Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

FS9 performance tips

I went back to FS9 after finding that FSX, while I really like it, just doesn't give me the performance I want (and I'm very liberal, so go figure...). Now I'm gradually installing FS9 addons, and between big things I'm testing performance to see how it all works. I have concluded a test now, and the results are as follows:(all figures are at night with UT Europe, WoAI (sliders at 60%) and GEPro installed, with stormy weather, because experience tells me this combination tends to drag down FPS)Aerosoft Stockholm Arlanda/default Cessna - 24 FPS (NOTE: I have a lock at 24 FPS!)Aerosoft Brussels Zaventem/default Cessna - 17-22 FPSUK2000 London Heathrow/default Cessna - 18-24 FPSThese are the biggest and busiest airports I have. Brussels isn't as busy, but it is the most "crappy" scenery I own, in that it isn't well optimized (it is actually a very pretty scenery, but my FPS are always low there for some unknown reason).Anyway, you might understand I'm not happy with only 17FPS in FS9 at these airports, particularly because I intend to fly the PMDG 747 and Maddog 2008. Note that now all my sliders are maxed out and I have followed up Nick's advice on FS configuration and nHancer settings. And now comes my question:Anybody have any tips to get performance up?IMPORTANT NOTE: Something that I didn't have time to test yet: while I was testing, I was defragging one of the four partitions on the disk FS2004 is installed on. I have no idea if this affects performance and in what way the defragging process affects it. Maybe somebody can tell me...? (Probably a stupid question, but oh well).

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

BenjaminAs far as EGLL is concerned, are you running the new Heathrow Xtreme or the old Heathrow Pro? I found the latter ate frames (as did the even older UK2000 one) but Gary's latest Xtreme version is a lot less demanding. You might like to download the demo to see what sort of improvement you get?Ian

I have the new one, not the old one. Thanks anyway for trying to help.UPDATE: I installed the Maddog 2008 and did the same test as with the Cessna, at EGLL and ESSA. FPS were between 10 and 18 at the airport, as soon as I took off and left the airport behind me, FPS were a steady 24, consistent with the FPS lock of 24. I'm not happy with this. I mean, it is better than FSX no doubt (in FSX I also didn't get nice FPS outside of airports, or I would have to fly over water), but I had hoped to get 24FPS at airports too. I have now turned off "ground scenery casts shadows", hopinh it will help. Any other tips of what to turn off or put at a lower setting? Again, note that ALL sliders are maxed! So, there is plenty that I can put lower. One thing I won't put lower, though, is texture size/resolution. That will be fixed at its highest setting.Any help will be appreciated!

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Benjamin, make sure you have Transform and Lighting checked, visibility set to the lowest setting (60 I think it is?), and Anti-aliasing unchecked in the sim. I am sure have already done this, but just in case.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Just recently installed FS9 on my new Vista machine - for some reason my biggest FPS hit was with water effects turned on - turned them of and the FPS almost doubled. Other sliders full.

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

Okay, thanks, I'll try it out.Right now, I drive around NL2000's EHAM scenery with the PMDG 747 with FPS ranging from 12 to 18FPS, which is better than I expected. I'm beginnging to really like FS9, you know :(

Benjamin van Soldt

I'm beginnging to really like FS9, you know
Better late than never :(

I'm beginnging to really like FS9, you know :(
I know the feeling. Since I got the buggy but good Airsimmer A320 I've been rediscovering FS9, and it ain't half bad!Just did a flight in the 'Bus from EGLL to LIRF and all seemed ok in my little simulated world, although I could do with some scenery and airport upgrades. Rome especially needs some improvements.Reckon I'll graduate onto FS 2002 next year and break out the Dreamfleet 737.... :( Ian