Sign in to follow this  
Pascal

Gamer Laptop

Hi Folks, I am currently seriously thinking about to buy a Gaming Laptop to have allways my flight sim with me (... I have to travel a lot in my Job and in the evening in the hotels are a little bit boring...;-)....)So have anybody experiences with a actual Gaming Laptop to start the FSX or FS9 ? Maybe with i7-Core and Windows 7 ? I am looking foward to get any hints and tips from you all...Best regards Pascal

I wouldn't do it. My gaming laptop burnt out after a year and a half of use. I'd rather put that money into building an i7 desktop that will last for years.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

I wouldn't do it. My gaming laptop burnt out after a year and a half of use. I'd rather put that money into building an i7 desktop that will last for years.
I can't imagine that's typical...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi Folks, I am currently seriously thinking about to buy a Gaming Laptop to have allways my flight sim with me (... I have to travel a lot in my Job and in the evening in the hotels are a little bit boring...;-)....)So have anybody experiences with a actual Gaming Laptop to start the FSX or FS9 ? Maybe with i7-Core and Windows 7 ? I am looking foward to get any hints and tips from you all...Best regards Pascal
No experience Pascal, but I like your i7 idea. Windows7 is pretty much a must nowadays. Make sure it is 64bit.If I was in your shoes I would look at the i7 720QM, GTX260M video, DDR3 RAM and Windows7 64-bit I might even look at something with an SSD drive put FSX on the SSD and the OS on the SATA.It is a few bucks but if I wasting away in a hotel room at night I at least would want to be comfortable. I would probably have to lug a joystick around as well because I couldn

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

It's gonna be way faster if the OS is on the SSD too, dunno why anyone would put that on a slow mechanical disk. SSDs create the most benefit when they're the boot/OS disk too.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hello Guys, Thank you very much for your info especially @ Gery. Your mentioned Laptop "i7 720QM, GTX260M video, DDR3 RAM and Windows7 64-bit " seems to be very good but I think it is also very important understand the actual performance of the newst card like GeForce GTX 240MGeForce GTX 250M GeForce GTX 260MGeForce GTX 280MI my actual desktop system I have the "old" Geforce 8800 GTX with and Intel Core 2 Duo 6700 with 8 GB Ram with Vista Home Premium 64 bit. I would like to ask to you all which card offers me the same Performance with an Laptop ? As I was Informed in a PC Shop the most important part is the garphic card and not the CPU. Of course enough RAM but it theman in teh shop means that latest Intel Core 2 Duo is just enough. Mathijs Kok from Aerosoft said to me one time on the FS Exhibition in Lelystadt (near Amsterdam) that Aerosoft recommend a quad core CPU witt Windows 7 64 bit, so thats means the lastest quad core (The QX9000 from Intel ?!??!) seems then the best choice.... http://www.intel.com/Consumer/Learn/Notebo...e2xe-detail.htmWhat is your opinion ? or your experiences Regards Pascal

Hello Guys, Thank you very much for your info especially @ Gery. Your mentioned Laptop "i7 720QM, GTX260M video, DDR3 RAM and Windows7 64-bit " seems to be very good but I think it is also very important understand the actual performance of the newst card like GeForce GTX 240MGeForce GTX 250M GeForce GTX 260MGeForce GTX 280MI my actual desktop system I have the "old" Geforce 8800 GTX with and Intel Core 2 Duo 6700 with 8 GB Ram with Vista Home Premium 64 bit. I would like to ask to you all which card offers me the same Performance with an Laptop ? As I was Informed in a PC Shop the most important part is the garphic card and not the CPU. Of course enough RAM but it theman in teh shop means that latest Intel Core 2 Duo is just enough. Mathijs Kok from Aerosoft said to me one time on the FS Exhibition in Lelystadt (near Amsterdam) that Aerosoft recommend a quad core CPU witt Windows 7 64 bit, so thats means the lastest quad core (The QX9000 from Intel ?!??!) seems then the best choice.... http://www.intel.com/Consumer/Learn/Notebo...e2xe-detail.htmWhat is your opinion ? or your experiences Regards Pascal
Pascal, speaking strictly to FSX and not any other game or purpose, the 260M is the closet match to the 8800GTX (8800GTX is what I have in home PC) and also the best match to the CPU i7-720. The computer shop is misinformed in telling you the card was more important than the CPU. The CPU for FSX is most important.Q9000 is good, i7 is better. 8GB Ram for an FSX set-up alone is a waste and probably worst than 4GB in performance. The Q9000 is a quad core, so is the i7. I run my home PC on a QX6700 no trouble.If you go with the Q9000 only put in 4GB Ram and use the 260M card.If it was me for the added performance and the minimal additional costs I would be buying the i7. Either one will do i7 or Q9000.Pure opinion no experience.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

It's gonna be way faster if the OS is on the SSD too, dunno why anyone would put that on a slow mechanical disk. SSDs create the most benefit when they're the boot/OS disk too.
I can confirm that however there are some downsides on using SSD, well there will be at least until they polish the new technology.And if you expect to double the FPS - don't count on that - the CPU is still the BOSS........

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

I was out to lunch anyway Ryan as I do not know of a laptop with dual drives.I was thinking storage capacity SSD are still a bit small for my liking. I would probably go with a 1TB SATA.

Regards,
Gary Andersen