Sign in to follow this  

FSD! Im over add-ons with anti-piracy built in.

Guest TimD

Ian,See my post above. We did not know any such thing. But given the cirumstances, we were certainly entitled to inquire. It was the inquiry that the person in question objected to. In a very impolite manner.But as I said, in spite of all this, he did get the unlock he requested, as soon as the facts were determined.http://www.fsd-international.com/team/TD_forum_sig.gif

why not just come up with a new installer....something like the flight1 wrapper...something that would tie the install routine with the user having to enter several items of personal information that he would not likely give out to friends/neighbors such as credit card#, name and full address...you could sell it on cd ONLY as well and make the user register his personal info with your website so that when he tries to install with the cd, the installer will look for a match of his registered credit card#, expiration date, name AND full address...this will stop the majority of users who wish to SHARE their new toys with friends AND it would make a hackers job alot more difficult to crack all that requested info.To my way of thinking it is less intrusive to check the users hardware instead of his credit card info and address...but that may be an opinion left up to the end user...perhaps you could ofer a choice...the only problem would come in when a user stops/closes a credit card account that he once used for a flightsim purchase...so perhaps the industry could even come up with a universal type of credit/debit card strictly to be used for flightsim purchases online?...a flightsim debit card sounds like a neat idea to me, personally...where the user can credit any amount he wishes to be placed on the card for his online purchses (sort of like paypal does)...noones going to give out their debit card# and expir date along with their names and addresses, tel#'s etc.If all the online flightsim retailers get together on this then perhaps a deal can be worked out with a company like PAYPAL to make up the debit cards to distribute...perhaps avsim could even help...or MS themselves...doesnt sound like a terribly difficult thing to get done but all the online flightsim reatilers would have to agree to accept the card to begin with.Dave

Guest pilotsim7828

Well, It seems To me that there are some people for FSD, And some Against FSD,My vote is to never buy thier product again , and I`m WARNING my friends not to either, It seems that FSD has got thier heads way up in the clouds , That they think they are GODS,Im Still waiting for my C/C Bill To see that they did refund my money, I`ll Wait to see if they did first before I go any further END OF STORY

Guest pilotsim7828

Well, It seems To me that there are some people for FSD, And some Against FSD,My vote is to never buy thier product again , and I`m WARNING my friends not to either, It seems that FSD has got thier heads way up in the clouds , That they think they are GODS,Im Still waiting for my C/C Bill To see that they did refund my money, I`ll Wait to see if they did first before I go any further END OF STORY

>>While a department supervisor of an international>corporation>>with approx. 150 computers in my department, I was surprised>>to learn from the IT guys that my MS Office 2000 upgrade on>>ONE computer required an INDIVIDUAL license to be purchased>@>>$650.00 US. I was told at that time that MS can visit>anytime>>they choose and examine INDIVIDUAL licenses for each machine>>and can levy large fines and in extreme cases deny existing>>licenses to the corporation.>>>You've lost me here. What is surprising about that? MS could>come around to my house any time they wish to look at my>licences. Far more preferable than product activation if you>ask me. I'd even put the kettle on for them.I've been lurking through this thread because I find it very interesting. What is being debated has nothing to do with FS or piracy, really. What is at issue is the difference between copyright and patents, and who has the authority to enforce law against abuses of either. Software AUTHORs grant an end-user a license because what is protected is a document - the code. The fact that a machine can use that code to simulate flight has no bearing legally. It is the civil right of the owner of that document do read and interpret it however (s)he feels fit. Whether I need to use this computer or another to make that interpretation is my business (bear with me, I'm speaking in legal perspectives here). Frankly, I'm shocked that anyone would be willing to grant microsoft the authority to police copyright law in any context, be it sending a guy in for tea or requiring activation of the product. This does illustrate a blurring of the law with respect to software. Since the code requires a machine to be of any use, should it be protected by copyright or patent? Its a grey scale. However, its the software developers that must realize that agreeing to this (referring to allowing developer-based tracking of software) shifts that grey away from copyright protection to patentable technology - soon (or never, we'll see) the software you write may not be a legally protected document, but a technology. This has ramafications. Are *you* going to patent an addon for FS? Microsoft will, and then you as the developer have no rights to the design... Great news for companies like intuit. Bad news for FSD. I find it interesting to see where small developers fall on this line. By proactively protecting the document they've created, companies like FSD are strengthening the case of corporations who want to make software a patentable technology. I'm not saying thats wrong, just pointing out that what is being discussed here is far deeper than what you're all reading.To summarize: there are two concurrent arguments here which can be separated.1.) Civil Rights argument - currently, software is considered a document protected by copyright. Does the author have the authority to protect his work by monitoring when/where/how that document is "read"?2.) Legal Definition - Should software be considered a document protected by copyright or a technology protected by patent?Thanks,back to lurking.sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Well this any-piracy and FSD Has just screwed me over! FIRST LET ME SAY THAT THERE PRODUCTS ARE VERY GOOD BUT THE ANTI PIRACY IS NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!Im a legal owner of the FSD GMAX Cheyenne and commander. FSD will not re-activate my install Licence becouse they claim I reinstall them too much! ( About 8times total ). They also claim Ive installed it on another PC! Thats not true! I was all for this any-piracy part of flightsim but not anymore! Ive done nothing wrong here! If they think re-installing your product is piracy then Im over add-ons with anti-piracy built in.Here is a copy of my emails with FSD.This is total BS! I want my money refunded then!!! I can uderstand your anti-piracy but not when you go after your customers who have done nothing wrong!Ive not given the product to anyone or installed it on any other PC! Ive reinstalled windows a few times!!!! Thats it!Why dont you chase the real piracy people?Please re-activate my Lic or refund the moneyDont know why your got my IP as ##########My IP is a Static. Its never any differant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Pete ------------------------EDITED: Edited to remove private email. Ain't allowed folks. Posting other's email to you is unethical. You are free to have a complaint with FSD, and post your complaint here, if you so choose, but posting their email correspondance with you, without their permission is a no no.------------------------What attitude? Didnt give you any! Im just unhappy with your actions! Yes Ive probable reinstalled windows 10 times in the past 3 months. Ive upgrade my MotherBoard, Ram, Vidcard and HD over the past 3 months getting rdy for FS2004! Ive had some problems with my system too! Thats why Ive reinstalled Windows as much as I have! If we are limited to only 5 re-installs then I will never buy from you again!!!! I reinstall windows every 2 or 3 months becouse I like a fresh start!Please re-activate my Lic! Or refund my money. Thats all I ask. its NOT threats or abuse ! Just a simple request!Pete

Hi Tim,While I agree with FSD's stance on the inquiry, quite obviously there must be a better way in which to handle this. One is dealing with a situation that is sensitive by nature. Quite clearly this whole situation (which in my opinion could have been averted) has left a bad taste in some users mouth regarding FSD, i.e I have read quite a few msg's here about users stating that they will no longer buy FSD products, now that is not good for FSD nor for the FS community. Perhaps FSD should re-look at how they handle such cases, as I'm sure Peters case is not the only one around, I for one have been know to un-install and re-install operating systems, upgrade machines, etc... from time to time. I have not heard back from Peter on this issue, but perhaps he should send a message now and let us know if the situation has been resolved to his satisfaction, after all he is the clientRegards as alwaysIan Gwww.fstv.us