Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Seems high-performance Mem Modules are failing....

...enough to have some manufacturers suspend sales of their product line!The Mushkin Redline Ascents have been deactivated at Newegg, AND..every one of them (different timings) are no longer for sale RIGHT FROM MUSHKIN!Not rocket science...the memory chips at aggressive timings are not holding up. Glad that I stuck for now with my stock 1066's oc' to 1367 MHz. I had been following the page waiting for a good price...and after seeing these were deactivated, went to www.mushkin.com, and found that they ALL (Ascent line-up) are not for sale. Not out of stock---not for sale. Some FROSTBITE's still are. Interesting development, being that some other AVSIM users were having module failures (also other than Mushkin...Corsair, etc) with aggressive-timing products. It will be interesting to follow this development over the next few months of the new year![/url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820226050

I've been researching DDR3 memory for the past few days and recalled seeing a comment that high performance Elpida Memory chips provided to several companies including Corsair, OCZ, and Kingston were causing serious problems. In a July 22, 2009 press announcement Corsair noted it had "re-introduced the popular Dominator GT line of memory modules. These modules had been removed from the market due to unacceptable failure levels of the Elpida "Hyper" components with which the modules are constructed." Sounds like it's now Mushkins turn.

Regards,

Claude Franklin

I thought those were only the DDR3 running at 2000MHz ???Hmmm, those mushkin kits (were) some of the best... too bad....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest BionicCrab

You do realize there is a clock on the motherboard so you can NEVER achieve 2000mhz performance...or even 1600 for that matter...gate is open information passes through gate is closed, and repeat... unless some of you have some your own theories on synchronization :) If you think information is just passed through and it's written at 2000mhz speed, you really need to take a course on electronics.

You do realize there is a clock on the motherboard so you can NEVER achieve 2000mhz performance...or even 1600 for that matter...gate is open information passes through gate is closed, and repeat... unless some of you have some your own theories on synchronization :) If you think information is just passed through and it's written at 2000mhz speed, you really need to take a course on electronics.
It appears that you do not understand what a 2 GHz memory clock speed really is. Maybe you need to go take one of those courses, too.CheerioBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

While were on the subject of memory here, and with all other things being equal (the memory appropriately matched / balanced and setup in a good CPU speed-wise for FSX), what sort of performance difference could be expected going from a CAS9 to say a CAS7 timing in use with FSX?

Frank L.T

Guest BionicCrab
It appears that you do not understand what a 2 GHz memory clock speed really is. Maybe you need to go take one of those courses, too.CheerioBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO
You have no idea what your talking about do you? memory clock speeds are derived from the system clock... they are not separate entities. You ever heard of clock jitter ?

If you think information is just passed through and it's written at 2000mhz speed, you really need to take a course on electronics.
No sorry, I don't do electronics hard core, just air traffic control.AFAIK the 2000MHz RAM was mainly for the hard core overclocking club...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

You have no idea what your talking about do you? memory clock speeds are derived from the system clock... they are not separate entities. You ever heard of clock jitter ?
So what?? The base clock is a system reference clock that is then multiplied or divided as needed by other system controllers. The independence of the clocks is irrelevant. Now you suggest that "2000 MHz performance" (whatever that means) is not possible because the BCLK is on the motherboard? Wrong. I guarantee you that a 2 GHz mem clock speed is trivially attainable on an unlocked CPU even at the default 133.33 MHz BCLK by setting the memory clock multiplier appropriately.Yes, I know what clock jitter is...and how to quantify it with a spectrum analyzer and a few measurements of the phase noise envelope. And once again, a big "so what?"RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest BionicCrab

None of what you said makes sense... obviously because you're trying to quote wiki... if you don't even know the gate limitations of ram then I doubt you understand anything. We're talking about jitter in terms of impulse trains.. NOTHING ELSE... spectrum/phase/noise have nothing to do with the topic on hand. Unless you think a single point is a "spectrum"

This is the same fallacy that existed ever since system clock, CPU clock, and memory clocks all diverged at the beginning of last decade. Just because you have differential clocks doesn't mean they're unmatched. Interfaces have widths as well as speeds. You need to multiply the two to derive a performance metric.

None of what you said makes sense... obviously because you're trying to quote wiki... if you don't even know the gate limitations of ram then I doubt you understand anything. We're talking about jitter in terms of impulse trains.. NOTHING ELSE... spectrum/phase/noise have nothing to do with the topic on hand. Unless you think a single point is a "spectrum"
OH NO!!!! Not another Mr Know it all.... Here we go again :( What on this earth does all that mumbo jumbo have to do with enjoying flightsim. It really doesnt belong in a flightsim forum. Other than letting other users know that there are bad modules out there and to be cautious if considering buying them which is exactly what the op did, all this indepth back and forth technical crap that means absolutely nothing to us should be left to more technical forums where you can argue back and forth at your hearts content.

Guest BionicCrab

these aren't know it all concepts... synchronization concepts are as basic as they get. The real problem is idiots who buy this stuff, then claim there is a difference that's worth spending twice as much. Honestly the most genius comment comes from the guy who's overclocking his ram, instead of underclocking it.