Sign in to follow this  
Drumcode

Night textures with GTX260

Hi,Is this normal for this card to produce very pixely night textures in FSX? Everything is perfect during the day but at night, ground textures, clouds everything looks pixely. I am using the latest NVidia drivers.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Hi,Is this normal for this card to produce very pixely night textures in FSX? Everything is perfect during the day but at night, ground textures, clouds everything looks pixely. I am using the latest NVidia drivers.
I don't know what you mean by "pixely". But FSX or FS9 it is quite difficult to fine tune the display for night flying particularly because we use LCD's and the rendering is quite different from a CRT.Anyway to keep it short, for night flying you need to adjust 4 settings:3 settings are available from the display control panel:1. Brightness2. Contrast3. Gamma note. HUE is not critical, but "Digital vibrance" is, it should be set at minimum just before you get black and whitethe 4th setting is from your monitor/LCD: get the brightest picture you can get from the controls (as an example on my Samsung, I have a Preset "Game" that will give me that brighter picture.As a suggestion, you might want to add "hotkeys" from your nView properties (which need to be enabled; it isn't by default). Those keys would be assigned to increase/decrease Brightness, Contrast and Gama. I have mine set: Control Alt 456789Hope that helps,Pierre (night flyer)

Pierre

Digital vibrance is best set to off.This sounds like a low bit-depth setting, perhaps check the FSX resolution setting to make sure it's at 32 bits.

Also for your information the 191.07 drivers bring a new range to "Digital Vibrance".You can now reduce it to Full Black and White: No colour.Pierre

Pierre

Thanks guys, I'll look into it.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I have the same card and know EXACTLY what your talking about, I don't know how to explain it that well either. I think its more of a rendering issue, for example the transition into dusk is just awefull, instead of the the textures blending smoothly together its very hard and jaggy.

Is NVidia's Control Panel still active when NHancer is in use?

Jacek G.

Is NVidia's Control Panel still active when NHancer is in use?
Yes it is, but for FS it is practically useless. Useless in the sense that it does not apply AA & AF settings correctly (or any other 3D setting). And yet it is still useful for the macro keys of nView (which I use for night flying).Pierre

Pierre

I played with my settings turning down the gamma to 10% by default it was at 50% made a difference but then I went into NHANCER and turned off Gamma Correction in both my Global and FSX profile. WOW the texture blending is amazing!!!! All this time I just thought it was a problem with fsx.

I played with my settings turning down the gamma to 10% by default it was at 50% made a difference but then I went into NHANCER and turned off Gamma Correction in both my Global and FSX profile. WOW the texture blending is amazing!!!! All this time I just thought it was a problem with fsx.
Did you do it just now? Did it fix the issue we both were reporting?

Jacek G.

Did you do it just now? Did it fix the issue we both were reporting?
Ya I just did it, Im doing a flight right now, it looks way better then before in the V control panel my Adjust Desktop Colur settings are:Brightness 50Digital Vib 20Contrast 45Image sharpe noneGamma 10But the big kicker was turning off Gamma correction in Nhancer in both Global and fsx profiles

Great news!!! I'll be doing the same as soon as I get home! :)Thanks to everyone that contributed in this thread! :)

Jacek G.

FSX night textures have always look bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!