Sign in to follow this  
gritz

IAS Speed Bugs ?

I know that setting cyan speed bug (VR) will give you a "Call Out" to rotate, but is there more to it than that ... such as some interaction with the aircraft computers? And on Approach ..... should I move the VYSE (green - Approach and Touchdown) to the upper left hand corner prior to landing? I'm not getting the relevance to setting the speed bugs ... unless it's just for reference? I could not find a whole lot of explanation the the Operators Manuals. :(

Well, i think it is 'just' for reference, but quite an important reference. Imagine some problem during take-off or landing and you are very busy to keep the plane flying and you also have to remember four speeds... I think it's quite handy and saver to have them next to your speedtape!

Guest Jimmatc

Is it the meaning of the speeds you're after? This is a general outline:V1 = takeoff decision speed (e.g. if something breaks before this speed you'll have enough runway to abort the takeoff)Vr = rotate speed (time to go flying!)V2 = takeoff safety speed (if one of your engines quits on takeoff, this is your minimum safe speed)Vyse = best single-engine rate of climbIn this sim it is assumed the runways are non-limiting, e.g. V1 = VR because at rotate speed you still have enough runway to stop. Shorter runways could be limiting and require more calculations for V1.As for the landing:Target = the speed at which you should aim to fly your final approach to about 200'Vref = landing reference speed (from 200' you should slow to cross the fence at this speed)V2 = same again, if an engine quits maintain at least thisVyse = same again, on one engine this gives you the best rate of up

Thanks James, I'm doing a cut and paste now to add to my 3-ring binder........ I appreciate. A question I have though is why do we set each one individually? Is there any specific purpose besides just to use as a reference?Jim

True, the Vref is the key during normal ops but in a twin you are always expecting an engine failure and those speeds on the tape may save your hinny.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Jimmatc

Exactly, if one of your donks quits on you there ain't no time to start looking speeds up!