Sign in to follow this  

Very strange AI behaviour: what do you think?

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi friends,while waiting behind an Alitalia A320 for LIML tower to give me clearance for takeoff i noticed this very odd things:1)Volare Airlines A320 on short final 4 nm offRwy 36R got its landing clearance and when only a few meters from touchdown pilot told: "Volare XXX is going missed" and did a step climb! WWWHHHAATTTTTT does this means?He only had to touch down and brake. What about souls on board???2)Alitalia A320 was holding short at Rwy36R and 2-3 min. later disappeared so i could receive my takeoff clearance and took off right away.What do you think? Is that normal (for 2k2)? Has this been fixed in 2k4?Thanks in advanceLuigi ;-)

Three questions: 1. Was the Volare A320 on the localizer or too high? AI aircraft will call a missed approach if not on localizer when on short final (or at least they should). They then go around for another approach.2. Did the Alitalia A320 ever contact tower? If no, you have a problem with your AFCAD file. Set the hold point closer to the runway, or make the runway wider in AFCAD. Sometimes putting a regular blue node before (coming from the taxiway) the hold short node also helps. For some reason AI aircraft don't properly contact tower if the hold short node is too far from the runway. They just sit there until their schedule times out and they disappear.3. Was there a lot of traffic on approach on the tower frequency? If there is too much traffic on the tower frequency for a holding aircraft to get a word in and contact tower. In this case again they might just disappear once they run out of time to complete their next scheduled leg. No real solution to this except waiting for the initial traffic jam after loading FS to clear (about 15 minutes). This is caused by the fact that FS loads all flights that were supposed to arrive/depart within the past 15 minutes of the selected time when you load a situation. This is a major cause for irritation at large hub airports as it undoes the best intentions of AI schedulers. Misha

Guest drobson

I had a strange thing happen with a UT America West B737 which was taking off at KSLC. It rotated, then went into a very steep climb attitude and began stalling and losing altitude and crashed. I was behind the terminal building and could not see the result of the crash, but it was very strange to watch.Darrell

Guest drobson

Could be, I don't know. I would think that the AI/Ultimate Traffic craft should be OK, though. Anyway, it was strange, and the first time I'd seen it.Darrell

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi Misha,>1. Was the Volare A320 on the localizer or too high?Volare A320 received its clearance to land and was only a few meters from touchdown after that it declared it was missed and begun climbing...>2. Did the Alitalia A320 ever contact tower? If no, you have a>problem with your AFCAD fileIt was aleady in hold position when i arrived there and contacted tower; however LIML is my home apt and i usually takeoff from 36R w/o any sot of problem. Anyway you told me an interesting thing about AFCAD. Thanks a lot>3. Was there a lot of traffic on approach on the tower>frequency? . No at all. Another interesting reading Misha.I'll save you post for future reference!!!Never learnt enough ;-)cheersLuigi

Guest GabrielR

I saw about the AIs going down just after take off with the old flight dinamics of PAI, but I think that was solved long ago....maybe a very drunk ai pilot... Just kidding

Guest Ken_Salter

Re point 1: were you maybe a little too close to the runway? I have seen where if you aren't on the runway, but close, the AI planes will not land....just a thought.http://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/images/avsim_sig.jpg"I am the keeper of the cheese; you are the lemon merchant"

I recall on using the old PAI A330/A340..they would need almost 13,000ft of runway before they would become airborne. However, with the latest airfiles(V5), they don't eat up the runway as they used too.Sean Harvey(CYEG)