Sign in to follow this  
Guest james_2k

DX10 Runway/Taxiway flickering FIX !

I've emailed Jon Masterson (ADE) to point this thread out. Maybe he'll have some insight as to why the "fix" works, and at minimum maybe can automatically have ADE add the fix to all AFCADs for FSX. Might be able to automate something...Thanks again!sg
Awesome! That would be fantastic if he could figure out a way to automate the process for all existing AFCADs. In the meantime, I'm going to try my hand at fixing a couple of airports myself.Quick (and probably stupid) question, is there a certain naming convention that FSX needs to be followed, or can we name the final updated airport anything we want? I'd like to name each airport I do as <AIRPORT NAME>_DX10_FIX.bgl, to make it easy to remove any individual airport's 'extra' .bgl file if I were to download an upgraded version of it so that there wouldn't be any potential conflicts.For example, KGIF is my local airport, so I'd like to name a fixed version KGIF_DX10_FIX.bgl. I know someone that is working on an updated version of my local airport, and with this new information available, I'm pretty sure the new version will be flicker-free in DX10. When it's done, and I go to install it, I'd like to make sure it's as easy as possible to remove my own 'fixed' version so it doesn't interfere with the fully updated version, so I figure being able to name the fixes the way I want would be much easier for me to remove them later, than having to look for some fsx pre-determined filename that has to match whatever ACES defined it to be.Thanks.-George

@DeimusI appologize, I spoke too fast!!!It really doesn't work when all the apron + taxiways + runways have already concrete textures.Let' try to find a solution...Stay tuned!

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

OKThe solution is to change one of the concrete aprons to asphalt.(no need to add a taxiway in this case)No more flickering! :(

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Hi all, Just want to see if I understand this correctly. If an airport has all asphalt taxiways/aprons, then it needs a small, 2 node concrete one added somewhere, but if the airport's taxiways/aprons are all concrete, then the 2 node taxiway I add should be asphalt? So basically, if I'm reading into this correctly, an airport needs to have both asphalt *and* concrete taxiways to prevent the flickering, and which one you add depends on which one the airport already uses by default? I'm asking based on the last two posts by David Roch and Deimus.

Guest james_2k

no need to change a whole apron. you can just add a small asphalt one like in the pic.krno3.th.jpgwierd!ok so it looks like:all concrete airport: add a small asphalt apron (asphalt taxiway doesnt work)others: add a small concrete taxiway.if anyone finds a place where neither work, we can fix that too :)

I wonder, would it hurt anything to just add 1 small asphalt and 1 small concrete taxiways to each airport as a quick fix that should (in theory) fix every airport? On that same subject, in ADE, would it be possible to just copy and paste the two small taxiways into each airport to allow us to possibly fix airports in 'bulk'? Obviously, provided that adding two additional taxiways instead of just one doesn't cause any issues.

Guest james_2k

well i wouldnt know how to do that myself.but im sure the gurus behind ADE would.either way, the only downside to DX10 now is the kinda iffy external AC lights! which i can live with for the extra 50/60 fps

no need to change a whole apron. you can just add a small asphalt one like in the pic.krno3.th.jpgwierd!
Really weird!! I have tried adding a small asphalt taxiway and it didn't work... :(EDIT: Yes, adding a small asphalt APRON works perfectly but not a taxiway

Best regards,
David Roch

Guest Deimus

Well, I just went in and added two small aprons that are are 2'x2', one asphalt and one concrete.....no flicker.Oh...if someone could only get a batch file for this...there would be some happy campers out there. :)

Well, I just went in and added two small aprons that are are 2'x2', one asphalt and one concrete.....no flicker.Oh...if someone could only get a batch file for this...there would be some happy campers out there. :)
That's great news! Now I just have to keep reminding myself 'apron, apron, apron' because for some reason, I have taxiway on the brain lol.

Yes... he will get the famous FSX DX10 Gold Platinium Award of the Century :( Till then... we can already use this thread to upload our modified files or make a zip of some files and upload them in the library!I think we can send a warm thanks to Jon, aka "scruffyduck" for his fantastic ADE tool.

Best regards,
David Roch

So can we name the .bgl's whatever we want, or do we have to use names pre-determined by FSX? And if we can name them whatever we want, should we consider a naming convention to easily identify the .bgls for individual airports should we need to remove any of them from conflicts with other add-on airports that may be installed?

Guest Deimus

I've just messed around a bit more to see if where you add these aprons will make any difference and it does not seem to.I added them on runways, taxiways, other aprons, under buildings, in the middle of nowhere, and it was flicker free every time. I made sure to re-open the stock airport every time so there wasn't a possibility of 'contamination'.Thanks for the original heads up James!!!

Guest Deimus

I'm wondering if there may be a way to edit a commonly found object to call for having these two small aprons placed below it...something like a taxi-sign.If this could be done, it would eliminate the need for something as complicated as a batch file to add them every single airport.

Guest james_2k
So can we name the .bgl's whatever we want, or do we have to use names pre-determined by FSX? And if we can name them whatever we want, should we consider a naming convention to easily identify the .bgls for individual airports should we need to remove any of them from conflicts with other add-on airports that may be installed?
you can call them whatever you like yes. but you shouldnt modify the stock airport if you have an aftermarket AFCAD for that particular airport. you should edit the modified airport or you wont see the changes. (or you will overwrite the modified airport with the stock one +taxiway)
I've just messed around a bit more to see if where you add these aprons will make any difference and it does not seem to.I added them on runways, taxiways, other aprons, under buildings, in the middle of nowhere, and it was flicker free every time. I made sure to re-open the stock airport every time so there wasn't a possibility of 'contamination'.Thanks for the original heads up James!!!
no worries, glad it works :)