Sign in to follow this  
Guest Boone

Feel like quiting FS2002 with only a few weeks to COF?

Guest jabberthecat

When I start up FS2002 I get this distinct feelingthat I should wait and enjoy the area/flight in COF.Anyone with similiar experiences?- Myles

actually not at all,i think i will actually keep fs2002 for quite a while before switchingRichard

Guest Spilot

I do, I can't wait for it and just am so axnious for it. I just had to reinstall FS2002 because of a glitch and I am only putting on some of my payware a/c till fs2004 too much hassle when I only want that one with the clouds.AdamSpilot692000@yahoo.com

I am with you 100%. It seems like now, I tend to notice things in 2002 that I know have been improved in 2004 and it annoys me now. I find it hard to complete a flight now because I keep thinking about when my pre-ordered copy will arrive.

Yea, I agree, after seeing some of the SS of FS2004, FS2002 has lost some of it's appeal.

Eric 

Well, I have FS2004 and FS2002 certainly hasn't lost any appeal for me. Simply because PIC won't work in COF, I enjoy this addon too much to even contemplate removing FS2002 from my machine.That, and the fact a lot of my other favorite addons require a patch to work. So for now, FS2002 will be staying right where it is.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Not me! I am looking forward to COF, but I still love FS2002. I've spent a lot of time building up my hanger, installing and in some cases creating scenery, mesh etc. When I fly around my home in BC with FSGenesis mesh and ActiveSky weather, I am still amazed at what I see. So yeah, FS2004 is going to be great, but I'm not about to stop using FS2002.

Nope :-) In fact, I will not be buying FS2004. Why not? Well ....The two favourite a/c I fly I would take straight over to FS2004 but one of them probably would not work anyway as it is not Gmax designed. I would also take over my VFR Photographic scenery of the UK as this the most realistic scenery of all. Also, I would take over Gary Summons' addon UK airports. So straight away there are three very basic, essential and important things that I would replace in FS2004 which would negate the purchase of the sim.Then there is improved Autogen which IMO is unrealistic anyway as well as being a drain on resources. ATC is said to be much improved but I don't use any ATC product anyway.AI a/c can be a drain on resources but I am not sure that they would work correctly anyway if you had anything installed other than the default MS airports and airfields. Probably there would be a utility to correct this but personally I would find it a pain setting all this up.Has MS improved the a/c aerodynamics engine? I'm not sure if I have ready anything to suggest that it has. As far as I can see the same stock a/c are still there which I already get in FS2002, so need to change here. As far as the additional a/c which will come with FS2004 - well, they are already available as freeware or payware in FS2002.Now the improved weather engine is certainly something to think about, that's for sure. But having thought and read about it my overall impression is that if you want to go for the 3D volumetric clouds etc then there is going to be a performance hit - that's for sure. Some pics that have been posted on the web have shown horrendously low fps although I don't know the spec of the machine which took them. MS recognise this by including 2D clouds as an option. Well, I have the excellent Skyworld 2D clouds anyway so why buy another sim to get the same?Hardware upgrades must also be considered at some point if you are going to get the most out of the new sim.So, overall for me I cannot honestly see that the new sim is going to give me anything that I don't have at the moment. However, I am not negative about FS2004 at all as it is sure to be another step forward in the march of progress and will be a resounding success.David

Sort of. I'm putting off my next RTW flight until I have FS2004 and a suitable steed (a patched 767 PIC or a more polished PMDG 737NG purchase). I think I could be waiting a bit ...

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Sometime this morning my new Dell 8300 will be delivered. One of my first jobs will be installing FS2002, but I don't think its worth installing ALL of my addons again. I will certainly install all my 'CD package' addons, as thats a simple automatic installation, but as for the many other freeware aircraft etc that I had, well, I don't think I'll bother. Except obviously for a few very personnal favorites.I can't wait for FS2004. I am fortunate in that due to real problems with my old computer recently (to the point where it now won't play any game without crashing, so have been having serious withdrawal symptoms with regard to FS2002!) I have ordered the previously mentioned Dell 8300. As such I am well prepared for FS2004, and it should run like a dream on my new machine. As for not being able to carry over certain addons, well, again I'm fortunate in that the only one I'm concerned about is the Captain Sim 727 for which the guys at Captain Sim have already promised a free FS2004 patch. So there was never any question in my mind about whether I would or would not buy FS2004. But thats just my viewpoint, and I understand anyone who will keep FS2002 on their system for some time to come. But I have to say that I do agree with the initial poster, he said that he is noticing little problems and 'unrealisms' in FS2002, and I have to say I agree. Particularly with regard to the weather in my case! Strange isn't it! The FS2000 clouds were not really very good at all, but when FS2002 was released the weather was very much improved, but now that something better is on its way, I look at the FS2002 clouds and am thoroughly unimpressed! Very strange.Anyway, I pay the most eternal respect to FS2002, it has kept me entertained for COUNTLESS hours during the last 18 months. I can't wait for FS2004 to do the same thing.Regards,Al.

well you know since i have seen all these screenies with fs2004 and all the write up about it and all the functions -landing on multiple runways - :9 i just cant get myself to play fs2002 anymore its like that game is so plain now. But i have to wait till August sometime till i play with fs2004 cause i am in Australia. :-roll

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest CapnCol

When I first started reading about COF I did lose a bit of interest in FS2002. This was probably partly due to the fact that after so many hours I was looking for a different challenge. As a result I learned to paint aircraft and then decided to have a go at designing scenery. There has been (and still is) a steep learning curve for me but I have now got much improved scenery and airports and it has rekindled my interest in the sim.As for COF, yes I have pre-ordered it as I am looking forward to much better weather, but I will probably keep FS2002 on my system until ALL my favourites will work.Colin

Guest JonP01

>well you know since i have seen all these screenies with>fs2004 and all the write up about it and all the functions>-landing on multiple runways - :9 i just cant get myself to>play fs2002 anymore its like that game is so plain now. But i>have to wait till August sometime till i play with fs2004>cause i am in Australia. :-roll Has any shop given you a release date yet? Harvey Norman haven't even heard of FS2004 yet. The best info I am getting is simply "July / August" which doesn't mean much to me. I'd like to pre-order at Harvey Norman because they will take $10 off.

Guest Boone

For me FS2002 remains as addictive as ever, thanks mostly to some wonderful and essential add ons. The interaction and detail with some of these add ons is truly outstanding!Although I can not wait for FS2004, personally I'll only make my purchase when Simflyers, PSS A3XX / Dash 8, Captain Sim and Gary Summons are all (confirmed and close to being) patched.Regards,Boone