Sign in to follow this  
Guest HeavyFan

Real DC-9 Strobe Info PLEASE!??

Guest HeavyFan

Hi all, Was wondering if there is anyone out there that Works on or close contact with Real Life DC-9 Aircraft? I want to Know if the Dc-9 Has 2 Strobes on each wing or just one that is in the same lens Config as the Wing nav light's? or is there a Stobe that also Blinks on the back End of the Wing Tips like the Dc-10 has? I would apprecite the info as i am Adjusting all my AI Planes Light's to have real life Nav And Strobe and beacon Light's to the Realistic positions Per the Real Life Aircraft! So Pleae if anyone has info on these Dc-9 Strobe i would apprecite the Info? Thank's MIKE!-:)>>ALSO look for all these Updated Light's Config in the PAI Forums Under FS Painter Etc....-:)-:)

Guest HeavyFan

BUMP! Anyone has info??

HeavyFan,It's been a couple years since I've worked a -9, but if I recall correctly, on each wingtip there are a pair nav lights. Red on the left wing, and green on the right. One bulb will only illuminate if the other fails (ie. only one is lit at any given time) The nav lights can be seen from the front and sides. There is one white strobe, located adjacent to the nav lights, and enclosed within the nav light lens. The strobe is seen from the front and sides.There is a white position light in a clear housing at the trailing edge of the wingtip. the position lights are seen from the rear and sides.Some aircraft have logo lights. If installed, they are located just inboard of the position light housing, on the trailing edge. the lense faces inboard and aft (aimed at the vertical stabilzer).Landing lights extend and retract from the lower surface of the wing, about 2 feet inboard from the wingtip. There are also two dual intensity taxi/landing lights located on the forward side of the NLG.If you're really interested, there is a nacelle scan light on the aft fuselage, just above the cusp line and forward of the engine nacelle.There are also wing scan, and runway turnoff lights located on the fuselage, forward of the leading edge. Wing scan lights face outward and aft to illuminate the wing leading edge, while the runway turnoff lights face outward and forward at a 45deg angle, illuminating the ground.Hope that helps. Also, I might be confusing the dual nav light bulbs with the configuration used on the 717. There may just be a single bulb. But for FS purposes, I don't think it matters one way or the other...If anyone else has had more recent experience, please correct me if I'm wrong. Best Regards,Nick

Guest HeavyFan

Hey Thank's so much for this wonderfull info Nick!-:). So if i understand Correctly the DC-9's have only a White Strobe Light Located within the same NAV Light lenses in the Foward wing tips, and No Strobes light's at the Back end of the Wings, only has White Nav light's?? If this is correct Please let me know, Since I added Extra Strobes to the AI DC-9 plane, like a DC-10, which i guess is wrong, LOL, Thank's Again, MIKE-:)

According to my DC-9-80 maintenance manual, DC-9-80s (MD80s) do have a strobe in the back of the wing with the white position light.

Guest HeavyFan

Hmm ok, anyway you can check if all the Dc-9's have that Second Strobe on the Back of the wing tip with the White Nav Light on the DC-9-30-40 and 50's? I would aprrecite the info, as I have the Light's set up right now with 2 Strobes on each wing like the Dc-10's? One in the Front with the NAv Light and the other Strobe like you mentioned in the Back of the Wing Tips in Conjunction with the White Nav light! Thank's so much for the Help, MIKE -:)

Sorry Mike, I don't have an AMM for either the -9 or -80. So I can't check. Just know that the MD-80 is a totally different beast than a DC-9, so I would expect that the MD-80's configuration differs from the DC-9's. Remember that the MD-80 has a completely different wing than the DC-9.Again, doing this from memory, so I could be wrong. Just know that if in fact the MD-80 has aft mounted strobes, that doesn't mean the rest of the DC-9 fleet does as well.Best Regards,Nick

Hi Mike,The problem with the older -9's is they didn't come with stobe lights initially. Some of our older a/c actually have an oscillating Nav lights on each wing which looks kinda like the rotating beacon on the old DC-8 but it just oscillates back and forth. Does draw attention to the a/c so I guess it works. Most of them however have been upgraded with a strobe light system that is nearly identical to the MD-80. One in each fwd nav light position (left & right) and one in each aft nav light position (left and right)Hope that helpsRegardsPaul Gollnick :-coolTechnical Operations/Customer Operational SupportPrecision Manuals Development Groupwww.precisionmanuals.com

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

Hey Paul,Thanks for the correction. It occurs to me that I've seen the oscillating nav lights on a USAir DC-9-30 that RON'd next to our aircraft. That was a while ago, and I totally forgot about it until you mentioned it. If I'm not mistaken, I've also seen this setup used in the 727-200, AmeriJet I think... You get to work with some 'classic' equipment on the freight ramps. ;)Best Regards,Nick

Hi Nick,Your right, our old 727 had the same setup before they turned into beercans :-( One thing I liked about working the DC-9 was working on a airplane that was brought into service before I was born (and I ain't that young anymore) :-lol another 10 yrs in em they say.RegardsPaul Gollnick :-coolTechnical Operations/Customer Operational SupportPrecision Manuals Development Groupwww.precisionmanuals.com

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

Guest HeavyFan

Thank's for all the Info on the Dc-9 Strobes, I just made my AI Dc-9's have 2 strobes on each wing, one in the front with the Nav Lenses, and on the back with the White Nav Light similar to how a DC-10 Light's are set up!-:)P.S.> I am also doing the NEw FSP AI AIrbus Planes light's! I see that the A-300 Types of planes like the One American Airlines uses, has a similar set up, nav Light's in the Front Wingtips like most or all planes have, and a White Nav Light at the Back of the Wingtip, Do any of you know if the A-300's have the The Strobe light at the Front with the Nav Light's or only at the Back with the White Nav Light?? Or does it have both, Since i do not see any lenses in the middle of the wingtips like a 777 or 767's have?,... Sorry to ask these Questions, But here in HNL Intl we don't get too much Airbus Heavy's, or none that i have seen up close! So if any of you kind peeps know pleasae let me know, so I can finish the Light's on these AI Planes, and Hopefully they will work great and look great in FS2004! THank's MIKE-:)

Guest HeavyFan

WOW! Thank's this Is an Excellent info for the Dc-9 Series!! Thank's so much for the Pic and help! Now I will double check the light's i did for the DC-9 AI Traffic planes!! If you would like them for your Ai let me know, I will e-mail them to ya, they are for Ardvarks DC-9 series Ai Planes! MIKE-:) -:)