Sign in to follow this  
fisheye

Scenery Library List Order

I have long wondered which position is the highest priority on the Scenery Library list in FSX. Anytime I add new scenery it puts it on the list as No. 1 and moves the rest down to a higher number. Is the highest priority position at position number 1? Or is it at the bottom of the list with the highest number. I have had scenery install notes telling me to install parts of the scenery files at a higher priority position from the others and I always assumed in the past it was the lowest number but now have changed my thinking to the opposite with the highest number on the list at the bottom as the highest priority position...Which is right??

The higher position in FSX's GUI, the higher the priority. I think (cannot confirm right now) the recently added scenery has priority: 1 which is the topmost priority

Guest firehawk44
I have long wondered which position is the highest priority on the Scenery Library list in FSX. Anytime I add new scenery it puts it on the list as No. 1 and moves the rest down to a higher number. Is the highest priority position at position number 1? Or is it at the bottom of the list with the highest number. I have had scenery install notes telling me to install parts of the scenery files at a higher priority position from the others and I always assumed in the past it was the lowest number but now have changed my thinking to the opposite with the highest number on the list at the bottom as the highest priority position...Which is right??
Your scenery is loaded via the scenery.cfg (not the Library). If you open up the scenery.cfg, you'll find the scenery at the Number One priority in the Scenery Library is the last scenery area in the scenery.cfg. So, make sure, for instance, you have photo scenery above everything else in the Scenery Library to that it will be the last scenery area that FSX loads when it reads the scenery.cfg. You also want to periodically open up your scenery.cfg (the working one) and make sure Areas/Layers are matched and the Areas are in numerical sequence. If, for instance, you start messing around with the Scenery Library by moving scenery up or down in the list, open up your scenery.cfg and you'll see it is "corrupted" in that the Areas are not in numerical sequence and sometimes the Area/Layers do not match. The scenery.cfg will still load but the consequences may affect the performance of FSX. If I have problems with FSX loading, the first thing I look at is my scenery.cfg...Best regards,Jim

An excellent, free utility to keep your scenery.cfg file in good order is FSTscenery.Steve Greenwood is the author. It was originally made for FS9, but works fine with FSX. A link to his download website is below. Select the "Utility to sort and renumber scenery.cfg layers" line from the 4 downloads shown to download it. Read the readme file carefully and it will explain everything. I just placed the FSTscenery.exe file in my C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX folder (that's where the scenery.cfg file FSX uses is located in WinXP) and made a shortcut to it on my desktop with a shortcut to the scenery.cfg file next to it. Makes running the application, then looking at your scenery.cfg file after (to make sure everything was fixed in it) very easy. http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwood/resources-g.shtml To see how FSX "corrupts" your scenery.cfg file, just "Move Up" or "Move Down" an entry in your Scenery Library in FSX, then hit the OK button and let FSX "rebuild" your scenery. Then go look at your scenery.cfg file. Scroll to the bottom of it, and some of the entries will be out of sequence with layer numbers that don't match anymore, etc. The FSTscenery.exe program fixes those things when you use it after making changes to your Scenery Library. I use it in both FS2004 and FSX.

I tried that scenery utility but it returns a runtime error 53.Gary
If memory serves it requires a VB file - as detailed in his instructions. Perhaps that is missing on your system and is causing the error message. Might be worth checking as this is a neat utility to have and use.

If memory serves it requires a VB file - as detailed in his instructions. Perhaps that is missing on your system and is causing the error message. Might be worth checking as this is a neat utility to have and use.
I checked and installed the correct file. Moved a copy of the scenery.cfg into the FSTscenery file and it returns run time error 13-file mismatch. I tried this several months back and never could get it to work.

Hi Guys, not wanting to hijack the thread, but can anyone who knows, following this thread just confimr for me the best order in the FSX scenery libraray GUI ( not the .cfg file) for my sceneries and mesh? I think i have it right, but would like it confirming.I use tile proxy and all the tile proxy world folders are after the standard install folders. Then, next nearest the top, I have my mesh folders, with the highest resolution meshes above the lower resolution ones. Then my photosceneries and add on cities and airports. at the moment, I dont use other landclass etc such as UTX and GEX.is this the right sequence ? Or should my mesh folders go lower down.?cheers,Mark

Guest LCSims
... Or should my mesh folders go lower down.?
Mesh doesn't require any particular layering setup, as FSX will use the highest resolution that it finds. Only if you have two products covering an area in the same resolution does layering come into play and then FSX will use the higher priority files.I tend to place the mesh entries just above the \Addon Scenery layer, as they come into play very infrequently and any cleaning up of the Scenery.Cfg file tends to occur past the default layers.Pretty much the same applies for photo scenery based products.

Mesh doesn't require any particular layering setup, as FSX will use the highest resolution that it finds.
Hi!I heard differently, that the layering is important (also from a developer). Is there any "official" explanation how the mesh priority really works? Where to look?

I checked and installed the correct file. Moved a copy of the scenery.cfg into the FSTscenery file and it returns run time error 13-file mismatch. I tried this several months back and never could get it to work.
Uh...sounds like you got it BACKWARDS. You place the FSTscenery.exe file in the folder where the Scenery.cfg file is located...not the other way around. For instance, in Vista, that folder would be C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX Then create a desktop shortcut for the FSTscenery.exe file if you want to make it easy to use. Just double-click it, and it will fix your scenery.cfg file in less than a couple seconds. If you also create a desktop shortcut to your scenery.cfg file to open in Notepad, you can double-click it right after, and see the new, correct scenery.cfg file.

Rick Ryan

Hi!I heard differently, that the layering is important (also from a developer). Is there any "official" explanation how the mesh priority really works? Where to look?
It has been confirmed that improperly layered mesh CAN cause a problem in FSX. Your higher resolution mesh should be layered ABOVE any lower resolution mesh. The areas you will most see problems if you don't do this are around some airports that contain their own mesh and are associated with "airport elevation fix files". For instance, FSGenesis terrain mesh now has Version 2 files that come with the main terrain mesh, "altitude adjustment" bgl files that change the terrain elevation of the DEFAULT FSX scenery in SPECIFIC geographical locations of airports, and "AFCAD" type bgl files that change the elevations of individual airports in the coverage area of the terrain mesh. These three separate file types must be "layered" correctly in the Scenery Library to avoid problems. IF you use the "default" installation of the terrain mesh package, it will place many of these files in DEFAULT FSX folders, like the "Scenery\World\Scenery" folder. That will work...but then you can't "manage" those files using the Scenery Library. If you install any terrain mesh products to OTHER than the default FSX folders, you MUST layer it correctly to avoid problems. Higher resolution mesh should be placed at a HIGHER priority than lower resolution mesh. Failure to do so has resulted in confirmed airport elevation problems in areas like Hawaii, Mexico, and Alaska using the FS Genesis mesh packages.If you want more info, I highly recommend you read the below thread. I wrote a tutorial in it about installing Terrain Mesh in FSX. ALSO, start reading the posts dated 6 Apr 2009. It discusses the "priority" of Terrain Mesh, and one of the communities well known mesh developers (Holger) also recommends NOT using the default FSX folders, and layering Terrain Mesh properly to avoid problems.http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...=24965&PN=2Rick

Rick Ryan