Sign in to follow this  
Hornit

Visibility layer

Recently reinstalled FS9 on my rig here. When I set restricted vis, say 20-30 miles, Im getting an issue I remember from before. If your sitting on the ground there is a clear area with obvioulsy unrestricted vis up to about 150-200' where the haze seems to get "normal". I can see that underneath the vis layer its clear and there is a definite demarcation on surrounding trees and terrain up to that line/height. After that level the haze looks normalmeaning it is present. Screenie attached.Anyone know a fix to this??? I seem to remember something but its been a LONG time since a re-install.Thanks!Hornit

Guest belga1

Hello,I have the same prob ... Seem's it's pandemic .. and nobody find yet a vaccine worry.gifRegards.bye.gifgus.

Im kind of surprised, I thought I remember a pretty easy fix, its just that Ive tweaked this sim over the years so much I just dont remember what it was!!!:)

From memory I believe it relates to the fact that the sim doesn't account for AGL properly - if I remember rightly it is solved by going into advanced weather settings, visibility, and manually amending the lower altitude of the visibility to ground level.Hope that works for you.

Guest napamule

No vaccine? Perhaps 'NO POSTING' would be the 'cure' (along with the $100 fine). Funny Boys.The 'fix' is simple. Either raise the BASE elevation to 6,000 ft (will also NOT show this 'line' along low hills). But you WILL still have that 'fog' bank visible in the distance (I think that is like real visibility, and I like it, but it's my own preference). Or, lower the base to '0' ft. Wala. No more line.I have experimented with the 'visibility' layer in (almost) all day sessions (in FSX too) and find there are different ways to 'do things' with it. I find it is not 'right' to have the BASE elevation at 100 ft due to that 'line' showing. I find that by starting on the ground and using SLEW to climb thru the layer I can SEE what settings I use will do without having to take time to do take off and fly thru these layers. Saves time.While you're at it, also ck the Cirrus layer range. Set the base to 6,500 ft and the top to 25,000 ft (so when you fly above that elevation your visibility will be unlimited) and then set to 2/3 and 'Few'. You will be surprised at how nicer that Cirrus layer looks. Also don't have 2 layers of Cirrus. And if you have Cumulus, along with the Cirrus, put that layer between 6,500 ft and 12,000 ft and move the Cirrus base up to 12,500 ft. Tricks of the trade.Chuck BNapamule

Guest belga1

Hello,

Or, lower the base to '0' ft. Wala. No more line
Sorry .. but that don't work for me.I must see a other doctor .. lol ...Will post screenies with settings and results ..This is the meteo of my default flight3ypog.jpg15otmqg.jpgo6jhcn.jpgAnd the result !30jpvth.jpgMaybe it's already a 2012 effect ? 2870d97f.gifBTW .. thank's
While you're at it, also ck the Cirrus layer range. Set the base to 6,500 ft and the top to 25,000 ft (so when you fly above that elevation your visibility will be unlimited) and then set to 2/3 and 'Few'. You will be surprised at how nicer that Cirrus layer looks. Also don't have 2 layers of Cirrus. And if you have Cumulus, along with the Cirrus, put that layer between 6,500 ft and 12,000 ft and move the Cirrus base up to 12,500 ft. Tricks of the trade.
Regards.bye.gifGus.

Go find the Bluesphere textures.... use their cirrus_overcast03 bitmap. Goes in your main FS texture folder. It reduces the effect SIGNIFICANTLY. Its still there but its almost not noticeable, plus it makes valley fog and clouds around mountaintops look much better.Just do a search for Bluesphere in one of the popular library sites. Im not quite sure if this was what I used before, but it is a HUGE improvement over the default.

Guest belga1

Hello,Indeed .. with this file ... it's less noticeable.Thank you beer.gifaouf0k.jpgRegards.bye.gifGus.

Another advantage of the Bluesphere addon is that it eliminates the mobile haze layer that follows your a/c. You can choose a haze layer to suite conditions such as pollution! Vololiberista

Screenie not showing....
I can't duplicate your low, clear visibility band whether at sea level or in the mountains. The haze goes right to the ground.Everything appears normal to my eyes.Screenshot shows 10 mile vis for clarity in this much size-reduced shot.My system is pretty ancient with GeForce FX5200 cards- is this problem perhaps associated with newer cards? Alex Reid

MY card is not that new, its Gforce 9800GTX+ I know it MAY be a driver issue. I had zero problems with this card before and I DID not have an issue with the vis layer either.In the sim I have it set to ZERO on the settings page. What happened to me was a boot sector HD problem. Reinstalled windows etc etc and had an issue where the card would not take new drivers other than the ones from the install disk. Aftera lot of research i found many others had the same problem. I ended up resolving that, but reluctant to try more drivers at this stage as the card is now working so well and it did take the driversI was using before my hardware issues. SO bottom line I think it might be a driver issue and can live with this ALMOST fixed situation.If I do anything with drivers and resolve it I will post again with what worked here. I use Nhancer and will try tweaking some of those settings relating to alpha and transparency stuff.

Guest belga1

Hello,january ... can you post a external view of the plane in the same situation like in your inside view.BTW I don't think it's a related driver issue or old GPU issue.Actually I use a old card (some will comment as very old!! 26253307.gif )GTI 4600 Nvidia running drivers (Xtreme G) 71.** serieRegards.bye.gifGus.

Hello,january ... can you post a external view of the plane in the same situation like in your inside view.BTW I don't think it's a related driver issue or old GPU issue.Actually I use a old card (some will comment as very old!! 26253307.gif )GTI 4600 Nvidia running drivers (Xtreme G) 71.** serieRegards.bye.gifGus.
Gus- how is this? Same plane, same location- just different angles, taking advantage of the three monitors. Visibility still 10 miles.These screenies lose a lot of pizazz, reduced from their actual 45" width to fit a single monitor width for AVSIM.Regards Alex ReidDreamFleet Bonanza at Lillooet BC- CAR3. FS9 set for 10 mile visib. (6 yr old AMD 1.8GHz, 2GB Ram, 2 GeForce FX5200 GPUs)