Sign in to follow this  
kmanning

MD-11 Crashes to the Desktop before I can finish the Tutorial

Hi all,I've been going over the MD-11 tutorial that came with the MD-11 product. I would run flight simulator while reading the MD-11 tutorial. What I do is I read a section of the tutorial and toggle back to flight simulator by using the alt and tab keys. When I have performed the function called for in the tutorial, I toggle back to the pdf file and read another section of it. At one time, as I was pushing back from the gate, flight sim crashed and did not get to fishish the tutorial. I got the the error message that flight simulator had to close. At another time, I got to push the MD-11 back and started the engines. But it crashed on me again and this time I got the message saying that I did not have enough memory and that my disk may be full. Here is the system I'm running. I'm running Windows Xp SP2 and the flight simulator is FS2004. I have a 250GB hard drive with 161GB of free space. I have 2 GB for ram and a 128 MB Nvidia video card with the latest drivers. I seems like the longer it takes me to go through the tutorial, the more things start to studder and run sluggish. But when fly the MD-11 without going through the tutorial, everything seems to run okay. But I'm not using the FMS. I'm just flying using the auto-pilot. Is there anything I can do to stop this so I can finish the tutorial? Ken.

Full names are asked in this forum, Ken. Boy, I am so afraid of the Alt-Tab function I just stay away from it and use the task bar to switch. There's been a lot of threads on this and full screen weirdness here and I like to keep things simple.

Dan Downs KCRP

Full names are asked in this forum, Ken. Boy, I am so afraid of the Alt-Tab function I just stay away from it and use the task bar to switch. There's been a lot of threads on this and full screen weirdness here and I like to keep things simple.
I've used the taskbar to switch between views on accasions. Using the alt and tab keys or the taskbar to switch between views both perform the same function. My problem was not related to rather I was using the alt and tab keys or using the taskbar but I'm thinking that running FS9 and the pdf tutorial at the same time may have caused the problem. But from what I just read, it seems that those, even with powerful computers, are having the same problem. Is there anything constructive or is there anyone in tech support who is very familiar with this problem? It seems to me there should be a fix for this if this has been an issue for some time. I've typed in the search and viewed the FAQs and I haven't found anything constructive or related to this problem. Why is it so necessary to provide a full name?Ken Manning

Alt-Tab works fine on my system with FS9, though I daren't try it with FSX. Locks up the computer completely if FS is in full screen mode... I have to make sure that everything is started that I need before firing up FSX...Luckily, I have the second PC running for charts, manuals, and so on... :( Andrew

It seems to me there should be a fix for this if this has been an issue for some time.
A common issue with every FS version that I have owned (on my current FSX system it works, although, like Dan, I always hesitate before using it). One thing you can try is update your video driver.Running FS in window mode while you are using the tutorial might also help.