lot's of aircraft graveyard parts there too ....

We can't seriously be discussing the possibility of stopping a J41 on a runway only 1740 feet in length....can we?
King Airs land there routinely. Not only it is possible to stop because of the slope but you may even have to add power to taxi over the 'hump'.

Ah, I didn't realise that there was a significant upslope. I had assumed that it was a small strip on a level surface!EDIT: Having said that, aren't all FSX runways flat?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

EDIT: Having said that, aren't all FSX runways flat?
Unfortunately: yes... :(