Sign in to follow this  
ExternalUse

Error in scenery.cfg

Hi,Since installing the PMDG 744, when starting FSX, I get an error message, that the directory for "Addon Scenery\Scenery" for scenery area.115 could not be found. When clicking OK, FSX starts and operates normally. So it's rather annoying...Searching in google reveals that this might happen to pirate copies, but I purchased mine legally and can prove it. Since the rest of FSX works normally, that might indicate another problem.Could somebody help me out and point me in a direction for further investigation?Many thanks in advance, any hints are appreciated.Kind regards,Stefan Kunstmann

Look at your scenery.cfg file, located in the fsx directory. You should have only one area 115, and in my case it is add-on scenery. Once you determine the title for area 115, you can then turn it off using the library manager or fix it if the problem is obvious.Alternatively, you can start turning off areas until the problem goes away, but this could take awhile.Have you deleted your add-on scenery texture or scenery folders?

Dan Downs KCRP

Many thanks for your reply, Dan.The funny thing is, I don't have any area 115 in my scenery file, the last one is 114. I neither have any extra scenery installed in the moment nor have I changed the scenery.cfg file. It only appeared after I've installed the 744.Could you let me know how your 115 entry looks like, that I could try that one? I might convince that annoying error message to go away, then.Your help is greatly appreciated, many thanks!Kind regards,Stefan Kunstmann

Trying to copy someone elses cfg file could lead to multiple problems, that file is simply the settings that you make in the scenery manager. I believe you can change the cfg file to a bak file, restart FS and it should make a new one. If you had add-on scenery, you will then have to go to the scenery manager and add them back.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hm, still can't solve this one. The claimed folder Scenery\Addon Scenery simply doesn't exist, but neither does the entry in the scenery.cfg (looked in both FSX directory and %appdata%).Maybe I should give it a try and re-install FSX plus Addons from scratch - might help...Thanks a bunch anyway,Stefan

Hm, still can't solve this one. The claimed folder Scenery\Addon Scenery simply doesn't exist, but neither does the entry in the scenery.cfg (looked in both FSX directory and %appdata%).Maybe I should give it a try and re-install FSX plus Addons from scratch - might help...Thanks a bunch anyway,Stefan
Which scenery.cfg were you looking at?I understand the one FSX uses (assuming a default installation) is located here:C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\FSXrather than the one which is located in your main FSX folder as we are used to in FS2004.

Which scenery.cfg were you looking at? [...]C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX
I've been looking at both, they're identical. I've just decided to do a fresh install in the evening today and will take it from there. Will take ages to record all the settings in the various addons like FSUIPC, shortcuts to commands and so on, but it might help performance as well. I'll see...Many thanks, though.Stefan

No Slight against you Stefan, but why is everyone so adamant that a re-install of the Sim, or worse, the OS, is the answer to all of their problems?I've just made the jump to Win7 64 Bit from XPSP3 32Bit, and opted to do a full clean install rather than an upgrade to ensure that everything was as i wanted it to be, I dont plan on doing another re-install for a few years. I just couldnt face it. It's taken four days to get FS9 and X installed back to a state that i am happy with, and i still have about 1 weeks worth of texture tweaking and scenery fixing to do. The Scenery Layer issue is a minor problem and a really easy fix. I could have talked you through it on skype or MSN in minutes....I mean no offence to you Stefan, but i see 're-install' pop up as the solution to every problem way too often. It should be the absolute last resort.For future reference though look for a bit of software called SCM2004. Point it to the FS9 exe in your FSX folder, and use the button 'renumber' and then 'save changes' Problem solved.Paul

Thanks for the suggestion, and I do agree with you in most points. My installation however was more or less a test one anyway: I did install and uninstall so many things that even with my IMHO good computer the frame rates dropped to nil - and sometimes even below, it seemed. Unfortunately, the advice comes a bit too late for me... I did install from scratch, and as you said, I'm still reconfiguring keyboard-commands for FS, FSUIPC and so on. I didn't want to use any of the ini or cfg files. Thanks for the software suggestions, I'll certainly look into that more closely.Sincere thanks for your efforts,Stefan