Sign in to follow this  
Art_P

Scenery Tech North American Landclass

Is anyone using Scenery Tech North American Landclass? If so, does it improve upon FSX default, upgraded with Ultimate Terrain X? And if it does, which is given priority in the Scenery Library, the Scenery Tech product or Ultimate Terrain?It is my understanding that Ultimate Terrain landclass only affects some urban areas, so the Scenery Tech product could help out other areas. This being true leaves a question about which product does a better job in the urban areas covered by both.

Art

Im using all the ST series with all the UTX series. I find an improvment in the areas UT doesn't enhance. Still have plenty to fly around though. Wasn't a bad price for ST either being the dollar has been so cheap the past few years.All your ST gets sandwiched in between UT Landclass Vegetation and UT Landclass Urban in the scenery library regardless of which ones you have installed.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Is anyone using Scenery Tech North American Landclass? If so, does it improve upon FSX default, upgraded with Ultimate Terrain X? And if it does, which is given priority in the Scenery Library, the Scenery Tech product or Ultimate Terrain?It is my understanding that Ultimate Terrain landclass only affects some urban areas, so the Scenery Tech product could help out other areas. This being true leaves a question about which product does a better job in the urban areas covered by both.
I use it, but not as much as Cloud9's product, which I believe is better in most all cases.I have the default (obviously)UT'sScenery Tech, andFS Genesisand other specialized areasall installed, and switch them off and on 'at will' while flying via the scenery library. They all have their strong points, and weak points, including the default FS landclass, but again, Cloud9 is the winner for me in most all areas, and gets used almost exclusively.....except for some of the SW areas of the U.S. where Scenery Tech works better.Landclass is fairly inexpensive, and if you can afford it, I recommend getting and installing all you can.

I have Scenery Tech's North American Landclass and I really love it. It is especially good for the remote out-of-the way places. It does a wonderful job in the Caribbean. It's one of my "must-haves." For $18, you can't beat it.

Lose not thine airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee.

Using it and loving it. Also using it in Europe along with GEX Europe (I also have GEXUSA). Great combination.Randall

My vote goes to Cloud 9. I tried Scenery Tech for NA over a year ago and it did not do nearly as good a job as Cloud 9 in areas I was very familiar with. Cloud 9 isn't perfect, but was much closer to the mark and a definite improvement over default. However in fairness I do believe Scenery Tech has had a few updates since I tested it.Regards Martin

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

After reading the replies (thanks), I did some searching for information about Cloud 9 and FS Genesis resulting in no information on areas covered in the US products. It is plainly shown that Scenery Tech covers the Caribbean, which I feel is a must. With no information indicating otherwise, I have to assume that Cloud 9 does not, which is a deal-breaker for me.

Art

After reading the replies (thanks), I did some searching for information about Cloud 9 and FS Genesis resulting in no information on areas covered in the US products. It is plainly shown that Scenery Tech covers the Caribbean, which I feel is a must. With no information indicating otherwise, I have to assume that Cloud 9 does not, which is a deal-breaker for me.
I believe the Caribbean may be covered in Cloud9's South American landclass package, but as I do not fly in the Caribbean I cannot tell you for certain. I have the South American package, and it looks as if the areas is included.

For the Boston Area, I found ST better than FSGenesis, but even so, I usually end up turning ST off and just using the UT landclass.

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

For the Boston Area, I found ST better than FSGenesis, but even so, I usually end up turning ST off and just using the UT landclass.
Unfortunately, I find FS Genesis landclass to be the weakest of all the others.I often wonder if Justin will ever decide to take another look at this product.And again, I just cannot say enough positive things about Cloud9, which many seem to dismiss.

head over too fsdreamteam tomorrow is the last day of the sale there having 40% which includes the cloud9 land class products.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

In ONE case none of the payware is as good as original Microsoft. This is Downtown Pittsburgh, PA. Only Microsoft has correct landclass. Granted this is one example but it is not the only one I found. Both Cloud9 and Scenery Tech probably used the same database. The difference is the quality of the manual adjustments. This single example shows that it is really up to the user of FSX to make their own adjustments to any of these products. For that task I use Sbuilder 313. There may be others. Looking at larger USA cities showed fairly accurate textures. Rural areas seemed to suffer from farmland sometimes being classified as towns. I believe the base data is a color coded map that the vendor scans with homemade software to create the FSX files. The decision as to what color represents which landclass texture is thus chosen by the vendor. Obviously the "garbage in - garbage out" applies to the base data.I added Ultimate Terrain USA to show that it also has the city area wrong. In all cases I had only one product enabled in the Scenery Manager except that the basic Microsoft file was always enabled and superseded by the payware products in each case.Microsoft shows correct downtown. Others pretty much the same.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Microsoft shows correct downtown. Others pretty much the same.
This is when having multiple landclass products is the best. Here is Pittsburgh on my machine. Ultimate Terrain Urban above, and Cloud9 below it, and UT Vegetation below that (which gets 'over written' by Cloud9 or Scenery Tech depending on which I have 'turned on, or off')Pitt1.jpg

Very nice. Utx for Urban makes a big difference and having maximum buildings adds the final touch.I noticed that your grass at the Point (stadium addon) has more detail than I do. I have the Land Detail Textures on but the grass is mostly a blur.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

head over too fsdreamteam tomorrow is the last day of the sale there having 40% which includes the cloud9 land class products.
Well that did it. I went ahead and downloaded Cloud 9 USA, Canada and South America for a little less cost than Scenery Tech North America.I'll include it in a new FSX install on a computer I'm currently assembling.

Art