Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stephan

FS2004: Stop illegal download, Be patient!

Sorry to beat this to a pulp but...NDA timing has nothing to do with Criminal activity!!It has to do with morals, right and wrong, and breaking the law.Don't blame anyone but the lawless who have no conscience or moral values.Off my Dr. Laura soapbox!http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

Guest edrutl

Geof,I don't support or condone piracy, nor do I put blame on the victim for a crime.However, that doesn't stop me from locking my car door and turning the burgular alarm on my home. Unfortunately we live in a society where we need to mitigate our risk. And IMVHO, I think this one decision (in the midst of several good marketing decisions) raised the profile of the dirty piracy element to our community. I bet you cash money Tim (sorry to use him as an example) would have never even fathomed downloaded FS if the whole issue of FS2004 being available on pirated software sites hadn't been a hot topic. And I'm sure he's not alone.ed

The lifting of the NDA has nothing to do with the availability of the pirated version(s) out there. For FS2002 we didn't get our copies until some weeks after the retail release, however pirated versions of the betas were available prior to the release.There are always some who just have to go against whats right and good, sad fact of life these days. I am thankful the NDA was lifted earlier and we got our copies prior to the release.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

>Geof,>>Again, the foolish part was the marketing decision to lift the>NDA so early that it encouraged the promotion of the pirated>versions of the program. I absolutely see zero connection between pirated copies and timing of NDA. If someone wants to steal he is not going to wait for NDA to be lifted. Use your br*in ...Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Ed, "Again, the foolish part was the marketing decision to lift the>NDA so early that it encouraged"There is absolutely no relation between the lifted NDA and Piracy, remember at fs2002 time, the beta was available way before the gold version was finished. Also there is good chance that FSUIPC will not works with the leaked version.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest edrutl

Michael,I'm think I am using my brain, and I'm sorry if you misinterpreted what I said. For the 3rd time.1. I fully support releasing the gold version early to 3rd party designers/beta testers. It's good marketing to drum up interest and it helps the FS community test 3rd party upgrades and helps FS sites write timely reviews. I know - I wrote two parts of the FS2002 review for this site after the product had hit the shelves. While I was proud of my work, I know it could have been much more comprehensive if I had more time to write it.2. I said from the begining there has always been piracy and there is an element that would always download it for free regardless. 3. The the connection between the NDA timing is that is let some people glamorize the fact they had the program and made some people who normally wouldn't consider downloading a pirated copy download it. (Like the original poster) I'm sure every version of FS has been pirated, but didn't get the publicity in our community because the commericial release was imminent or it had already been released.I never said it shouldn't have gone gold early. I never said the NDA shouldn't have been lifted early. And I never said either was the cause of piracy. It is my opinion that lifting the 6 weeks early (as opposed to 2-3) had the unintended consequence of encouraging some to download a pirated version and share the fact it was available. This made some consider illegally downloading the program instead of waiting. (see original post in the thread)BTW, disagree with me if you want Michael, but I don't appreciate the personal insult being thrown out.Ed

What an appalling thread this is, Geof. I'd get the heck out of it if I were you! And the others in similar vein. The endless speculative garbage about FS2004 over the past few weeks has been bad enough, but these piracy threads are the limit.I used to come to this forum to find out things about flying FS, but it's getting tough to find anything these days. Ah well, it's our choice to come here, and a free world, but a little too free sometimes, methinks ...I blame too much television, too much HAVE HAVE HAVE mentality, lack of social awareness/responsibility and too many old farts about like us to point this out. Also cereal with too much sugar in it, cheap Coca Cola, flashing sneakers and Rap music. Oh, and Microsoft for making FS in the first place. If we didn't have it, nobody could moan and gripe about it.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

ED, "It is my opinion that lifting the 6 weeks early (as opposed to 2-had the unintended consequence of encouraging some to download a pirated version and share the fact it was available. This made some consider illegally downloading the program instead of waiting. (see original post in the thread)""had the unintended consequence of encouraging some to download a pirated version" Fs 2002 was avaiable more than 6 weeks before the fs2k2 gold release, there was more people have it and post information and screenshots on various web site then fs2004. There is more control with fs2004 than fs2002 at the time, it was worst with fs2k2 on many web site to saw all information and shots.No matter what it is, for those people know where to download it, it`s not the first time they download piracy product and they are people can't wait anyway, if only one guys tell that it is available on web site, alot of people will check their links and download it..ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Slightly OT . . .If a software company wants to trace a pirated version prior to general release, it can imbed a unique serial number into the the programs, be they beta or gold.This way if a pirated version gets out, it (or they if more than one) may be traced to an individual tester for legal action.Just food for thought, because pirated software has to come from either a willing participant or a foolishly unguarded one.

Hello,I felt compelled to come here to avsim and apologize to the community. My conscience has been bothering me alot lately, and reading the posts from various users here in the FSD threads, has made me decide to make a change.I was a member of the website mentioned in the threads hosted at lycos in NZ. I downloaded various software, and once even shared something I purchased. I was of the mindset, once again mentioned in the posts recently, that, I wanted to try it before I buy it, to see if it is worth it. And on that premise I based all of my decisions to download the software. Now I feel that, that view is TOTALLY WRONG!! I even went as far as to download the FS2004 released a little while ago.But, due to the outcry of the community, for fairness from the vendors, even though the problem is not theirs, but because of people like me, I have removed these ties from me. I will no longer take part in the sharing and distributing of illegal software, IT IS WRONG. I really want to stress this to all of the community.I have removed all of the software, EVERYTHING I downloaded to my machine, including FS2004. Uninstalled and the CDs broken in half. I really cannot beleive how entrenched these bad views can become, it got to the point that I thought what I was doing was alright, and that the developers were wrong in charging what they did for there work. But, now I realize that the people are working to make a living for their families, for their business and well being. Of course because of the fun too.I really feel bad and that I have treated all of you with utter disrespect. And for that I can only ask for your kind forgiveness. I would not come here and lie because I know Avsim can get the IP I posted from and block me. I can only ask that you beleive me, and allow me to rejoin the wonderful community that this place has become. I don't know of anything else I can say, except again, I am very sorry for what I have done and taken part in. I will do what I can to put a stop to the website I was a part of, and make it known they are being watched.Thank you for allowing me to post this Avsim, as soon as I can i will donate to this community to help in its continuing growth.Later