Sign in to follow this  
GTI1741

From E6600 to Q9650 for FSX

I currently have an E6600 dual core overclocked from 2.4ghz to 3.44 ghz using a ASUS P5B-E MB. I am considering upgrading to a Q9650 with a possible flash of the BIOS that will probably be required. I run FSX, FS RealTime and a PIREP reporting program on this system and run X-Graphics, ASA and SB4 networked on an older AMD 3700 system. Here is the rest of the system I'm upgrading:XP / Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz OC'd to 3.44GHZ / Zalman 9700LED / BFG GeForce 8800GTX 768MB / ASUS P5B-E P965 / 3 GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz / 2 x WD Raptors SATA 74GB 10,000 RPM / Antec 1200 / Gateway 24in / Antec TRIO 650W / FSX Deluxe SP1 + Acceleration It looks like I should be able to OC the Q9650 to 4.905ghz ish????What I'm hoping to do with the $400.00 is to gain a noticeable increase of FPS, the ability to up my sliders, smoothness running all the apps and scenery.Your recommendations will be greatly appreciated.Thanks,KenP.S. I know the evil of good is better, and hopefully I won't run into many snags.

If it were me, I'd think about supporting that much CPU with 4GB of 1066 ram, and a GPU with more bandwidth. You wouldn't be sorry.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

I'm not sure where you've come across the notion that any current quad core (or even dual core) processor would overclock to "4.905GHz ish" but I can assure you this is far from accurate. However, 4GHz is obtainable for most high-end quad core or dual core chips given the right mix of components and a willingness to run additional voltage through the chip (which shortens expected life span).

I'm not sure where you've come across the notion that any current quad core (or even dual core) processor would overclock to "4.905GHz ish" but I can assure you this is far from accurate. However, 4GHz is obtainable for most high-end quad core or dual core chips given the right mix of components and a willingness to run additional voltage through the chip (which shortens expected life span).
Isn't this 4.905ghz?q9650oc.jpg

Ditto the ignore. Clearly this is on LN2 or phase change cooling etc. 1,53V, 5GHz and Core0 at 48C - no chance! Or it is simply photoshopped...

Konrad

Likely a "suicide" screen shot or on extreme cooling, and certainly not indicative of the average case. It's not reasonable to expect all CPUs within a particular product family to overclock to any given level based on ONE PERSON'S RESULTS.1.536V @ 4.9GHz on a 45nm quad core is simply not achievable on air cooling. The temps would exceed maximum operating temp within seconds.

Best thing for overclocking is not to try to achieve a specific number but do it little by little. You can get yourself in some trouble the other way.

Best thing for overclocking is not to try to achieve a specific number but do it little by little. You can get yourself in some trouble the other way.
I strongly disagree. I have been overclocking since the 486/Pentium days (AMD "AM 586" chip was my first O/C in '96 100->133MHz) and having a goal in mind is precisely what I do every time. My last two 45nm Intel chips both hit 4GHz and that was what I was aiming for.Slow and steady is just fine, but not having a goal seems rather silly.

Likely a "suicide" screen shot or on extreme cooling, and certainly not indicative of the average case. It's not reasonable to expect all CPUs within a particular product family to overclock to any given level based on ONE PERSON'S RESULTS.1.536V @ 4.9GHz on a 45nm quad core is simply not achievable on air cooling. The temps would exceed maximum operating temp within seconds.
LN2. From Extreme Systems forum.

I agree with the ignore. 4.95 is unachievable for the most part, and unsustainable for any. Be happy with 4.0 if you can achieve and sustain it. I am more conservative than that even.Stephen

Guest chris493

I dunno, maybe he wants to splash out and get CPU watercooling?!?

I dunno, maybe he wants to splash out and get CPU watercooling?!?
Water cooling would not be sufficient to reach 4.95GHz on any CPU for any length of time. You need phase change or LN2. In other words: forget about clockspeeds significantly higher than 4GHz unless you're ready to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on exotic cooling.