Sign in to follow this  
pkofman

different hard drives

I have a clean new install under windows 7I have fsx on my c: drive and the sdk installed on my d: drive , (Dont ask how that happened , its a long story)Does that make a difference and will it work. i.e will programs like mytraffic work with such a set up.That is currently my situation and im not sure if that will workPeter

It will work, Peter, but you would get much better performance if you uninstalled FSX from the C drive and put it on the D drive. I know it's a bit more work - especially if you've already added your addons, but it will be well worth the trouble. The SDK is fine wherever you put it, as any program that needs it usually asks you where it is.To Christiaan: - No - you don't have to install the SDK to use FSX. There are a goodly number of scenery editors, compilers, etc., and other tools available in the SDK which the devs and others use in modifying or creating their masterpieces. Many of the third-party tools also make use of those SDK tools, too.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

It's best to keep FSX in it's own drive - preferably a Velociraptor.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

It will work, Peter, but you would get much better performance if you uninstalled FSX from the C drive and put it on the D drive. I know it's a bit more work - especially if you've already added your addons, but it will be well worth the trouble. The SDK is fine wherever you put it, as any program that needs it usually asks you where it is.To Christiaan: - No - you don't have to install the SDK to use FSX. There are a goodly number of scenery editors, compilers, etc., and other tools available in the SDK which the devs and others use in modifying or creating their masterpieces. Many of the third-party tools also make use of those SDK tools, too.
I have a similar situation, c & d. I think i'll move everything to d drive also.Thanks for the recommendation.

The only thing I have had to have the SDk installed for was ADE and SBuilderX. Most regular addons that I am aware of don't call for it be installed as a prerequisite.For what it's worth, when I had my system set up for FSX, which included the OS, drivers, security and of course FSX, I had it done by a FS-GS. They recommend for various reasons that FSX should be installed on the same drive as the OS.For the original poster, you can do what ever you want, but I would and did take the advice of company that does FSX/FS9 setup for a living, and place it on ymy main drive with my OS.Just my .02.Good luck which ever way you go.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator