Sign in to follow this  
JGreen5278

Plans for Low budget PC

Hello All,This is my first post here so bare with me, in response to a challenge from a couple of friends my goal is to build the best fsx running machine for the least amount of money roughly less that $400 (lol I know) and shooting for around a steady 20-25fps any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks! The below does not include video card haven't decided on that yet lol.Asus M3A78-EM AMD 780G Socket AM2+ Motherboard - Qty: 1 $79.99 AMD Phenom X4 9850 Quad Core Processor - Qty: 1 $109.99 Ultra X-Wind Socket K8/AM2 CPU Fan - Qty: 1 $19.99 Corsair XMS2 4GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory - Qty: 1 $94.99 Seagate ST3750630AS Barracuda Hard Drive - Qty: 1 $74.99 LG GH22NS50 DVD Writer OEM - Qty: 1 $29.99 Ultra X-Blaster ATX Blk Mid-T Case - Qty: 1 $57.99 Ultra LS500 500-Watt Power Supply - Qty: 1

ws5xzd-6.png
Johnny Green

CFII/SMEL
SF340B+

Do not buy an original Phenom processor. Their performance is often less than the K8 architecture CPUs they replaced. If you're going to go AMD and want to save money, look at the Athlon II line which is based upon the Phenom II. Much faster than the original Phenom at the same clock speed and superior overclocking potential as well.

Do not buy an original Phenom processor. Their performance is often less than the K8 architecture CPUs they replaced. If you're going to go AMD and want to save money, look at the Athlon II line which is based upon the Phenom II. Much faster than the original Phenom at the same clock speed and superior overclocking potential as well.
Oh Really? Wow thanks. I wonder is any of the above nonessential to the cause? Such as under doing it or over doing it?

ws5xzd-6.png
Johnny Green

CFII/SMEL
SF340B+

Most of the rest looks good given your budget. That board is solid and should even allow for decent overclocking headroom.Also you'll want an actual graphics card if you can squeeze one into the budget. Onboard graphics are just too under-powered for most games, even ATi's stellar HD 3xxx and 4xxx integrated graphics parts. Unless you don't mind running at very low resolution (1024x768 or lower) with most graphical settings low or off. You may want to skimp on the RAM for the time being and put the savings towards a graphics card. You could get a single 2GB stick of DDR2 for now and buy another one later.

Most of the rest looks good given your budget. That board is solid and should even allow for decent overclocking headroom.Also you'll want an actual graphics card if you can squeeze one into the budget. Onboard graphics are just too under-powered for most games, even ATi's stellar HD 3xxx and 4xxx integrated graphics parts. Unless you don't mind running at very low resolution (1024x768 or lower) with most graphical settings low or off. You may want to skimp on the RAM for the time being and put the savings towards a graphics card. You could get a single 2GB stick of DDR2 for now and buy another one later.
I totally agree actually been looking at a first cards, any ideas here's one I have been lookiing at by the way thanks so much for your input!Geforce 9800

ws5xzd-6.png
Johnny Green

CFII/SMEL
SF340B+

The 9800 GT is a fine card for FS. I don't suppose you have the option of buying from someone other than tigerdirect though? I ask because their every day pricing is somewhat out of line with what one can find at Micro Center or Newegg. That same card costs $30-$40 less.

The 9800 GT is a fine card for FS. I don't suppose you have the option of buying from someone other than tigerdirect though? I ask because their every day pricing is somewhat out of line with what one can find at Micro Center or Newegg. That same card costs $30-$40 less.
Excellent! Found it for $40 cheaper on microcenter. Well Here are the specs.Asus M2N68-AM SE2 MATX Motherboard AMD Athlon II X4 620 Quad Core Processor (with CPU Fan) Ultra 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with 450-Watt Power Supply 320 GB Western Digital Hard driveLite-On Internal DVD writerGforce 9800GT 1GB DDR3

ws5xzd-6.png
Johnny Green

CFII/SMEL
SF340B+

Excellent! Found it for $40 cheaper on microcenter. Well Here are the specs.Asus M2N68-AM SE2 MATX Motherboard AMD Athlon II X4 620 Quad Core Processor (with CPU Fan) Ultra 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with 450-Watt Power Supply 320 GB Western Digital Hard driveLite-On Internal DVD writerGforce 9800GT 1GB DDR3
To be honest, I would not count on that power supply lasting too long. Though it may turn out just fine...

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I would agree with the last poster about the CPU, don't scrimp on one of these it could be a big mistake. Look at a 'recognised' brand like Antek or Corsair.Not a bad spec for the price but the only way you'll get FSX running at the fps you want is with the sliders well to the left. Start putting on add ons and you'll be in big trouble.

I would agree with the last poster about the CPU, don't scrimp on one of these it could be a big mistake. Look at a 'recognised' brand like Antek or Corsair.Not a bad spec for the price but the only way you'll get FSX running at the fps you want is with the sliders well to the left. Start putting on add ons and you'll be in big trouble.
You think an Athlon II 620 with a 9800 GT is going to run FSX with "the sliders well to the left"?You are wrong. Very, severely, wrong. As for the PSU I agree that a quality branded unit is necessary to maintain stability with high-end components especially over time. It may be possible to get by for awhile on a lesser unit, but you do run the risk of component failure.

You think an Athlon II 620 with a 9800 GT is going to run FSX with "the sliders well to the left"?You are wrong. Very, severely, wrong.

I hope for your sake I am, time will tell my friend!

You think an Athlon II 620 with a 9800 GT is going to run FSX with "the sliders well to the left"?  You are wrong. Very, severely, wrong.

I hope for your sake I am, time will tell my friend!

No hoping is necessary. I stand behind the advice I give. MSFS and the hardware necessary to run it well have been my passion for over a decade now, and I am a PC technician by trade. I have seen FSX running well on similarly-configured systems, and while the 2GB RAM will become a limitation at very high settings and with add-ons, the Athlon II 620 and 9800 GT are certainly up to the task.

No hoping is necessary. I stand behind the advice I give. MSFS and the hardware necessary to run it well have been my passion for over a decade now, and I am a PC technician by trade. I have seen FSX running well on similarly-configured systems, and while the 2GB RAM will become a limitation at very high settings and with add-ons, the Athlon II 620 and 9800 GT are certainly up to the task.
Thanks GuysAll point have definately been taken into consideration ram being a primary concern of mine luckily im around 100 under budget which will lend a much need upgrade to 4GB of ram hopefully I can a low cost 800mhz set. As far as the PSU is concerned been looking at the OCZ PSU

ws5xzd-6.png
Johnny Green

CFII/SMEL
SF340B+

You're on your way to an excellent FSX machine. That PSU is more than adequate.
I hope so lol, just wanted to say thanks for all of you guys help most of the parts should be in tomorrow. Placed the order for the PSU and Corsair RAM and little late but thats ok.

ws5xzd-6.png
Johnny Green

CFII/SMEL
SF340B+