Sign in to follow this  
Guest guyjr

FS2004 & Chris Willis

I've been watching this forum for a while now, looking for (and drooling over!) every shot from FS2004 I could find. I've seen many comments in reply to these shots, with a very large majority very positive and a few who have (mostly) pointed out some deficiencies carried over from earlier versions. With all that, I'd like to perhaps summarize (VERY briefly) some of what I'm seeing overall that I think will make FS2004 a giant leap over FS2002 (which was a giant leap above FS2000, believe me! :-hah). I'm wondering how many have picked up on some of these few points, and you might want to go back for a second look-see :-).A few points then:1) Roads at night have lights again - maybe traffic, maybe street lamps, but I've seen it in shots of country roads as well as around major cities.2) MUCH less in the way of repeating textures on the ground from up high. Flying over the Prairies or American Midwest should be much less monotonous (and fake looking) than before.3) MANY more autogen features generally and a much more realistic look at the ground.4) The clouds and weather!!! Not much more one can say about that except GASP!!!5) At least some aircraft from earlier versions that have been remodelled and had their graphics improved upon tremendously. The Lear 45 is a prime example. Hey, just by virtue of being able to control the aircraft from the VC means you now can have EXTREMELY realistic panels for virtually any aircraft one can make. Imagine flying the 182 with the Dreamfleet panel in a VC mode! It doesn't get much better than that, and that's just one example.6) General dynamics of the whole sim seems much more "fluid" and better put together. More "seamless" if you will.OK, that's what I've picked up on off the top of my head, and without really trying. Looking harder will probably cause one to see much more than just those things alone. Have a look and see just how much new stuff (or improved) you can pick out and you'll see what I mean. One fellow commented that the lightning didn't look very realistic, nor did the clouds. The explanation/description that followed by the fellow who took the shot was nothing short of awe-inspiring in terms of what that "still-trying-to-capture-a-moving-image" portrayed. I'm very, very impressed!To Chris Willis and the other FS2004 beta testers (but Chris especially since he's posted the most here on FS2004), a HUGE thank you for all the time you've taken to post here and give explanations. Chris' work with FSW has been ground-breaking and many of the clouds you see in FS2002 shots here have obviously had FSSE installed. Thank you Chris!Lastly, to those folks who (and they are few and far between) seem somewhat annoyed at having to start more or less from scratch building new airplanes and scenery again (this isn't true, but it is true that some of the much older stuff just won't work) for yet another version of FS, I hope that what you have seen here lately has changed your mind about the validity of having to update (I say this with a good-natured wink and a nudge :-) ). This is definitely NOT FS2002 revisited! But hey, if you still don't like the idea of having to upgrade (in hardware, software, whatever), I invite you to check out this website here (an excellent site!): http://simflight.com/~fshistory/fsh/index.htmNow, if MS followed your wishes, then this is what we'd still be flying :-). I think I'll live with the "starting over" routine :-).All the best gang, and thanks for the entertaining pics here!Glenn

With all that, I'd like to perhaps summarize (VERY>briefly) some of what I'm seeing overall that I think will>make FS2004 a giant leap over FS2002 (which was a giant leap>above FS2000, believe me! :-hah). As I was doing some late evening cloud testing to answer someone's question, this pic just "happened" to take place. Visually, I think it's a "giant" leap, perhaps even stunning! :)http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/21981.jpgL.Adamson

>2) MUCH less in the way of repeating textures on the ground>from up high. not sure about this one. I have seen some high-altitude ground pics and tiling is still obvious. I look at it this way - if they really added variety to the terrain tiles that would most likely have noticable impact on the total installation size - yet it is still the same 1.6-1.8 GB as in FS2002. Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

>not sure about this one. I have seen some high-altitude ground>pics and tiling is still obvious. I look at it this way - if>they really added variety to the terrain tiles that would most>likely have noticable impact on the total installation size ->yet it is still the same 1.6-1.8 GB as in FS2002. >Michael,I don't know the specifics of terrain tiles, but many areas such as where I do my "backcountry" flying looks significantly better. It's a more pleasing green with lot's of growth for close up mountainous area. Same with the Caribbean tiles. But other areas look about the same. Autogen seems to throw a lot more trees in, with little impact on fps.L.Adamson

Hi Michael, The fs2004 files size in total is 2.59GB."I have seen some high-altitude ground pics and tiling is still obvious. I look at it this way - if they really added variety to the terrain tiles that would most likely "They have not added much, only some, but in terrain area some are tiling version and others are improved, more you added generic texture, more you have to get higher video card type, (frame rate issue) In general I like more the ground in fs2004 than fs2002, it appears sharper and little more natural in my machine and the autogen is much much better organized, winter texture are better, there is less pink color on some generic texture compare to fs2002. Customizible runways visual and size.Weather and environment/sky kill fs2002 hand down,visibility, clouds type,the amount of clouds, far clouds, clouds touch the ground, they are more 3d clouds, but they don't have particle inside, maybe in fs2006 with more powefull computer and video card. At this stage now I don't care anymore about the 3d clouds, they are enough for me for this version about flying through them. Fs2004 Sky color/haze kill fs2002.-Totally Black sky at night-Point night light generic-Flight Dynamic, I have said nothing about this and I let the expert talk about this.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Hi Gleen, First thanks alot!"""1) Roads at night have lights again - maybe traffic, maybe street lamps, but I've seen it in shots of country roads as well as around major cities.""Just to clarify things, there is no cars traffic on road and there is no streets light's that's illuminate the road see, (the shots attached). The car are only simulated on the night road texture.""2) MUCH less in the way of repeating textures on the ground from up high. Flying over the Prairies or American Midwest should be much less monotonous (and fake looking) than before.""One some area it was improved, on others no, but the terrain in general look better then fs2002.Clouds and lightning are better then fs2002. See shots attachedThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

>-Totally Black sky at nightthis is awesome for a night flyer like me !!Michael J.

Chris,Have you tried any add on Landclass files??? I think 2004 with Justins USA Landclass would be awesome :-)Brian

Guest frankcubillos

>Chris,>>Have you tried any add on Landclass files??? I think 2004 with>Justins USA Landclass would be awesome :-)>>BrianJustin's Land Class and Mesh work and look awesome Brian. :-)http://fsgateway.com/frank/fs9paibeta.jpg

Now if we could just get Justin to update them. Weekly updates my eye. ;( After purchasing Landclass USA and only getting 2-3 updates, will certainly make me think twice before buying from FSGenesis again. Shame even offered help to Justin to fix the horrid looking Chicago area but never got answers to emails.

Guest guyjr

>Just to clarify things, there is no cars traffic on road and>there is no streets light's that's illuminate the road see,>(the shots attached). The car are only simulated on the night>road texture.That's fine by me... I mean, we still have to have _some_ reason to go up in a real C-172 every now and again. :)