Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

Library Slow?

Have the library downloads been slow yesterday and this morning or is Comcast screwing with my bandwidth again? I can't get higher than 70 kbs trying at various times all day yesterday, last night, and this morning at 7:30 AM EST.If it's the AVSIM library then I understand, but Comcast has been clandestinely pinching their bandwidth since this summer and on Oct. 1 they enacted their 'fair use' policy and my downloads seems slower than dial up. I even bought their "blast" service for 10 buck extra a month and I don't see any difference.Thanks in advance, folks.

Guest Gary Buska

Like any other site there are times when things will be slow. One thing I can tell you you is you can have a internet with 80 Gig down load capability. But none of that matters as when it comes to down loading your speed in which you down load is controlled by the server of the site you connect to. So if the server only sends at 52kb than that is the speed you will get. You can only receive as fast as the site sends it there is no way to speed up the server. Just like your printer it can only receive information so fast so it has a buffer area to store information in other wise it would slow down your systemAll of the sites that brag about there super fast internet speeds like comcast is just a marketing pitch. Now granted if you find a site that has a fast download speed then comcast will be able to handle it.Regards Gary BuskaLibrary Manager Fourm Moderator

Thanks, Gary. I understand all that, and just wanted to know if the AVSIM site was generally slow the last couple of days. The purpose of my post was to put the entire onus on Comcast -- the are di**ing around with our bandwidth, and I'm pi**ed about it! AVSIM is really the only site I ever download anything from any more so I was just asking.I fully appreciate everything you guys do and I donate as often and as much as I can to help.

Guest Gary Buska

As a rule of thumb our site is fairly quick but it depends on so many different things such as the size of the down load what type of files are inside of the zip files can make a differance as well as JPG and BGL files can sometimes take a while to down load. And of course the biggest thing is how many others are downloading and what are they down loading. A while ago there was a new scenery release and it really slowed the system down as everyone wanted it.But we also limit the max size file that can be uploaded so this will help speed things up a bit. It also means that some files will be in more than one upload because of this.Regards Gary BuskaLibrary Manager Forum Moderator

>>>>A while ago there was a new scenery release and it really slowed the system down as everyone wanted it.Yes, I rememer: Kai Tak. Not to belabor the point too much but I guess all I'm asking is: Is everyone else experiencing 35 - 60 kb per second downloads the last 3 or 4 days. I downloaded all the new WOAI packages this morning and never got above 40kb/sec. I'm cancelling by Comcast "Turboboost" and moving to less expensive DSL if I'm the only one experiencing this. (I'm in the mid atlantic region of the US, where Comcast has admitted to intentional bandwidth slow downs, outside of their fair use policy.)