Sign in to follow this  
Guest patch10

PMDG MD-11X

Guest patch10

Hi,Have both MD-11X and 747-400X with FSX under Windows Vista. Both are excellent aircraft but have one problem.After completing a flight carried out in autopilot, after a successful landing I am then unable to continue with a return flight without reloading FSX. If I try just selecting the current airport and runway from the "World" option in the cockpit, I am unable to get the correct screens on the FMC to do the return flight plan which is showing the plan used to arrive at the current airport. Ending the flight and selecting the current airport and runway from the FSX screen results the aircraft's panels being completely blank and dark. All external views appear OK.This only happens with the PMDG MD-11X, the 747-400X seems perfectly OK.Has anyone any ideas on this?Regardspatch10

You should be able to clear the flightplan in the FMS by entering new ORIG/DEST values on the INIT screen. FSX is unhappy when you try to reload the same aircraft/engine combo if the sim uses advanced animations (which of course the pmdg do).

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest patch10

Hi Dan,Thanks for the swift response.Can't think why I had problems. Should have been obvious what I needed to do.Anyway, everything went OK, however, having completed the flight plan when I went to the TO/APPR screen and entered FLEX, FLAPS, SLOPE/WIND and OAT as normal I didn't have any VSpds showing. I could enter values at their respective places but, of course, I had no way of knowing what they should be.I'm sure I've missed something but for the life of me I can't think what.Any ideas?patch10

Hi John, Did you make sure you filled out all three pages of the "INIT" pages? Just the TO\APPR data isn't enough for the V-Speeds to be caculated. Also, just to note, you don't need to enter the Flex value. Personally, I still have yet to read on the "Flex" box. Well I have but still am confused by it and after I learn the other things on my plate will read into it more. So far it doesn't make much sense to me that to increase my takeoff thrust I need to tell it the TAT is warmer? Wouldn't it just be easier to let the FMS just take off with all the weight and cg data? Hahaha, I know, I am probably way off with that but it's what I've gathered so far,,, I'll get to it eventually. Still many more important things I need to soak up ;-)

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Guest patch10

Hi Dan,Yes I'm sure I completed all of the FMU entries correctly, at least I entered the details exactly as the outward journey except, of course, the airports were reversed and in fact I tried it again earlier today but with the same result.Normally I fill in all the required info. with the OAT last after which the V SPDS appear and just require confirmation.I just cannot identify anything that I do differently.Just hope you have some other ideas.Kind regardsJohn - patch10

HiJust a quick question, did you enter your RW info in the SID page in the Flightplan???Audun Sj

Guest patch10

Hi,If RW means runway number then yes, I definitely entered that.RegardsJohn

Just a suggestion (I didn't try, I'm not sure) : may be reinitialize IRS...Regards.Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

Guest patch10

Hi,Back again!This time I had some success. I noticed some weight entries missing from the INIT page2. These entries seem to be automatically entered for the outward flight and so I had not noticed their absence for the return flight. I get a little confused with ZFW, ZFWCG, TOGW and TOCG but I guess I must have entered what was necessary. I did, however, get a FMU message saying "INITIALISE ZFWCG" but I didn't know what it meant let alone how to do it.The only other thing I did differently was to take off from the same runway that I landed on instead of from the other end but I wouldn't have thought that would make any difference.RegardsJohn patch10

Guest JimManley

For thru flights the FMS needs to be re-initialized. The airplane needs to be told where it is and where it is going each flight. Take the IRS switches to OFF then back to ON within 30 for a faster ailignment. Go to the INIT page to enter departure, destination and alternate airports. Go to the FLT PLN page to select the runway and departure procedure. Only then will you be able to enter the Take off data when the airplane knows which runway it will be using. I would use the MD-11 load manager to send fuel, payload, and weight info to the FMS to have accurate V speeds etc.Hope that helps.

Guest JimManley

FlexThe engines are rated at either 62,000 or 60,000 lbs of thrust. To save engine wear and tear the engines are used in a de-rated manner. For example, if I have an airplane with 62k engines and I know that the aircraft will fly with 60k engines I use a power setting to simulate a 60k power setting. Let's say TO thrust for a 62k is 100% N1 and to get 60k worth of thrust out of it I can use 95% N1. Flex is a way to take a 60k engine to a derated mode as well. If it is a nice day with a temperature of 15 C and I know that the airplane will fly off the same runway on a hot day 35 C (when thrust/performance will be less) I enter 35 into the flew box and the N1 or EPR setting will be less than Max.Try looking at the N1 or EPR setting on the take off page with and without a Flex entry to see the changes. It is just a way to make the engines not work as hard to prolonging engine life. Flex is never required and is prohibited on wet/contaminated runways or after the aircraft is de-iced.

Guest patch10
For thru flights the FMS needs to be re-initialized. The airplane needs to be told where it is and where it is going each flight. Take the IRS switches to OFF then back to ON within 30 for a faster ailignment. Go to the INIT page to enter departure, destination and alternate airports. Go to the FLT PLN page to select the runway and departure procedure. Only then will you be able to enter the Take off data when the airplane knows which runway it will be using. I would use the MD-11 load manager to send fuel, payload, and weight info to the FMS to have accurate V speeds etc.Hope that helps.
Hi Jim,Thanks for all the info.I think I do everything required to tell the aircraft where it is and where it is going, in fact I follow the proceedure I use on its initial flight and that includes the MD-11 load manager. Since entering the info. required by the WEIGHT INIT page, which I had missed before, I now get all my V SPDS correctly and am able to confirm them in fact everything seems OK except for the message "INITIALISE ZFWCG" even though the value is correct. The only way I can get rid of this message is to use the CLR button.What do you mean when you say "Take the IRS switches to OFF and the back ON"? Which switches are these?Many thanks for your helpJohn patch10

Guest JimManley
Hi Jim,Thanks for all the info.I think I do everything required to tell the aircraft where it is and where it is going, in fact I follow the proceedure I use on its initial flight and that includes the MD-11 load manager. Since entering the info. required by the WEIGHT INIT page, which I had missed before, I now get all my V SPDS correctly and am able to confirm them in fact everything seems OK except for the message "INITIALISE ZFWCG" even though the value is correct. The only way I can get rid of this message is to use the CLR button.What do you mean when you say "Take the IRS switches to OFF and the back ON"? Which switches are these?Many thanks for your helpJohn patch10
they are in the upper left of the overhead panel...if you are in the 2D cockpit, hit shift A to see the overhead. or from the view menu you can select it also.Jim

Guest patch10
they are in the upper left of the overhead panel...if you are in the 2D cockpit, hit shift A to see the overhead. or from the view menu you can select it also.Jim
Hi Jim,Tried your suggestion but I still get the "INITIALISE ZFWCG" messageJohn

Hi Jim,Tried your suggestion but I still get the "INITIALISE ZFWCG" messageJohn
Hi John,Just to make sure, you do know the default settings are for the IRS to take 10 minutes for alignment right? Make sure you do not move the aircraft at all (including pushback) for 10 minutes after setting your IRS. Also make sure you set it to intialise in the MCDU (FMC) as well after you set the IRS knobs to align.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier