Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Disaster! FSX will not start up!

I have had FSX installed and working fine after an i7 upgrade for several months with no problems. This morning, I made several flights with no problem in FSX. At the moment, when I click on my shortcut, or the internal fsx.exe file in the FSX root directory, I get a flicker of the startup screen for just a split second, and then nothing but the retained desktop display. I added or deleted nothing nor made any changes of any kind to my computer, FSX, or anything else since this morning when all was well.First I tried restarting the computer, both by a simple restart, and by shutting down power completely and then restarting the computer.I tried deleting and letting FSX rebuild my fsx.cfg file. Startup does not get far enough to do it (Again, just a flicker of the starup screen for FSX). I have total backups of my drives, including the FSX default folders and files immediately after installation, after the patch, and periodically thereafter. I patched in my backup saved default fsx.cfg and got the same result, just a flicker after actuating the execution file.I tried replacing the fsx.exe file with the orginal default. Same result.I am in the process of renaming and replacing FSX folders and files with the default backups to see if by a process of elimination I can troubleshoot this nightmare and find both the culprit and a solution.If anyone has had this happen to them and already found the problem/solution, it would be greatly appreciated if you would share that knowledge.Thanks:RTH

Repair option from the DVD?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest Nick_N

corrupt log book?Seen that one bite a lot of people in the arse http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?...Resolving_(FSX)Scenario 2) Corrupted Logbook, (do not edit any entry, other than the latest). Subsequently FSX refuses to start, only loading to the initial title screen. Solution - Corrupted Logbook Look for the file - Logbook.BIN in - Filename OS Location Editor Download Logbook.BIN XP C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\ FSX Log Book Editor Lamont Clarke's Software Page (1Mb) Logbook.BIN Vista C:\Users\%username%\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\ FSX Log Book Editor Lamont Clarke's Software Page (1Mb) Rename Logbook.BIN to - Logbook_DATE.BIN Now fire up FSX. Does FSX now load properly ? If so, you had a corrupted logbook.

corrupt log book?Seen that one bite a lot of people in the arse http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?...Resolving_(FSX)Scenario 2) Corrupted Logbook, (do not edit any entry, other than the latest). Subsequently FSX refuses to start, only loading to the initial title screen. Solution - Corrupted Logbook Look for the file - Logbook.BIN in - Filename OS Location Editor Download Logbook.BIN XP C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\ FSX Log Book Editor Lamont Clarke's Software Page (1Mb) Logbook.BIN Vista C:\Users\%username%\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\ FSX Log Book Editor Lamont Clarke's Software Page (1Mb) Rename Logbook.BIN to - Logbook_DATE.BIN Now fire up FSX. Does FSX now load properly ? If so, you had a corrupted logbook.
Another possibility if it's not the logbook, is a corrupted fsx.cfg file. (Happened to me) Just rename it and let FSX build a new one. You will have to edit it to include any tweaks you had in the original file.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Thanks loads Nick, Andy and Ryan for the prompt and kind replies.Sadly, none of the suggestions worked or changed anything, but fortunately I found a simple solution.I am always apprehensive of the feature as it has caused me some misery in the past, but "System Restore" was the solution in this case. I went back to my last automatic restore point there from day before yesterday, and now have FSX working again.I had to authorize a number of addons again during startup, reinstall the "Addon Manager" for the dreamteam airports along with jumping through the hoops for their .dll file if you are familar with that scenario. As near as I can tell, I am back to go again now. I have absolutely no idea what happened or what the glitch was but sure am happy to find a cure. Maybe it had swine flu. It sure was a pig for a few moments there. I don't think I did anything to provoke it.Thanks again.RTH

Afraid I spoke a little too soon.Just got a window thanking me for useing the demo version of FSX and then FSX shut down. I sure didn't know that system restore would cause this. I don't ever remember seeing this in the past when I tried it. Makes me wonder if it is something unique to 64 bit.As I said earlier, sometimes System Restore bites me on the posteria. Guess it is time to scratch it for a bit and see what else I can come up with.To be continued:RTH

Good suggestion, unfortunately, that brought on another problem.Now my startup splash screen stays displayed for about 25 seconds, then i get a error window: "A fatal error occurred."I don't know whether this is progress or not.To be continued:RTH

Repair option from the DVD?

Looks like a delete and re-install to me. You might be happier and better off. I've done it and it's not like the end of the world. Sometimes, it's the best solution for FSX and for YOU.Stan

Well, I was just about ready to agree with Stan, reformat, and reinstall, but may have found a way to get off of the hook.I copied my entire backup of Flight Simulator X letting it overwrite everything. FSX is back up now and appears to be working correctly. No assumptions though, time will tell and I will keep an eye on it with caution for a while.The repair and restore functions sure were not the answer. Things got progressively worse.I have no idea what originated this problem after a shutdown of a healthy working FSX, going away for a while, and then trying to crank FSX up again. I also am puzzled by the demo bit. I have never had a trial version of FSX.AT any rate, hopefully everything is back to go now.Thanks for the suggestions everybody.Respectfully:RTH

Looks like a delete and re-install to me. You might be happier and better off. I've done it and it's not like the end of the world. Sometimes, it's the best solution for FSX and for YOU.Stan
Stan-I just did the full reinstall and it was almost like the end of the world-at the very least like doing taxes. 100 or so add ons and their codes/upgrades/patches...I lost at least 5-6 paywares-one I really cared about (due to win7 64 bit)-and now I am getting a few wierd acting things that will take time to sort out.In any case I am happy to have fsx back with most of my favorite add ons-but I don't think I could take the whole process more than once every 3 years... :( I still say a great opening for an add on-a program that catalogs all your codes/patches/programs etc. and with one click reinstalls everything..

Good morning Geofa:I concur completely on how big a hassle it can be. My i7 upgrade plus getting everything back working literally took weeks (well almost everything working). I went the Win XP Pro 64 bit route. I finally adopted and upgraded an archived secondary computer with Win XP Pro 32 bit in order to retain some software and hardware that was not compatible with the 64 bit OS. At least this finally convinced me to implement WideFS and SimConnect for some FS programs.I also dreaded with a passion having to possibly completely clean the slate and start over with FSX. However, so far it appears that my SyncBackSE Backups may have saved the day. I simply copied and overwrote with my backups of the Flight Simulator X Folder, and the Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX folder and it appears that everything is flying ok again in FSX.In the process of getting everything working again, I found that I don't have the latest updates for GEX and FEX. I am downloading them now.One thing I always do after a new and clean installation of FS9 and/or FSX (plus the patches) is to immediately copy a backup of the default installations. This has saved me a world of pain in troubleshooting at times relative to the process of identifying the culprit by a process of elimination. Then periodical backups of the modified installations with all the addons are a must as well. However, this is included with my periodical total backup of all harddrives. I use to automatically do this every night, but NOD32 causes some errors that really were of no real importance, but I have chosen to just do the backups periodically with NOD32 disabled.Happy flying:RTH

Stan-I just did the full reinstall and it was almost like the end of the world-at the very least like doing taxes. 100 or so add ons and their codes/upgrades/patches...I lost at least 5-6 paywares-one I really cared about (due to win7 64 bit)-and now I am getting a few wierd acting things that will take time to sort out.In any case I am happy to have fsx back with most of my favorite add ons-but I don't think I could take the whole process more than once every 3 years... :( I still say a great opening for an add on-a program that catalogs all your codes/patches/programs etc. and with one click reinstalls everything..

Geofa,I would pay without question for a program like that. I wonder if it can be done? Whenever I had to do a re-install of FSX, I tried to look at it like the "glass is half full", not "half empty". Many of my addons weren't worth the money after purchase because I rarely used them. They only contributed to slowing down the whole experience. Therefore, they didn't get loaded on the re-install. I keep all my purchases in a "receipts" folder in Outlook, so when I have to get the information on an FSX purchase, it's usually in there. All my passwords and registration keys are also organized in my documents folder. I really hate having to reinstall, but after it's done, FSX usually runs much better.I, too, wouldn't relish doing it more than once every several years...so a one click program would be welcome indeed.Stan