Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Seems high-performance Mem Modules are failing....

these aren't know it all concepts... synchronization concepts are as basic as they get. The real problem is idiots who buy this stuff, then claim there is a difference that's worth spending twice as much. Honestly the most genius comment comes from the guy who's overclocking his ram, instead of underclocking it.
The differences between speeds were/are measurable, and therefore worth the relatively small extra cost (to me). Huge difference? No. But noticeable nevertheless.That said, I think I'm going to take NickN's lead and simply refuse to argue with name-calling 10th graders that think they're quantum physicists. 'nuf said.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

these aren't know it all concepts... synchronization concepts are as basic as they get. The real problem is idiots who buy this stuff, then claim there is a difference that's worth spending twice as much. Honestly the most genius comment comes from the guy who's overclocking his ram, instead of underclocking it.
Granted... but telling people that they need to take a course in electronics, talking about garden gates, clock wobblies and frieght trains :( I think I can speak on behalf of alot of us here that we definately appreciate and definately gain more valuable knowledge with hardware decisions by well informed posts that keep it simple. Tech gurus going at it with absolutely no other purpose other than to prove the other guy wrong can be quite entertaining but really how many times does the OP walk away with a satisfactory answer.

Guest BionicCrab

I believe I made the same argument when these came on the market. You guys listened to the so called experts and some people are now stuck with very expensive junk. Maybe if you stopped listening to these people and their so called informed posts than this thread wouldn't have been necessary??? Bottom line the real tech guys are going to give you a YES/NO answer. Not tell you what you want to hear, so they can justify their own or your stupid purchases. If an explanation sounds too simple.. question it. But don't confuse the direct YES/NO answers validity because they lack explanation, bottom line is the real answer is far too long for a forum posts. Tech guys are not going to sit there and tell you exactly how to build parallel NAND circuits just to explain how RAM works.

Guest Nick_N

I still have both my original 6-5-6-18 and the 6-7-6-18 Mushkin sticks and they work just fine.. I had one set I bought as high-clock sticks from Corsair and another from OCZ that had a bad stick in them and were RMA'd And I had one set (extra on the 6-7-6) from Mushkin I had to RMA for one stick This issue was seen by all the memory companies and not just Mushkin.. and it had nothing to do with the timing of the modules either.. Yes Bob, I agree which is why I do not visit here very often any more other than to respond to threads I may have posted in the past. If the 'know-it-alls" actually knew the backgrounds involved they were challenging they wouldn't open their smart mouths very often and prove exactly how old they are or how much they really do not know.

Guest BionicCrab

This from a guy who's optimizations reduce frame rates by half...

BionicCrab - This thread is filled with provacotive and unnecessary posts from you. There's no need to be so aggresive amongst a crowd of folks just trying to give each other advise and provide a welcoming community of sharing ideas and suggestions. Tone it down ASAP, if not sooner.

Guest BionicCrab

I just find it odd that anyone would actually debate whether or not SDRAM(Synchronous Dynamic RAM) timing was controlled by the system clock or not :) I mean if it seems like I'm trolling fine... but at the very least the only two people who are disagreeing are the ones who claim to have an electrical engineering background when it's obvious they don't. What's worse they use these so called "qualifications" as a justification for their wild theories on other things, including "shader based graphics cards", when in reality the entire pipeline is reprogrammable, or "pre-rendered graphics" being an actual real-time rendering method. Now, a certain someone is claiming he never actually recommended a particular defective product line, and in fact uses a lower CAS delay than what he previously recommended and argued vehemently was equivalent. To me it's plain conjecture not expertise.

Timings are not a measurement of performance. Latency however, is. Latency of course is derived by dividing minimum access time (in clock cycles) by clock cycles per second. This usually provides a latency in the 1's or 10's of ns (nanosecond) range, when discussing latency of modern consumer-class DRAM devices. I won't comment on others directly. No need to get personal with anyone. I agree that sometimes terminology is mis-used and abused around these parts, however.

Just want to re-amplify for those who have access to (and are still considering buying) the part number listed at the top of the thread (998691).The high failure rates were associated with Elpida

I just lost one of my Mushkin Redline modules part number 998692 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 6-7-6-18 Redline (Triple Kit). I have been running this memory at the manufacturers timings and voltage. There must have been problems across the board with the redline products as they were EOL'd pretty quick. I also notice that no manufacturer at present sells a triple channel kit at these timings including Mushkin. I purchased mine in September less than 4 months ago and one module is completely dead. I can tell you that there is a very noticeable difference running FSX with the memroy running in dual channel mode instead of tri-channel mode. Bummer.I already ordered some Corsair Modules and am awaiting a response from Mushkin support.

Guest FlyingBits
I just lost one of my Mushkin Redline modules part number 998692 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 6-7-6-18 Redline (Triple Kit). I have been running this memory at the manufacturers timings and voltage. There must have been problems across the board with the redline products as they were EOL'd pretty quick. I also notice that no manufacturer at present sells a triple channel kit at these timings including Mushkin. I purchased mine in September less than 4 months ago and one module is completely dead. I can tell you that there is a very noticeable difference running FSX with the memroy running in dual channel mode instead of tri-channel mode. Bummer.I already ordered some Corsair Modules and am awaiting a response from Mushkin support.
Not sure if this will help you but smost of the highspeed 2000 frequency kits will achieve those timings if you lower it to 1600For instance the Patriot 2000 kit I have will has to run 8-8-8-24 @ 2000, but will run as tight as 6-6-5-15 @ 1600 @ 1.65v2000 kits aren't cheap so I dont know if it helps you.Here is a test of four 2000 speed kits of the newer non-defective chips, notice the chart where tigh timings are achieved:http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr3-2...6gb,2320-6.htmlHelp any?