Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Unusual stutter in FS2002

Guest JDH

I recently got a new computer and reloaded FS2002 on it. Specs are AMD AthlonXP2000, 512mb RAM, ATI graphics using 128mb RAM (Shared - got a bit caught out by that) running Windows XP Home. An unusual thing is occuring with it now. Loading a default aircraft at Meigs, I try to rotate the external view and the frames stagger down to about 1fps and the whole thing behaves like I am trying to run it on a p133!!! I have tried this with all sliders to the left with no effect. However, add-on aircraft do not seem to cause the same problem. I loaded the DSB Typhoon at an airport last night and it flew fine. Loaded a default 744 and 1fps, unusable sim.No other programs are running, so does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?TIA

I too had the same issues, this occured when changing from an Nvidia card to an ATI, a significant upgrade I might add.2 Things, make sure you have the latest, drivers downloaded from www.ati.com. I have found that the drivers do change things although I have found that the stutter comes and goes with the new one.I am not sure how computer savvy you are, excuse me if you know exaclty what you are doing, your computer bios needs to be check to make sure that the Ram allocation is in the correct amount for the card and that if it is an AGP, that is also selected. I have one of the newest ASUS boards and it does not automatically recognise this. So look on your computer when it boots up, normally its the delete key which gives acess to the Bios, be careful on what you change, if you dont know what you are doing seek help, otherwise it is fairly straight forward.Hope this helpsIan

Guest JDH

I assume the RAM allocation is correct if set by the manufacturer, i.e. of 512mb RAM, 128mb is for graphics, the other 384mb for general use. As a consequence I am not certain which drivers I would need seeing that I have not got a separate graphics card as such, it is just ATI powered onboard stuff.Well, I'll see what I can do, without actually touching too much!!

Hi JDH,Can you elaborate on your graphics "card"? Also, how long does the slow down last for?If your computer is fresh from the box there are some things you can do to free up some resources so that your system overall will run faster and will virtually eliminate stutters.Once I get a bit more info about your ATI "card" I can suggest the proper drivers.Mikehttp://www.members.shaw.ca/madamo/boeingsig.jpg

I ran into some problems with CFS2 of all things, with my Radeon9500.It started after I upgraded to a new motherboard, CPU, and memory. The problems were resolved when I turned down the AGP setting from 8x to 4x, and turned fastwrites off:http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/22587.jpgThis may be a solution. I think the problem is with my motherboard, not with the Radeon.Dick